pepper spray?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hillbilly, Periodically?! Was your sergeant a sadist? Were you trying to build up an immunity? I will always remember my time in the "gas chamber". Who needs a reminder of that? Do you have a bad memory? That's horrible, Hillbilly.

Johnny Knoxville from Jackass says that pepper spray has been one of the most painful things he has ever experienced- that's saying something!

Canine, I think so. When I was stationed at Ft Riley my company commander was a West Pointer hard charger, every time we had NBC training we went to the gas chamber usually annually. Yes you are correct it was horrible each and every time.

Van-Tramp said:
You wrote: "Any reason you would not carry the most effective tool for the job of self defense?"

Yes, I am neither  US resident nor a US citizen. I am a foreigner who looks forward to visiting your great country.

Wacking someone with my crowbar, or punch stabbing them repeatedly with my pointy hard plastic key chain is also a felony if I just walk up to them and wack them. Turning my protective dog loose on them is, too, and I risk his life. However, in a case of self defense I'd rather not use my firearm which will definitely cause me more problems than a tiny woman bashing in the skull of an intruder, or giving them a face full of (whatever) spray.

I worked in pest control, and saw a lot of wasp spray at the bedside of older women. I asked them why. Most of them told me their kids took their gun away. Depending on the carrier and the active ingredient, wasp spray burns like fire and is really easy to point and shoot, and is cheap enough to target practice with. Yes, it was drilled into me with all chemicals we used "The Label is the Law," and I agree, we had some seriously dangerous stuff in out trucks - used out of context. And, as a small woman, my boss told me if I was threatened to go ahead and spray the attacker with whatever I had on me - self defense is reasonable cause.

That said, my mission with a violent intruder is incapacitation, and I don't trust wasp spray to be effective enough to knock someone down and make them stay there. Maybe in the city in a condo where I can run screaming while the intruder cusses and says ouch a lot. But out alone? Nope. Not even bear spray.

ChezCheese:-) said:
What is the difference between bear spray and pepper spray -- or are they the same thing?

Bear spray is 2% active ingredient and comes out of the bottle as a fog. Not very useful on humans.

Pepper stray is 10% active ingredient and comes out of the bottle as a single stream. It is heavily regulated in the USA and varies in each state, county, and city.

There are actually two issues here:

I agree with others that when attacked you use whatever weapon you can get your hands on to defend yourself.

It's the after the attack that gets sticky.  If nobody was physically hurt you should file a police report.  BUT if you, the assailant, or both were hurt you must file a police report, the sooner the better.  One of the questions asked (usually by a defense attorney) is why the weapon you used was handy.  Having bear spray handy will not raise any eyebrows in Cody, WY but it probably will in downtown Quartzite or any other area not close to bear habitat, so you need to have a good answer ready when deposed.  Trying to think up an answer that will pass legal muster when under oath isn't smart.

As to wasp spray: everything I have read on it says that the over the counter stuff will not incapacitate an attacker (human or animal).  It may do long term damage but will not immediately stop a determined attack.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I agree with others that when attacked you use whatever weapon you can get your hands on to defend yourself.
I'm wondering why "zappers" haven't been mentioned.   I'd much prefer to zap an intruder, (which will give me time to call 911 and/or get gone) than shoot them.

The pictured <a href="https://www.beststungun.com/product/stun-flashlight/zaplight-flashlight-stun-gun">ZAPPER FLASHLIGHT</a> seems rather expensive.  I forget what I paid for mine, a dedicated unit, which has a wrist strap.

Attachments

• zaplight-stun-gun.jpg
    zaplight-stun-gun.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 2
max+sophia said:
I'm wondering why "zappers" haven't been mentioned . . .

I wouldn't want to rely on a weapon that allows someone with a knife or crowbar to get close for my weapon to be used.
May or may not work on someone hopped up on drugs.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I wouldn't want to rely on a weapon that allows someone with a knife or crowbar to get close for my weapon to be used.
I agree Spiff, but if you aren't licensed to carry, having a zapper attached to your wrist as you  shop etc, is the next best thing. Actually, walking to your car at night would be less dangerous if that zaplight flashlight was in your hand

I keep hearing promising talk that a nationwide reciprosity law may soon be offered. <a href="https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html">Reciprosity Maps</a>

I had to use my OC spray on a male pitbull that was bothering my little dog just yesterday.

It worked. I don't think he will be back.

Now, since that stuff is labeled as self defense for human attackers, I hope the pitbull doesn't decide to sue me.

:dodgy:

tx2sturgis said:
I had to use my OC spray on a male pitbull that was bothering my little dog just yesterday.
If I was going to have a "little" dog, it would be a Chihuahua. Those little SOBs are really mean. The ones in the neighborhood here will jump up 3' and attach their fangs to your private parts. Similarly, for a big dog I would have a German Shepherd. Everyone is afraid of them, and they are not outlawed like pit bulls are in many places. If you teach your Shepherd to twist its head slightly when looking at people, they will quickly slink off with their own tails between their legs.

Once my girl friend and I came home, and some guy was visiting the roommate and sitting on the couch. My girlfriend's Shepherd saw the guy on the couch, and being the big pussy cat that she really was, slunk backwards just as the screen door closed down on her tail. Poor Shepherd let out a frightful howl, and the guy on the couch thought he was dead. I never like him anyways.

Once the zapping stops, the guy can get back up. Not saying he would, but he would be physically able to continue unlike with pepper spray or a Chihuahua hanging from the wobbly bits. Zapping through a coat or a heavy shirt is hard. Tasers are a good option, but there are limitations to them. Tasers bite hard, but then it's over. I'll take a taser over pepper spray, a stick, or a knife any day. Or the aforementioned Chihuahua.

Personally for something "non-lethal", I would take the pepper spray over the other things: taser or Chihuahua. First off, if there are 2 guys, then you only get one shot with the taser, and you might might miss in any case. With the pepper spray, you can lay down a good screen, and repeat a second time if need be. Assuming you have the Magnum-size can.

In regards the Shepherd looking at someone with twisted head, that's a real story. My girlfriend's Shepherd had some trauma as a baby and had a permanent kink in its neck. The dog wouldn't hurt a flea, but everyone who saw it looking at them was instantly afraid. There were many comments to that effect. Eg,
http://geniusvets.s3.amazonaws.com/gv-dog-breeds/german-shepherd-dog-1.jpg

DannyB1954 said:
Many place limit pepper spray to  2 oz. I think bear spray is more.

Don't want anyone with an assault pepper spray can. Stream only. No foggers. Those places are stuck with New York Reloads.

The best answer to self defence no matter what is, know the laws and train in the use of whatever you use. A monkey Knot at the end of a 12 inch para cord will dot their eyes and cross their teeth. So will a 1 liter pop bottle willed with water.

My Granny always had a small pistol when she traveled and hair spray was talked about when she kept it by her bed at night..... But one night as she left work, she worked nights as a nurse, she had her window down just a bit and a "bad Guy " reached in to snag her purse at a light. She pushed up her electric window and caught his arm then drove him to a cop.... don't know if this is a true story but sounds like what she would do... calmly drive just fast enough to keep him cussin' up a storm and not be able to do much else.. This was back in the days when electric windows were rare.....
Personally I'm leaning to pepper spray...