Passport for Algodones, Mexico?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was workcamping in Iowa when I got mine. Besides proving who I am I had to have an address to mail the passport to, I had it sent to my address at the RV park. No problem.

Since I plan on traveling to Mexico eventually since I have never been there, I went on and got my passport. I made my appointment on January 19th at our main post office here in Sioux Falls. It was a simple and straightforward process for me---the person I spoke to told me what I needed and gave me the application I needed when I made the appointment. On the day of the appointment, I had all the required documentation, plus the person took my picture since they do that there at the main post office which was convenient for me. I had never had a passport before so I paid $151.20 (includes tax) for my passport. I decided to simply go on and get the passport book instead of just the passport card. It just made more sense to me since I am planning on going to Ireland as part of a tour next year. I chose the regular service which I was told would be anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks. Surprisingly enough, I received my passport on February 8th via priority mail. :D  I also had to give them my certified copy of my birth certificate (the post office simply gathers all the documents and takes your payment, then sends everything to the State Department) but I received it back in the same priority mail package my passport was in. All in all, it was an easy process for me.

VanGrrl57 :)

Note: I have personally been across and back twice in the last 3 weeks.  I HAVE a passport , but it is in a storage unit in Colorado.  I DO however, have a Colorado driver's license that is/has (?) a RealID (or is COMPLIANT) with the requirements. 

So, to clarify, I came back and across with merely my Colorado Driver's License.  IF I was going to travel in Mexico, I would probably want to have my passport physically in my possession.   But just saying you must have your passport with you is not strictly correct.

Pat

If you don't have a VALID passPORT, get or renew it ASAP; even if you THINK you won't need it (example: you have a family emergency in another country, and you need to get the next flight out. NO valid passport = NO travel to foriegn countries by air).

To the OP, Don't try to save a few bucks by only getting the passcard (passport card), if possible get BOTH the passPORT (passport book) and the passCARD (passport card for LAND and SEA crossings ONLY between a few countries tightly allied with the USA); and make sure it's VALID (not expired, not voided etc.). A passport book also serves as another form of widely accepted ID incase you misplace or lose your state ID.

Infact after I submit this post I'm checking both my passport book and card for expiry dates, and maintaining them accordingly. I don't like the "papers please" system, I just have to follow it if I want to enter other countries legally & hassle free.

TLDR, Get or renew your PassPORT book ASAP, it's insurance for when you need to fly to foreign countries on very short notice.