partitions and bulkheads

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobilesport

Reaction score
How well does a factory steel partition block light around the edges?

Not sure on the chevy, but on my '98 Ford I used to have it had large gaps. The edges were just angled where the van was curved if that makes sense. If it already has it, it would make a great frame to start with however. Then you could insulate it and panel one or both sides and run the paneling tight.

Steel partitions are aftermarket, I am pretty sure...We have some in our delivery vans at work. Like said above, the dont fit right up to the walls very well and are full of about 1" round holes. You could probablt seal the gaps and holes pretty easily.

poncho62 said:
Steel partitions are aftermarket, I am pretty sure...We have some in our delivery vans at work. Like said above, the dont fit right up to the walls very well and are full of about 1" round holes. You could probablt seal the gaps and holes pretty easily.

Yea , I'm aware of the holes and I can cover them easily , i'm curious about the edges though, I still think it would be good to build off of because it would be secure if somebody broke in.

Since they are aftermarket, they will all be different, no one answer. In my G3500, they don't fit tightly anywhere. The Express van is very curved, getting a tight fit would be difficult.
Bob

Security? If someone broke into your cab with the intention of accessing the back, I'd guess they are determined and equipped enough that a normal steel bulkhead won't stop them. Of course, you could reinforce it. Also, I would think that back or side doors are no harder to break into than cab doors.

The primary drawback of steel is weight. Generous guess is that you'll save about 50 pounds building a wood bulkhead. I doubt you'll ever notice that weight in a cargo van. The other drawback is thermal conductivity, but you've already got a floor, roof, and walls to deal with, so what's one more wall?

So my vote would be to leave an existing steel one in place unless its dimensions don't suit you.

A lot of vandwellers do not have a partition between the front and the living area, and then they turn the passenger seat around, to face the living area. That's definitely one solution.

My van has a steel partition, it came with it, and I like having it, definitely makes me *feel* safer, but like BlackNBlue says I'm probably not actually much safer in reality, just don't tell my brain that :) haha

As for steel or wood, if it doesn't already have one, and you can't find a cheap one at the junkyard or something and wanted one, then I'd build one.

Can you add a steel partition bulkhead If the wood floor is already installed?