perhaps I should do some homework

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
Okee Dokee. What I have so far: 2001 Ford E350xl Yakima mega warrior rack waico cf40 refer Yeti tundra cooler Mac mini 12 volt small monitor. in 2 days I give notice 7/1/13 I will be uncumbered with a job (which is why it has taken me a while) what I do not have:<br>solar panels / controller and 2x 6 volt batteries. I will be using the decommissioned bus step hide motor location metal box pictured below. Approx 10" x 24" wide and very deep.<br>I do not like to buy things twice so on my list is 2 x deep 6 volt GC batteries 2 solar panels or one larger one and I would like to put the controller in the battery area. Wadda ye think???

Hi Adrian,<br><br>You'll like your Yakima Mega Warrior Basket! You might also consider the Yakima Crossbar(s) as well, plus Yakima lock and keys to go with everything.&nbsp; I also got accessories to go with the basket, such as a spare tire holder, and the special netting to hold everything in place.&nbsp; Those Yakima accessory items are sold at any REI Sports stores.<br><br>By the way, I recently had to apply some light touch up paint to the edges of my own Yakima basket. I noticed some minor rust spots along the top sides of the basket.&nbsp; I went to a local Ace Hardware store and got their Ace Rust Stop paint in black color and applied to the minor rust spots.&nbsp; You might want to do that too.<br><br>Cheers,<br>Casey

Hey casey how ye been. Yah I would have liked aluminum more rustolium is a great product. I am getting close to my "d" day. Hope all is well with your super rig. I love all the details.

If at all possible put the controller in a protected area away from battery gases and temperature extremes.

Hi Adrian,<br><br>Yeah, just buy a can from Ace Hardware store, only costs a few/several dollars for a small can.&nbsp;&nbsp;The Ace Rust Stop paint comes in different colors, including Nickel/Silver color.&nbsp; I almost got the spray can version, but then realized it would be much better to get the liquid paint instead.&nbsp; Yah, my rig is coming along pretty well!&nbsp; I think I FINALLY got the sporadic engine start problem resolved after 3 separate repair jobs and $3,000 later, geez!!&nbsp; I just got a new Garmin 2597LMT GPS unit, which is fantastic!&nbsp; My other current projects are to add a swivel base to my passenger seat, plus another removable table.&nbsp; I'm also going to install a BlackVue HD/WiFi security camera too.&nbsp; I can't wait to see your own rig again after you've gussied it up!&nbsp; I read something about your "D" day earlier, but don't recall exactly what it's about.&nbsp; I imagine it must be your get-away plan to the land of Pina Coladas and cocoanut trees!&nbsp; Wish you the best!!<br><br>Casey

<EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Why the 6 volt batteries. Wagoneer</SPAN></STRONG></EM>.

Six volt golf cart batteries are inexpensive, readily available, high amp hour, and most important true deep cycle batteries. Two six volt in series to make 12 volts.

rok guy, &nbsp;true 12v deep cycles are hard to find here and when you do they are very expensive.&nbsp;&nbsp; highdesertranger

2 panels. Make sure that the controller is accessible and away from gases. <br><br>James AKA Lynx