PHONES ETC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiANA R

Reaction score
Hello out there,
I was wondering if anyone has used the Tracfone network for your smart phone? How does it work for you? I have never used a smartphone in my life because they cost so much. But I guess they might be handy to have. Then I would have to have a text,talk,data thing going on and I can barely work a computer-I use youtube, email, watch movies and connect with cheaprvliving, HOWA and some other stuff for research.
i  recently found a phone on AMZ that is pretty cheap for $181.00 and now I would like to unhook from Verizon and pay as I go. Does that work for anyone out there?
Hope to hear from you.

I'm not a fan of TracFone. I used them a long time ago but they were pretty lacking for the things that I needed in my daily and work life.  Internet searches, social media, temp work searches, good emailing with the ability to view documents and now photos or videos. I believe it's really going to depend on how you want to use your phone. If you're only using it for phone and the occasional email or even social media. You really don't need anything fancy And I can probably stick with something pretty basic. But if you do a lot of online stuff or you're looking for temp work etc I would seriously consider getting a more practical and user-friendly phone.

I  bought a Google Pixel phone because I do use it quite a bit for various things and I didn't want to keep buying new phones every couple of years. The phone was expensive and I got an expensive cover for it to protect it from me/all the times I have and will continue to drop my phone on accident. As I am replying to you I'm doing this on my phone. I can watch Netflix, prime video or even Hulu if I want you on the phone. Photos and videos are pretty good on this phone as well. I also have Google voice so that if I miss a call it goes to my email. Anything I add to my calendar is instantly updated to both my phone and on my online calendar.

Since you're new to smartphones I would recommend that you start off with something inexpensive and see how that works for you before you invest a lot of money into something like a Pixel or even an iPhone. It won't give you all of the things you might like though such as viewing Netflix or Hulu on your phone though. For that I would definitely consider a tablet.

I got a ZTE blade A3 prime for something like $89 when I got onto visible. And the visible plan has been working great for me now at $25 a month unlimited. There are some in the forum who are looking for another party to get on the group plan. I don’t know how it would work in your area but I Have been on it for three months and it worked perfectly. Although I don’t understand all the things the smart phone has so I don’t need a more expensive one for sure.

Thank you for your reply sierranighttide. I would eventually like to do a lot with a phone. It seems that you could use it instead of a computer and would drain a lot less energy-is that a fair statement? Also, what network do you use?
I would like to use it for maps and gps too.

Going to check out visible-I have never heard of it. But if they offer a phone at such a good price along with a $25 plan that sounds very reasonable. I am sick of Verizon and how hard it is to talk to cust. service and all the junk they add onto the bill. Can you tell me what network visible is connected to? I could not find the network names that tracfone uses. It was posted nowhere on their site or at least I couldn't find them. There seem to be many new phone plans coming out with good prices for plans that add no frilly stuff like the big phone companies do. Thanks for your reply :)

After years of iPhones on AT&T and then Verizon, I got an LG Rebel 4 on special for $19.95 at Walmart and a prepaid card from SmartTalk/Tracfone for $35/month. There's not much storage and the camera doesn't have all the whizbang features, but it works fine and is all I really need.

Hi MrNoodly, I love it! a phone for $20.00 bucks...........I will be checking it out. I think I might need a bit more because I want mobile hotspots. But have just started my search for what I think will help most on the road. I want weather and directions, gps and good reception. As I dig into this more, which I have been doing for hours now, the Visible plan mentioned above is interesting and it is Verizon as far as I can tell. Even though I don't know exactly what I will need it kinda almost seems like I wouldn't even need a computer if I could work a smartphone. So going with a cheap month to month of unlimited talk text, data(I am only just learning the jargon) might be the way to go....

I had an at&t prepay plan that worked ok for me. They took payment from my bank every month for about 40 bucks a month. My first thought was... that’s a lot of deer! ? Haha!
Then as a first responder got on an unlimited plan for similar cost. But that too was available from Walmart I believe.

Might want to check out Consumer Cellular as well.

I've been using Visible for three months now, was streaming YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram videos thru my phone's hotspot to my Amazon tablet with no problems on BLM land on the shores of Walker Lake Nevada last night. I bought the ghost pepper phone $179, after paying second month's service I got a $100 debit card, so my next four month's service is free.

There is only chat based customer service, so if you depend on a helping hand with technology, it may not be your best choice. I've had no need to contact them, twice I restarted my phone when it had trouble, that's the extent of my issues, I love it!

sierranighttide said:
"I bought a Google Pixel phone because I do use it quite a bit for various things and I didn't want to keep buying new phones every couple of years. The phone was expensive..."

Agreed, but the Google-branded phones are a good idea as they run bone stock Android and Google provides updates for that longer than any, other Android-based phone vendor I know of. To save a bit of money, get the Google Pixel with the 'a' in the model name (e.g. Pixel 4a vs. Pixel 4). Those are their mid-priced line of phones, and the features are still quite nice. They'd suit almost any avg. user just fine.

If anyone is low income you can get a free phone from the government. Not very good but certainly good for emergencies. I’m addicted to two things I said I’d never use: an old Kindle and my iPhone. I’ve had 3 iPads and killed them all. Love them but I can’t afford to keep buying new ones. They’re expensive. Am I OT yet again? Verizon seems to work best in the West at least in my experience.