Pilot Relief Tube

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lenny flank said:
Well, rain is just distilled water. No different than the astronauts drinking their own distilled pee.

:)

TrainChaser said:
What I find amusing is the great number of people who refuse to drink rainwater (collected on a clean surface and into a clean container), which is said to be about twenty times cleaner than ANY ground water.  America, land of the fearful.

Ya'll never heard of 'acid rain'? That same rainwater that leaves the air smelling so clean is full of the pollutants, natural and man-made, that it scrubbed from the air, on its way to the ground.

I would not consume rainwater. For other uses it is probably ok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_rain

tx2sturgis said:
I would not consume rainwater. For other uses it is probably ok.

I should have said I would not consume 'un-filtered' rainwater.

All of us drink filtered rainwater every day...

lenny flank said:
That is pretty similar to the system that astronauts use, except their tank then empties out into the vacuum of space.

Each astronaut has his or her personal detachable funnel for their own exclusive use.

Ohhhh! So THEY are the ones who put the P in S-P-A-C-E!  :D

Stop by a general aviation airport and in the store at most you will find both male and female relief tubes. They work well.

The Earth is a closed system; all water is recycled dinosaur piss.

"Ya'll never heard of 'acid rain'? That same rainwater that leaves the air smelling so clean is full of the pollutants, natural and man-made, that it scrubbed from the air, on its way to the ground.   I would not consume rainwater. For other uses it is probably ok."

More than half the country (western half) doesn't have a problem with acid rain.  So, what's the excuse there?

Do you know how acidic acid rain really is?  It has HALF the acidity as tomato juice or CocaCola.  Horrors! 

After it  hits the ground, the stuff on and in the soil ADDS to the contamination:  bacteria, viruses, parasites, heavy metals, farm chemicals, home pesticides, fertilizers, herbicides and leaking septic tanks, industrial chemicals, leaking fuel tanks, oil shale drilling contamination, etc.  The CDC says more than 15 million households rely on private wells.  How often do you think they test it?  (Answer: most only have it tested after they realize they have a problem.)  Most of the people around here (farm area) don't filter their well water, and if they have a filter, they can't remember the last time they changed the filter ("When it was installed 40 years ago, I guess.")

Here's a basic list of groundwater contaminants from the U.S. Geological Survey people:  https://water.usgs.gov/edu/groundwater-contaminants.html Kind of scary, huh?

Most of that stuff ISN'T found in rainwater.  For rainwater, the main two contaminants are sulfur dioxide and nitrous oxide, which lower the acidity to about 5.6; Pepsi is worse, 2.56.  The biggest danger from this stuff is INHALING IT DRY FROM THE AIR, which can cause respiratory diseases, or make existing respiratory diseases like asthma or chronic bronchitis worse.  Do the people who live in the NE quarter of the U.S. routinely wear masks to filter the air they breathe?  I've been there, and they don't. Are all (or even most) of the Coke and Pepsi drinkers gonna stop ingesting it? Not bloody likely, as the Brits would say.

If someone (like the media) tells you to be afraid of something, it's probably a good idea to find out exactly what the real dangers ARE.  The media are fearmongers.  Bad news is good news, and good news is no news because it doesn't make them any money.

TMG51 said:
The Earth is a closed system; all water is recycled dinosaur piss.

Ah...

A new idea for beer:

Tee-Tee Rex Dark Ale.

The Oldest Stuff on Earth.

dinosaur-animation-18.gif

Attachments

• dinosaur-animation-18.gif
    dinosaur-animation-18.gif
    131.3 KB · Views: 1
tx2sturgis said:
Ah...

A new idea for beer:

Tee-Tee Rex Dark Ale.

The Oldest Stuff on Earth.

Pre-carbonated!

Me and mine have collected all our drinking water from the roof for the last 43 years. A diverter system takes first flush to the garden. No chlorine, no Alum, and no mineral content. Yeah, a couple of green frogs live in the down pipes but the whole family has outstanding gut health.

But back on topic - I found a cut down top of a toilet cleaning product bottle fits snugly into a standard 2 litre soda bottle. As per the original post, a mix of water and alcohol cleans the funnel immediately after use and the original soda bottle lid contains things until an appropriate place to dispose comes along. For me, beats filling the Porta Pottie up with just liquid.

don't know about Dino pee but I do know about Bear Whiz Beer.

bear wiz.jpg

highdesertranger

Attachments

• bear wiz.jpg
    bear wiz.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 2
lenny flank said:
Well, rain is just distilled water. No different than the astronauts drinking their own distilled pee.

:)

No. No it isn't. Not even a little bit. You might not believe the number of virus and bacteria in a rain drop not to mention the dissolved solids that accumulate as that drop falls through the atmosphere.

Filter and boil ALL water in survival situations, including RAIN water. It can make you very very sick.

Army Chinook Helicopters have relief tubes in the cargo compartment. Always referred to as "piss a phones". Many a funny moment explaining to a newbie that they were voice communication tubes for the backenders to talk to the pilots without breaking OpSec. Standard prank was to instruct newbie to talk into the funnel end while going to the cockpit to answer them as a demo of how they work. I will leave it to people's imagination as to the reactions to being tricked into getting up close, and worse, to an uncleared funnel.

abnorm said:
This tread should automatically get me into some club...........

Alto this was designed and tested as a manly device I'm certain my wife would have had success using it...............YMMV    doug

Thanks, bro!  I'd say the "smart guys willing to share" club.  I really would like to put a urinal in my cargo trailer, but would love to find one made of plastic.  I like your solution.  

I guess I could just drill a hole in the wall of my trailer, but even *I* have more class than that.   :D

Here's something else I'm considering ... 

http://www.rehabmart.com/product/ur...YJ8_UiUat0vR0vsdBsOFNv_artfjUX4UaApuEEALw_wcB

SO much off topic in this thread, haha. - I like the wide mouth juice bottles on the Ocean Spray little bottles. The juice is alright and the wide mouth is helpful. Also, the small size is good since you don't want to store urine very long. If you're like me and live in a hot climate be sure you squeeze the bottle before sealing so that heat expansion and off-gassing doesn't result in the dreaded "Piss-Bomb". Not the most dollar friendly option for juice but reusing the bottle for urine is nice. Good zip lock bags do work on the short term. Huge opening. We used them occasionally in our HMMWV ("Humvee") when it was the only good option. Of course, we were actually using the zip lock drink pouches out of our MREs but same difference.