Pets & Los Algodones, Mexico ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
Sometime after February 8th, I intend to get some dental work done in Los Algodones. It will be my first time there so any dental recommendations are welcome.

What do you do with your pets when you go there? Do you take them with you? Leave them in the vehicle with water and ventilation? Board them for a day?

I've already got my passport in hand so I'm set on that point. Anything else I haven't asked about but that you think useful, feel free to advise.

Thanks!

Richard said:
Sometime after February 8th, I intend to get some dental work done in Los Algodones. It will be my first time there so any dental recommendations are welcome.

What do you do with your pets when you go there? Do you take them with you? Leave them in the vehicle with water and ventilation? Board them for a day?

I've already got my passport in hand so I'm set on that point. Anything else I haven't asked about but that you think useful, feel free to advise.

Thanks!
I just went across today. I did not see anyone with pets. Mine was in the RV. Hope this helps,

Caryn

If the weather is not too hot and you can safely leave them in your vehicle stateside, that might be the way to go. Otherwise, you can take two pets with you if they have a certificate of health and proof of rabies vaccination (I think, you should check the Mexican immigration site). I don't know what you would do with them in Mexico though unless the dentist will allow them in with you.

I suspect that pets are the reason that so many people make their medical/dental trips to Mexico in the winter. Even though the weather is better, it can still be warm enough in winter to be a danger to confined animals.

First, always point the van NORTH. The sun is low on the horizon in winter, and you don't want to face into the sun.

Next, cover the SOUTH-facing windows for the same reason.

At the end of the RTR, Bob mentioned a caravan of folks going to Los Algodones. If you could travel with a group of other people, maybe you could all park together and someone could stay and keep an eye on the group of rigs. This way, you could also leave windows open, covered with screened frames for ventilation.

Taking your pet INto Mexico isn't the problem. Bringing them back IN to the US may be. When I went to Alaska three years ago, the State of Alaska required a health certificate signed by a USDA certified vet less than 30 days old to enter the state.

Each state has a state vet. Call the office in the state where you will be re-entering the US and speak to the vet! Ask what that state's requirements are. Do NOT rely on anyone else's statements. When I called the Alaska state vet's office, someone told me the certificate had to be signed by the state vet in the state of origin. Found out later, when my state vet refused to sign it, that was not true.

So if you're crossing in AZ, find out the AZ requirements for bringing your pet back from Mexico.

And yes, when I entered Alaska, border crossing did ask for the health certificate.

"When I called the Alaska state vet's office, someone told me the certificate had to be signed by the state vet in the state of origin. Found out later, when my state vet refused to sign it, that was not true."

The only person who has to sign it is the licensed veterinarian who did the physical exam of the animal. And I believe the pet also has to be up to date on rabies vaccinations (also carry the rabies certificate with you).

Personally, I would NOT take my pet to Mexico. With all of the daily changes by the Feds designed to relieve us of our rights, who knows what (correctly) is always in doubt.

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. I hadn't any desire to bring my pet with me if entering on foot. I just wanted to know what others in my situation do.

I'm currently hanging around Yuma. There's a vet here who can do the Int'l health cert. for $130, but they can't see me until the end of February. Another vet can see me within a week and, unsurprisingly, they charge $176.

My initial crossing will be on foot and I'm likely to park smartly, leave windows open, plenty of food and water, and try to get into and out of Mexico as quickly as possible. Beyond the immediate dental needs, I'm inclined to cross into Mexico with my vehicle and explore some possible long-term places to hang around.

Amazing. When I worked for a vet in SoCal, the cost of a health certificate was the price of an office call. Checking around for prices might be a good idea.

Latest posts