Pasta Junkies Step Up

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the one I used to have, which was red and did a fine job of cooking rice while steaming a vegetable at the same time.

I gave mine to my niece, using an Instant Pot now.

i do the boxed mac thing, but i splurge and get the organic ones with no funky stuff. can ussually find them for a buck. when i do i stock up

i have found i can cook the noodles like you do rice just a bit more than over the top of the dry noodles in the pot. bring to a boil and then simmer till cooked to your softness. i do have to stir a few times but wastes no water and save on fuel and doesnt steam up the inside of the rig as bad.

while i can do it with just water, what i do is start out with a couple chicken legs and boil them till the meat is ready to fall off the bone. pull them and will the "stock" is reducing i pull the meet from the bones and drop the bones back in the pot to simmer. in the winter i may start this right after breakfast and simmer till time for a late lunch. i keep an eye on the water level and adjust as needed then when time to eat i pull the bones strain the bits out and drop the noodles from the box in to cook in that chicken stock. as the noodles are getting close to done i drop a good chunk of butter into melt and mix in as they finish cooking. then in goes the "sauce" packet and then i add a bit of what ever other cheeses i have on hand, some fresh parm, aged sharp cheddar or even a brie. then i pull the saved chicken meat out of the fridge and flake it into the mac n cheese. maybe saute some fresh chanterelle mushrooms and a little salt n pepper to taste. Mac n cheese fit for a king

Seminole Wind said:
i do the boxed mac thing, but i splurge and get the organic ones with no funky stuff.

That sounds absolutely divine. I may make some mac and cheese in the rice cooker tonight if my milk hasn't spoiled. As I dont drink coffee regularly anymore I find I use almost no milk. My ideal solution would be single serve type shelf stable milk cartons. But they are expensive. I've tried using dollar store shelf stable milks before but i find i still waste some. I hate to waste food. It's a moral objection i have. How can I justify wasting food when there are so many in the populous starving? I try to live within my means but also not so excessive that I'm making a bad thing worse. Anyway I'll get off my soap box. That sounds fabulous.

XERTYX said:
That sounds absolutely divine. I may make some mac and cheese in the rice cooker tonight if my milk hasn't spoiled.

i agree on the milk waste issue. i have found with the box mac n cheese i can just use water and up the butter then with the extra cheese i just dont need the milk.

Evaporated milk, the generic kind if you can't find a reasonable price on Carnation, isn't very expensive and is very rich in terms of taste. I use it regularly in recipes which call for cream of different thicknesses. Haven't heard a complaint.

There's always powdered milk, too.

I only use evaporate milk to cook with. no refrigeration needed, makes everything richer, you can cut it with water to stretch it or make it not so rich, you can use it for coffee creamer. I always keep some in the pantry. highdesertranger

I know our boys used tinned milk overseas in the big war. I'm ashamed to say I've never used a can of it. I've bought it for folks making pies etc. I'll have to taste it and see the difference. My local grocer has generic 12oz condensed milk for 79 cents or national brand organic whole milk lunchbox pouches for $1 or $11ish for 12. I'll buy one of each and give em a try. It's a good excuse to make pasta and coffee.

condensed milk and evaporated milk are 2 different things. condensed milk has a boat load of sugar in it. evaporated milk is just milk with some of the water removed. they are not interchangeable in recipes. highdesertranger

I always keep nonfat dry milk in the cabinet for recipes that call just for “milk”.

I have used evaporated milk if I can use the whole can at one time.

I recall my mother keeping Milnot for coffee, and I think you can still buy that.

Anything shelf stable is a good thing.

I like the Nido brand dry whole milk powder for making pasta sauces.

highdesertranger said:
condensed milk and evaporated milk are 2 different things.  condensed milk has a boat load of sugar in it.  evaporated milk is just milk with some of the water removed.  they are not interchangeable in recipes.  highdesertranger
Yes sorry. I misspoke...misstyped...  whatever. Haha. I have used condensed milk to make cheesecakes before. I did mean evaporated milk. I have used condensed milk in coffee before but a teeny bit goes a long way due to all the sugar and I dont care for sweet coffee. Or even many sweets for that matter.