Is Algodones safe this year (2024)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in Quartzsite , and planning to visit Algodones for meds and dental. Have the border issues affected safety in Algodones? How about the Pilot Knob LTVA Area? Most of thee news I have seen lately centers around the Tucson area.

I am in Quartzsite , and planning to visit Algodones for meds and dental. Have the border issues affected safety in Algodones?
I have never heard of that area being one of the big border-crossing areas for those trying to claim asylum. And I also don't think asylum seekers are somehow known for being especially dangerous or having violent criminal tendencies. I suspect you'd be a safe as you would've any, other recent year.

Anyone here in the Yuma, AZ or Andrade, CA areas, or the Quechan Reservation, who can comment ?

I can't comment from direct knowledge, just generally that the situation on the border changes frequently (including where asylum seekers cross), the migrant numbers are way up right now, and the cartels are more involved in migration than they used to be (that means more danger for the migrants, but I don't know if it means more danger for peeps like us -- tourists often get a pass, at least on violent crime, because nobody wants to kill the goose that lays the golden money eggs).

I know for awhile recently the border crossing at Lukeville (a good ways to the east of you) was closed because the Border Patrol was so overwhelmed, but it has opened again. I think something similar happened at Eagle Pass (farther east), and maybe IIRC even one bridge at El Paso?, too. I'm just mentioning that because the fickle finger of fate could point to Algodones next. (And remember there was that kidnap/murder in Matamoros, all the way east, a few months ago, in an area that was generally considered safe. I mean, crime is everywhere so maybe that could have happened in the States too. But it's good to get up-to-date info.)

I haven't cited any sources so feel free to take this with a major grain of NaCl, it's just what I remember reading recently. I too would really like to know from people who are actually there in the Yuma area.

Agree 100% with dhuff that the migrants themselves are mostly noncriminal and nonviolent. It's the creeps that prey on them that can be a problem.

No reports or rumors of people getting accosted in Algodones this year 2023- 2024 season among the nomads I know who have crossed over for meds, liquor, fish tacos, glasses, dental etc. I am certainly not concerned about going across the border later this winter on my own as an older female. The physical area where a person goes to the drug stores, dentist, optometrist and cantinas is geographically not very large, not even 5 blocks long in each direction east and west of the main street or 10 blocks deep from the border crossing.

The parking lot on the USA side is very well patrolled and overlooked by the border patrol sitting on the hillside above it watching that border wall area, the parking lot and road every minute using binoculars.

Last edited:
I am in Quartzsite , and planning to visit Algodones for meds and dental. Have the border issues affected safety in Algodones? How about the Pilot Knob LTVA Area? Most of thee news I have seen lately centers around the Tucson area.
Outside of Arizona the major crossings issues are in Texas.

The only non-US citizens that I have ever observed waiting in the line in Los Aldodones to cross to the USA, were Canadians. A Canadian driver license doesn't work to cross back.

The only Mexicans, in that border crossing area on the Mexican side, were locals selling refreshments to those waiting in line to return North. Last chance to get some USD from the gringos.

Los Algodones is safe, as the local economy depends on Americans in need of cheap meds, eyeglasses, and dental care. We are their cash cows, just as we are to the American sickcare industry.

In a lengthy dental procedure I get TMJ, and no American in a dental office has ever offered to massage my jaw muscles. In Los Algodones I have had that happen twice, first was a dental assistant, the last time it was the crew chief of a mobile root canal team that did me the honor. The team was very good at what they do. Easiest root canal ever.

As to dispersed camping and illegals, that has only happened to me outside of Ajo. Eight young military aged males in military clothing stopped and asked if I had food to spare. I politely said "No", and they left peacefully. I thought about whether or not to report the incident via 911, then very quickly the Border Patrol and the Sheriff's Office responded to the area and were searching for a couple of hours in the dark. Enough excitement for me. I relocated south to Gunsite Wash south of the CBP facility near Why. No issues while there.

Last edited:
I had to do my own acupressure on my jaw muscle during a lengthy procedure thatI did not expect to become lengthy. I had another lengthy appointment the next day but I was better prepared by taking Tylenol and a mild muscle relaxer a hour before the appointment.

Acupressure is a big help if you apply it to the tender spot on the jaw muscle. A pulsing pressure is often more effective than a steady push.