Passport for Algodones, Mexico?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virgil Jones

Reaction score
I'm coming (late) to the RTR.  I am considering going to Algodones for dental work with the caravan on Jan. 25.  Do I need a passport?

Snow Gypsy said:
Actually, we have been thinking about getting the "passcard" which would be good in Mexico & Canada thus less expensive.  Some info:  https://www.uspasscard.com/passport-card-fees.html

Legal Note: USpasscard.com is an information website not affiliated with the United States Government.

There is no link off that website for a application.

mayble said:
Only if you want to come back ;)

Correct. Mexico will gladly let you in. No Mexican authorities check as you walk into Los Algodones. But the US wants to see your passport, thanks to 9/11.

The passport card is less expensive, but you can't use it for travel by airplane.

I have drivers licenses that is supposed to allow me to fly, but since I am not planning on getting into an airplane I just have them. LOL
I may look into the "Passcard" as that is all I too would need, if I would ever go to Mexico.
I do want to come home, at some time and if the USA needs a Passcard, I will get one, don't want to upset the Gov. lol
Sharon

The one thing to keep in mind is, if you get the passport card instead of the passport, and some family emergency or something comes up while you're in Canada or Mexico, you won't be ABLE to fly home.  you'll have to drive back across the border.  With the regular passport, you'll have options.

This website does a good job of breaking down the requirements: https://www.usa.gov/passport I know we ran the applications and our post office actually does photos, which surprised me if one wants to use them. The link gives specifications for the photos to be used.

I'm still pondering the idea. I have never been out of the USA and I have known people from Mexico and know that it is supposed to be safe near the border. Inexpensive dental though? My adult son had two teeth pulled and was sedated. The cost was $1,000 and we had to pay $400.00 for the sedation upfront before insurance. Of course, we all wear eyeglasses too. Yeah, I should ponder the idea a little harder.

Snow Gypsy said:
This website does a good job of breaking down the requirements:  https://www.usa.gov/passport  I know we ran the applications and our post office actually does photos, which surprised me if one wants to use them.  The link gives specifications for the photos to be used.

I'm still pondering the idea.  I have never been out of the USA and I have known people from Mexico and know that it is supposed to be safe near the border.  Inexpensive dental though?  My adult son had two teeth pulled and was sedated.  The cost was $1,000 and we had to pay $400.00 for the sedation upfront before insurance.  Of course, we all wear eyeglasses too.  Yeah, I should ponder the idea a little harder.

Snow Gypsy, our local PO does the photos too, don't know about price but will ask when I call to make the appointment.
I would like to go to Mexico, just to say I was there, but.......... I do want to come home too, so I must have at least  the passcard, to get back to the US.  Oh well, what else would I have done with $55.00? I know, buy more beer. LOL
Sharon

Virgil Jones said:
I'm coming (late) to the RTR.  I am considering going to Algodones for dental work with the caravan on Jan. 25.  Do I need a passport?

In 2013 an "enhanced" Washington drivers licence was enough to get back into the USA. I needed all the same documents to get the enhanced licence as I needed to get a passport.
A passport is (IMO) a worthwhile investment, I got one that next summer, the post office was able to take the photo too.

#1BonBonQueen said:
Snow Gypsy, our local PO does the photos too, don't know about price but will ask when I call to make the appointment.

AAA members can get free photos at AAA offices.

For those, like myself, that want to apply for a passport once you get to Ehrenberg/Quartzsite, the post office in Blythe does the applications and can provide you with the required photo. You will have to call and schedule an appointment (currently about a week out) and they advise you to pre-fill the application before arriving for the appointment. Since I can't print the application out from the website,  I just stopped by and picked one up. If you have any question about the documents you'll be providing for identification this would be a great time to ask them to review them (don't wait till your appointment if your unsure ). My birth certificate is a wallet size which raised some concern over the phone. They reviewed it and somehow verified it's authenticity. 

Hope someone finds this helpful.

FinallyFree said:
For those, like myself, that want to apply for a passport once you get to Ehrenberg/Quartzsite, the post office in Blythe does the applications and can provide you with the required photo. You will have to call and schedule an appointment (currently about a week out) and they advise you to pre-fill the application before arriving for the appointment. Since I can't print the application out from the website,  I just stopped by and picked one up. If you have any question about the documents you'll be providing for identification this would be a great time to ask them to review them (don't wait till your appointment if your unsure ). My birth certificate is a wallet size which raised some concern over the phone. They reviewed it and somehow verified it's authenticity. 

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Thank you FinallyFree!!!
I just assumed you had to go to your local PO, and now I know I can go anywhere as long as I have all the documents.
Wonder if they give it to you right there, or if there is a waiting period?
Sharon

I have their earliest appointment for Dec. 14 at the Asheville, NC Post Office.  I am paying the 3 week expedited fee plus photo,etc. for $257.  They said normally 6 weeks or more after the appointment for the passport.

@BonBon - You won't walk out with a passport. They do a pretty rigorous background ck of all applicants,  especially post 9/11. As Virgil stated you can speed up the process for a hefty fee. However, I think expediting may not be an option when applying from another state, something I remember reading, not sure. But I'll let you know the evening of 12/13.

David

#1BonBonQueen said:
Thank you FinallyFree!!!
I just assumed you had to go to your local PO, and now I know I can go anywhere as long as I have all the documents.
Wonder if they give it to you right there, or if there is a waiting period?
Sharon

Passports are issued by the State Department.  The Post Office merely forwards the forms to them.

Latest posts