Patriot gas free generator & solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
Thoughts on this? The price is obviously outrageous but is there a similar system that's easy to set up like this one but less expensive? 

Any systems like the one you refer to are going to be expensive. Maybe there is something more reasonably priced out there, but I have yet to hear of it.

Can't view it unless you're on Facebook which I'm not so I went directly to 4Patriots website...sigh!

There is no product information available that I can find. When I clicked on 'learn more' which theoretically should take you to product information it went instead to some, shall we say, scare mongering that was unbelievable.

If you can find the actual technical specs on it anywhere, I'm sure some of us would be happy to critique it for you and or find you comparable equipment.

UAlmost There said:
There is no product information available that I can find. When I clicked on 'learn more' which theoretically should take you to product information it went instead to some, shall we say, scare mongering that was unbelievable .

Yep, I scrolled (and scrolled and scrolled) through the scare mongering to get to the price. I didn't see any in depth technical data but I'll give it a closer look.

Is 22ah going to be enough power for you? That's really not much juice.

It is lithium rated for 1000 charge discharge/charge cycles with an 80% loss after 500 cycles. Horrible specs. I don't remember ever seeing any new lithium battery with such a short life. In about a year, it will have a maximum of 8 amps of available power. That is a pittance. You can get similar performance and longer life from a car battery for hundreds less. Not only should this product be avoided, everyone should run from it. As far as something comparable, almost anything would provide better performance. If you find another product like this and you can't immediately find the specs and prices for it, don't waste your time as it will be overpriced junk trying to take advantage of neophytes who want an easy way to get solar power.

From Renogy for about $650 you can get 100 watts of suitcase solar, a charge controller, a 100 a/h AGM battery which has twice the power and longer life, and a 500 watt inverter. It's easy to set up as well.

Figured it was a lot of hype. Thanks for the confirmation.

I know someone who has a similar unit, can't remember the brand. It was raved about until it crapped out then when the company was contacted for repairs the shipping was so expensive it wasn't worth fixing.
IMO it's a fancy looking battery/charge controller/inverter in a box that's way overpriced. Stick with quality conventional solar panels and golf cart batteries and you will be much happier and have money in your pocket.

Yes. More money in your pocket, and, more power for your stuff.

Those units are getting cheaper. Suaoki is driving the value market, I believe now under a buck a watt hour. For smaller systems and considering what is included I think they are a reasonable alternative. One new vendor, to me, is imuto. They have a 185 watt hour product without an inverter for 120.

I’d still like to see replaceable battery packs.

Anyone up for testing the included charge controllers?

DLTooley, but you would have to replace it every 18 months at least, probably every year if you used it close to it's rated capacity, which would be extremely easy to do. That isn't a good deal.