Pasta Junkies Step Up

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XERTYX

Reaction score
Do you love ramen noodles? Lasagna? Mac and cheese? Pasta is certainly cheap. Stores a long time and shelf stable.

How do you quickly and efficiently get your fix of carbs and high sodium?

I found an easy and very unhealthy way of making generic boxed macaroni and cheese into a very tasty dish that should stick to your ribs so to speak.

You know the kind. It's the cheapest mac and cheese box the store carries. Usually 33 to 60 cents depending on sales. Powdered cheese and cheap thin straight macaroni noodles.

The box says you need something like 6 or 8 quarts of water, milk, and butter or margarine. 

I dont want to use so much fuel to boil all that water that will be wasted so I use a smaller pot and after the water gets gluey I drain most of it and put in more fresh water and continue boiling until done or gluey again. I might use just as much water this way but I find it faster and more efficient than trying to keep 2 gallons of water at 212°F.

Ingredients
1 box generic mac and cheese
Soy sauce
Sriracha hot sauce
Olive oil
Butter
Milk
A pinch of shredded cheese

I take the small pot of water and add soy sauce to it until its colored a little, a dash of sriracha, and a splash of oil then boil. Add the macaroni and boil until it wont absorb any more water then drain and add more fresh water. When done drain and set aside in a rubbermaid type plastic container with a lid. In the same pot add more butter than the box calls for and slowly melt taking care not to "break" the butter remove from heat if necessary and swirl to prevent boiling. Once melted stir in milk. I use less milk than the box calls for as I use more butter. Heat the mixture slowly until the milk scales and remove from heat. Continue heating the mixture until piping hot but dont allow to boil. Only scalding the milk. Once hot add the powdered cheese and stir briskly both on and off the heat until all the cheese has dissolved. Then slowly heat the cheese sauce until it begins to bubble but remove from heat and stir before the bubbles break. Dont let it burn. When piping hot take a pinch of shredded cheese and stir into the mixture until smooth. Reheating if necessary. Add the cheese sauce to the noodles and enjoy. 

Cheap, quickish, delicious, and full of tasty cholesterol. Enjoy

Ramen is great with mixed veggies and Spam added. :)

WanderingRose said:
That sounds very labor-intensive, xertyx.  :)

Perhaps. Food should be enjoyed. I have nothing but time. ;)

It it speedy cleanup. One saucepan. One plastic spoon that can be used for eating the food. (I know I know poly vinyl chloride, BPA, etc I never got brain tumors from sodium saccharin either) one disposable but reusable cheap plastic container. Worth it for me.

Less fuel. Potentially less water (havent measured). Tasty junk food and a small amount of cleanup. Thants my takeaway.

I like ramen once you boost it up from those noodles a bit. A few favorite tips:

1. Beat an egg or two very well, then when your ramen is done and piping hot, stir the beaten egg(s) in quickly and thoroughly. The aim is not to get a chunk of scrambled eggs, but to make a richer, thicker broth. So stir in quickly and keep stirring until the beaten egg is evenly distributed. The heat will cook it safely through. Great way to add a lot of protein very cheaply. Alternative: beat the eggs and put them in the dish you will eat out of, then dump the cooked ramen on top, and stir rapidly.

2. Start with frozen mixed vegetables plus enough water to cook your ramen in. By the time the water is boiling, the veggies will be thawed. Then dump in your noodles the usual way. Again, so much more nutrition. And frozen mixed veggies are very cheap. I am a big eater and use anywhere from a quarter to half a pound of veggies, and two packs of ramen per meal. Even still, a good big healthy meal can cost me less than a dollar. Look for the mixed veggies with some kind of bean in them, for protein.

3. Add in some of your favorite oil or other flavorings or toppings once the ramen is cooked. Sesame is my favorite oil, so I will put in a teaspoon or more; some find it so strongly flavored that they only like a few drops. Some chopped green onions are a beautiful and tasty topping. In Japan, they like to add slices of meat and a barely barely hard-boiled egg cut in half.

Also. I recently made 3 batches over the course of a week.

I keep butter. Not margarine. Butter. It cost me $3.99 for a pound. I sometimes use a half stick of butter.

The milk I bought only for the pasta. 99 cents for a half gallon.  I didnt use much of it and let the rest go to waste as I didnt make any coffee that week. 

The cheese shreds were left from the previous weeks tacos. So free.

Soy sauce and sriracha are optional but I keep them as well.

Just today I bought a box of store brand mac and cheese to replenish my stock. 79 cents. Not as cheap as others.

Water and fuel usage will vary but that's just the cost of doing business. 

Butter (1/8 of a pound MAX) 0.49875 
Milk .33 (could have made more but I let the rest spoil)
Macaroni .79

$1.62 total cost. Not bad IMO

Dingfelder do you make ramen as a soup or like I do? I make them like Lo Mein noodles. I drain them and use as a pasta not a soup.

I make ramen as a soup. Just enough liquid that I'm not pouring any out after cooking, rather than in the typical way people use huge pots of boiling water for pasta.

I've made them lo mein style for stir fries before too. I mess that up sometimes though. Firmness is so important and I tend to go by habit and boil them soft enough for soup instead of firm enough for the continued cooking I'd do in stir fries.

I have had very limited success in stir frying ramen satisfactorily. I love stir fried ramen with sriracha or sambal. I have yet to try an egg drop soup style ramen dish I read about on these forums as of yet. Although I wait with baited breath. Could be amazing. I dont dislike egg drop soup. Just that I prefer hot and sour soup. My next major purchase is planned to be a 3 quart vacuum crock to experiment with thermos style cooking. I look forward to making broths again with little fuel usage.

Ok. There is enough of a response for me to continue sharing techniques. The best way I've found to make dry ramen is to use a wok $5 ish at Wally world full of water. Enough water that you can make 2 packs of maruchan or top ramen type (commonly available ramen) without either being close to one another. 

Dont let the ramen get crunched up. Pristine noodles are the goal. Let the floating cooking noodles remain in a mass in each lump. 

Turn each heap over as the bottom begins to rehydrate  for even cooking. 

When cooked drain everything and add seasoning mixture and stir.

No step for the seasoning mixture? Is that what you thought? Maybe I'm making sure you're paying attention. Truth is you'll never know. Maybe I forgot. 

For seasoning you can either take a few spoons of boiling water and put in a tiny bowl with the seasoning powder and stir til dissolved. 

In some ramen seasonings you'll notice its beef broth powder (or chicken etc) and normal sized grains of (presumably) table salt all mixed well.

Maybe you're sensitive to sodium. Either thru high blood pressure or some other thing or you like me dont sweat the small stuff but keep the big picture in mind at all times. 

In this case put the powder in a tiny container and add ice cooled water or any cold water to it and mix to dissolve the bullion. Once dissolved pour it off leaving the mostly undissolved salt crystals inside.

In either event stir the seasoning mix into the hot drained noodles and place in the warm wok off of the heat. Cover with a lid or porcelain plate in order to "steam dry" the noodles. A trick I picked up in a 50s era Chinese cookbook I found at a garage sale.

I've never tried that, but it does sound like a cool idea.

I really like bean thread noodles the best, and rice noodles a lot. With rice noodles, you can soak them in cold water for a very few minutes, if I remember correctly. I like that idea much better than having to boil up a lot of water to get some noodles ready.

I havent used rice noodles. You mean like Mei Fun (I think) noodles. The ones I'm thinking of immediately plump into crunchy fried noodles if put dry into hot oil. Like they use to garnish Mongolian beef in a Chinese restaurant.

I love noodles. For real. I dont care who invented pasta. Marco Polo, ancient China, or Benjamin Franklin. All I know is das ist gut ja.

Stirring beaten eggs into ramen is a great way to make a very inexpensive but still protein packed meal.

Could add some fresh spinach to it, and would have a balanced meal in a bowl.

Kids usually love this, it fills their tummies up and helps them sleep well. :)

I'll have to try it. I also have been thinking of dehydrating spinach so that could be even more flavor.

Ramen is really flexible. You can throw almost anything in and it works just fine. That's one of the things I like so much about it.

Anyone have Netflix? There's an incredibly well done documentary series -- really superlative -- called Chef's Table. Volume 3, the 4th episode, is called and is about Ivan Orkin, a guy who brought not just his enthusiasm and ignorance and confusion to Japan as a young man, but also his Brooklyn Jewish roots, resulting in some unique and very popular innovations to ramen culture. The whole series is outstanding, and I highly recommend this episode for anyone who is even remotely well-disposed toward ramen or just Japanese food in general.

I love pasta...so I cook with it a lot. any kind, shape, it's all good. as I live in my van, I keep a variety on hand at all times...
most of my cooking is done using a small electric rice cooker. I buy the packages of seasoned/sauces dry pasta and rice sides and add
whatever else I might have on hand...when I cook them I don't use the full amount of liquid called for in the directions, most times I leave out the milk as I don't use it enough to justify the cost and cooler space...I could use powdered but I don't like the taste no matter how I doctor it...
anyway, I'll use the side dish and add things liked diced rotisserie chicken, or canned, chop up some fresh veggies and throw them in and I have a one pot meal...I also keep a supply of dehydrated veggies and some meats as well, (EMERGENCY ESSENTIALS is the company I buy from for those items)
I don't use Ramen noodles as much as the regular pasta or the flavored sides, and I haven't bought mac & cheese in ages...
Now that the weather is getting warmer I will start cooking more outdoors on the grill or campfire/fire pit, so won't eat as many soup/one pot items, more salads and veggies. just my two-cents worth of ideas...

Dingfelder said:
I like ramen once you boost it up from those noodles a bit.  A few favorite tips:

1.  Beat an egg or two very well, then when your ramen is done and piping hot, stir the beaten egg(s) in quickly and thoroughly.  The aim is not to get a chunk of scrambled eggs, but to make a richer, thicker broth.  So stir in quickly and keep stirring until the beaten egg is evenly distributed.  The heat will cook it safely through.  Great way to add a lot of protein very cheaply.  Alternative:  beat the eggs and put them in the dish you will eat out of, then dump the cooked ramen on top, and stir rapidly.

2.  Start with frozen mixed vegetables plus enough water to cook your ramen in.  By the time the water is boiling, the veggies will be thawed.  Then dump in your noodles the usual way.  Again, so much more nutrition.  And frozen mixed veggies are very cheap.  I am a big eater and use anywhere from a quarter to half a pound of veggies, and two packs of ramen per meal.  Even still, a good big healthy meal can cost me less than a dollar. Look for the mixed veggies with some kind of bean in them, for protein.

3.  Add in some of your favorite oil or other flavorings or toppings once the ramen is cooked.  Sesame is my favorite oil, so I will put in a teaspoon or more; some find it so strongly flavored that they only like a few drops. Some chopped green onions are a beautiful and tasty topping.  In Japan, they like to add slices of meat and a barely barely hard-boiled egg cut in half.
Yum!
Japanese Ramen

bonnieE350van said:
I love pasta...so I cook with it a lot.  any kind, shape, it's all good. as I live in my van, I keep a variety on hand at all times...
most of my cooking is done using a small electric rice cooker.

What kind of wattage do you have on your rice cooker? I have thought of adding an electric heating source but I know how inefficient electricity is at generating heat so I figured a rice cooker was out off the bat.

Like as a point of reference how many watts is your rice cooker and how long would it take to make a one pot meal if you dont mind my asking?

Ok so I got curious. I googled rice cookers as well as time taken to make rice. This was my conclusion.
Typical wattage: 200
15 mins to make rice
200 watts for 15 mins I used this formula to calculate watts used. (Note it may not be running at peak for the whole cycle) 200/4=50 50 watts of usage. To find amps we will divide 120V AC by 12 Volts DC 50/12=4.16 4.16 Amp Hours of usage from the battery.tel:1666666667

But I like to over engineer things so I use this formula 50 watts divided by 10 (this allows more room for inverter inefficiency and loss. Also just move the decimal point over once. Easier to do in your head.)
50/10=5. 5 Amp hours. From a decent sized bank I dont foresee as being excessive by any manner of thinking. I guess rice cookers are back in.

Well ain't life just plain mysterious?! I had a chance to buy a black friday type deal rice cooker stored new in the box since last year for $7 Its a rice cooker/food steamer listed wattage is 300 watts. I guess I need to buy a killawatt meter. At least I can provide feedback on cooking times. Stay tuned. :p