Passport America - Yeh or Nah?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosiemartinez1211

Reaction score
Does everyone here mainly stay on free land?

I understand that most full-timers need to be cost conscious but just wondered if anyone recommended Passport America.
Or any other group plan? I'm thinking ahead to when I start moving around as weather permits.

Thanks

I do Good Sam and Escapees, but largely because of other benefits, because I no longer stay in parks. The Passport America works for some, but many find it too restrictive. There are many blackout dates, but some people who don't mind spending hours on the phone finding a park that has the dates they need, love it. Personally I prefer to go places that are free or almost free ($10 or less), now that my solar system provides everything I need except for water and a dump station. As you can probably tell by now, it all boils down to personal preference and budget.

The Dire Wolfess

If you are going to be staying ijn campgrounds that honor it, I think it is worth it. IIRC the dollars off are for one night only though. I had it the first year and then dropped it. One of my friends talked me into it and now he has made the transition to mostly boondocking. I rarely go to campgrounds anymore and when I do it's for taking care of all the business, dump, fill, laundry, a long shower and maybe some company. If I don't have to pay to camp, I don't.

YMMV

Moxadox said:
The Passport America works for some, but many find it too restrictive.  There are many blackout dates, but some people who don't mind spending hours on the phone finding a park that has the dates they need, love it.  

The Dire Wolfess

Yeah, don't wanna spend hours on the phone.
I think I've checked Good Sam before but it's expensive I think. Or was that Escapees?
Well, I'll check into them again.
Thanks for your feedback.

B and C said:
I rarely go to campgrounds anymore and when I do it's for taking care of all the business, dump, fill, laundry, a long shower and maybe some company.  If I don't have to pay to camp, I don't.

YMMV

Yes, my thought is every couple of weeks I'll need a campground for laundry, shower and maybe tv/wifi.

Thanks!

A day use national parks pass for facilities and nearby BLM land for sleeping is a tremendous deal in and around the Lake Powell area. I imagine that could work well in other areas as well if fulltiming in an RV.

I can't remember the last time I stayed in a campground. so for someone like me I would say no. it really depends on what you are going to do. highdesertranger

I’ve had Passport America for 10 years or so, and find it a great deal for extended travel.  

Many of these campgrounds restrict to certain days of the week, not during special events, etc., and one or two nights, but they are often much cheaper than a state or city park.

Water, electric, bathhouse, dump station for $12-$20 on average is pretty inexpensive.  Some state parks allow PA rates on weekdays, just depends on the state.

I like to intersperse boondocking with a night in a campground, empty and refill tanks, have a good scrub, maybe do some laundry and off I go.

They have a good app, you can look for their campgrounds on their map the direction you are going, call ahead in the morning for a site later in the day and you’re set.  

Just like with any private campground.  I’ve never spent hours on the phone and usually one call is all that is needed.

They are a great way to keep expenses down, in my experience.

bullfrog said:
A day use national parks pass for facilities and nearby BLM land for sleeping is a tremendous deal in and around the Lake Powell area.  I imagine that could work well in other areas as well if fulltiming in an RV.

Hadn't thought of that. I think day use is typically $2 or so with Passport America.

Good advice, thanks!

Moxadox said:
I do Good Sam and Escapees, but largely because of other benefits, because I no longer stay in parks.  

The Dire Wolfess

Checked prices for these two and they are very affordable.
Thanks

highdesertranger said:
I can't remember the last time I stayed in a campground.  so for someone like me I would say no.  it really depends on what you are going to do.  highdesertranger

I think I picked that up by your Handle.  :D

I'd rather put a little money into passes that give you either free or seriously discounted camping like WA state Rec Pass - $35.00 for the year and lots of free campsites. National Park passes are great too. I understand NM has a great annual pass as well.

I haven't seen a private park that I would want to stay in, not even for a night. Seriously small camp sites, laundries are usually more expensive than town laundromats because they have a captive audience and a small market. Mostly it's the small campsites that turn me off. When you can barely get between your camper and the next and can hear your  neighbor snore, it's way too close. At least with state/county parks most of them have vegetation barriers between the campsites and you're far enough away that while you can hear your neighbors if you both are outside, once inside it's fairly peaceful.

Other than this past summer when I was working the last time I paid for a campsite was on my way north last spring - $15.00 with water and electric, showers and dump station (not needed for me anyways).

I'd take the annual fee, divide it by the number of nights you really think you're going to use it, add in the reduced campsite rate and really do some thinking as to whether limiting yourself to campgrounds where you can use the membership is really worth it.

WanderingRose said:
I’ve had Passport America for 10 years or so, and find it a great deal for extended travel.  

They have a good app, you can look for their campgrounds on their map the direction you are going, call ahead in the morning for a site later in the day and you’re set.  

They are a great way to keep expenses down, in my experience.

10 yrs is encouraging. I've been checking the campgrounds that accept PA but there doesn't seem to be a lot in West Texas which will be my route from San Antonio heading to AZ and the RTRs

Thank you for your feedback.

What we didn’t like about Good Sam was that it gives you only a 10% discount on already high end campgrounds, as in $30-$40 or higher. PA is 40%-50% off the regular rate.

There was also an ongoing deluge of solicitations.

I don’t limit myself to PA campgrounds, and definitely prefer public campgrounds for longer stays, but use them as an option.

It depends on what you want and need.

I think PA is a good deal when traveling east of the Mississippi River, where free campsites are hard to find.

And just because PA-affiliated campgrounds have blackout dates, such as weekends, it doesn't necessarily mean you can't call them up and ask if they will accept the PA rate. When business is slow, some of the campgrounds will let you stay at the discounted PA rate. It doesn't hurt to ask, and the worst they can do is say "no." So it pays to make several inquiries when deciding where to stay for the night.

Yes I'm trying to decide what my needs will be. Thanks

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

rosiemartinez1211 said:
Yes I'm trying to decide what my needs will be. Thanks.

And, you may not really know until you have been out there awhile, finding your own path and what works best for you.

We don’t have all the BLM land east of the Mississippi, ‘’tis true, but there is still a fair amount of free camping to be had this direction.

It looks different, and is generally night by night rather than 14 day stays, more stealth than longer term.

I have passport America and my home base is expensive. With that I paid $55 a week with electric. Most definitely worth it on east cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk