PICS OF YOUR CAMP

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken in Anaheim

Reaction score
I've seen the thread asking for pics of "What's out Your Window' but I'd really like to see what your all-set-up camp spot looks like: vehicle,tables,tarps,etc.etc.....Please

Kind of surprised this isn't getting ANY response (?).
     So, you've forced me to reveal my ugly secret.......Hi, I'm Ken and i'm a VIRGIN !!!!! I've NEVER been camping. There, I said it.
I was raised in the city, my Dad died when I was 6 and Mom never remarried. I'm 68, never married and I just never hung with "camper people".
    The reason I asked for camp-set-up pics was because I wanted to get an idea of what A CAMP SITE looked like. Not just the interior of a van,trailer or car but the actual area where (I assume) most people spend their time.
     So, come on....give me a peek behind the curtain.....please.
Thanks

Death Valley 2016 by Sierra Shadow2009, on Flickr

I tend to move everyday, so I don't set out a full camp. A chair, a table, a footstool are about the extent of my "set-up". But I think you are stressing out over this too much. You will see all kinds of things in campgrounds. From a ground cloth only, tents and hammocks, trailers, truck campers, vans, RV's, buses, you name it. There is no "right way" to camp. It all depends on your level of comfort, space and weight restrictions, and weather tolerances. You have to be better prepared the farther away from civilization you get, so the first few times try to find something close by so you can run home if the going gets tough. Then progress up to campgrounds farther from home, but close enough to stores to get whatever you forgot. As you get more experience (and looking at what other people in campgrounds are doing - remember a nightly walk can reveal a lot because everything is much more public and visible). I recommend if possible getting duplicate cook and dish things and putting them in a dedicated "camp box" so you don't forget things. Also make lists of what you brought as well as what you wish you had brought. Eventually you will get to the point (if you want to) of "boondocking" where you have everything you need and don't even need a campground. But it is a process. It all depends on your vehicle. I have even gotten to the point where I have a campground in a suitcase. I fly to interesting places and camp out of a rental car. So anything is possible. But the secret is just do it. Yes, it will be out of your comfort zone, yes, you will make mistakes (hopefully not life threatening ones), yes, you will have fun - eventually.

Keep asking questions though. I am impressed that you are willing to try even though you weren't raised with camping. I find people who didn't do it by college age never quite understand the possibilities. If all else fails, Google campsite pictures. I've done it many times.

We don't do a lot of setup either. We have so many windows that our RV is almost like a screened porch with views and breezes from every direction. We move often but if we did stay longer we'd probably get a table and rug to use under an awning.

Here's a beautiful free camping spot( where we are now) that I found by searching BLM lands on Google maps satellite view.

Attachments

• 002a.jpg
    002a.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 73
Don't have many pictures of my camp.  It's nothing impressive: camper, table, grill, and sometimes a lawnchair.

1 Burr Trail camp.jpg

2 Valley of the gods.jpg

-- Spiff

Attachments

• 1 Burr Trail camp.jpg
    1 Burr Trail camp.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 2 Valley of the gods.jpg
    2 Valley of the gods.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 26
ok I'll play,
DSCN1617 (640x480).jpgDSCN1772 (640x480).jpgDSCN1442 (640x480).jpgDSCN1208 (640x480).jpgkurb in garden.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1617 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1617 (640x480).jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1772 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1772 (640x480).jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1442 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1442 (640x480).jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN1208 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1208 (640x480).jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 41
  • kurb in garden.jpg
    kurb in garden.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 45
I used to camp here for weeks on end.  Not my camp in the photo:

IMG_1572copy_zpsba6624aa.jpg

I miss Baja, but the door slammed me in the ass on the way out in 2008 and I've stayed away.

One plus about camping next to the ocean.....What Tinnitus?

bseek said:

I pride myself on the fact that I often re-purpose things and often use them for tasks they were not intended for.  I do a lot of "roadside shopping", re-using things I find and passing along usable items to others.  

I grew up in a home where "pride goeth before a fall" was often heard.
Well I nearly fell over when I saw your ironing board camping kitchen table    :D  That's just slicker than greased Owl s**t......I like it! I have one just like it [now]...no kidding they are light weight and fold easily and take up very little space.  IMO Great Idea!          TJB

Hi Ken,  If you live close to a state line there are often Welcome Centers going into and out of states.  Usually there will be color brochures of  state and federal campgrounds, also of private campgrounds.  I think these usually have pictures of both empty sites and sites in use.

I'm not traveling or camping at this time however some of my earliest memories are fishing with my parents/grandparents in the mid 1950s.   I like woods, water and prairies.  I've had numerous trailers, tents, campers, 3 vans, and even a tipi.  Camping is great in that each person can decide what suits them the best and just go for it!

Sometimes I just make a lunch, maybe take a book, put my little dog in the truck and go to local parks just to get out of the house.  Sometimes we are alone and sometimes another " Old Bat [like me] or Old Fart" will stop by for a visit.

I'm curious, are you thinking about going camping?  There are a lot of options if you are....help getting questions answered too,  just ask.             Jewellann and Queenie

I don't have a picture of where I am today ,,,just go look at a Walmart parking lot....but mine's in Maine !
Here's some of my fave's
Reco 10.jpg

DV-FCR-Site 77 bk.JPG

Stern's comment about tinnitus is so true , the waves are nature's white noise generators !

Bseek's ironing board also works great as an office desk , room for a laptop and a printer and height is always perfect no matter what you're sitting on or standing too ....

Attachments

• Reco 10.jpg
    Reco 10.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DV-FCR-Site 77 bk.JPG
    DV-FCR-Site 77 bk.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
FLAGSTAFF, ARIZONA
Camped by a waterhole watching deer and other animals in the beautiful Ponderosa Pine Forest
6 miles to Walmart and Home Depot
27 over the air TV Stations
Fantastic Cell service
PEACE AND TRANQUILITY
Sameer and Mr. Pico
View attachment 7696

Most of the time, my camp looks like a cargo van just parked there. Sometimes there's a chair. If I'm in a cooking mood, there will be a small folding table and a one-burner stove next to the van for however long it takes to make the meal and clean up. Then it all gets put away in the van. Sometimes, but not often, when it's too hot and there's no shade, I rig a tarp on the side of the van. I used to have a step, but I kept running over them or leaving them behind. One of my goals when I started living this life was not need to take anything out of the van in order to live in it. Just turn off the engine and set the brake. I don't even use leveling devices. I'm the type who doesn't stay in one place very long. So I don't want to be unpacking, setting up, taking it down and packing it away every few days. And if I need to do the occasional Wallydocking or stealth camping, I'm always ready.

I will play too,  you asked for it there's a lot,

158.jpg
central CA,  only here a couple of days so not a full camp.

oregon 045 - Copy.jpg
eastern Oregon,  Scout is in his bed that he shares with me on occasion.

oregon 044 - Copy.jpg
another view, eastern OR.

oregon 048 - Copy.jpg
another view,  eastern OR.

oregon 049 - Copy.jpg
and another view eastern OR.
stay tuned more to come.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• 158.jpg
    158.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 62
  • oregon 045 - Copy.jpg
    oregon 045 - Copy.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 65
  • oregon 044 - Copy.jpg
    oregon 044 - Copy.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 52
  • oregon 048 - Copy.jpg
    oregon 048 - Copy.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 45
  • oregon 049 - Copy.jpg
    oregon 049 - Copy.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 42
here you go,  more,

002 - Copy.JPG
Northern Nevada

oregon 050 - Copy.jpg
Eastern OR

132 - Copy.JPG
Northern NV.  you can barely see my truck in this pick.  if it wasn't for the license plate most would overlook.

13620002.jpg
another Eastern OR view.  more to come.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• 002 - Copy.JPG
    002 - Copy.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 29
  • oregon 050 - Copy.jpg
    oregon 050 - Copy.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 132 - Copy.JPG
    132 - Copy.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 13620002.jpg
    13620002.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 24
here you go,

2014 001 - Copy.JPG
central CA.

2014 012 - Copy.JPG
central NV,  no tarps here we had a perfect shelter in the old building.  it did rain on us here.

2014 018 - Copy.JPG
a closer view.

2014 038 - Copy.JPG
yet another central NV camp.  more to come.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• 2014 001 - Copy.JPG
    2014 001 - Copy.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 2014 012 - Copy.JPG
    2014 012 - Copy.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 2014 018 - Copy.JPG