Paralyzed by fear!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttpadilla

Reaction score
I am so afraid of making the wrong decision that I'm making myself crazy. Although ideally, I would love a big truck and trailer combo, I really don't think I need anything too big for just me and Bella, and I'd kind of like somewhat decent mileage on my towing vehicle for when I take off to visit kids and grandkids. I also worry about the feasibility of towing a trailer into dispersed camping areas. I keep vacillating between hoping to find an affordable Class B, trading in my car to avoid towing it, and having no backup vehicle; going with a Class C, and towing my car behind, or trading the car in for a truck/SUV and towing a trailer. I'm feeling more comfortable with the truck/trailer option as I've done it before, albeit not in the back country.

I haven't found my favorite towing vehicle yet. I kind of like this one, but can't figure out the towing capacity. Anybody know anything about these GMC Canyons? http://www.redmondmotorsllc.com/veh...-door-truck-fd13189621456949a92255abe322e12d/

And, towing this: Fully loaded and with all the holding tanks full (if I did my math right) it's about 4500lbs and although the fresh water holding tank is small at 28gals, I can throw some 5gal jugs in the truck to keep on hand: http://www.bigcrv.com/default.asp?p...vc=travel trailer&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

Downside, is that I would be acquiring more debt, instead of getting rid of it, but the RV I'm living in doesn't belong to me, so I can't trade it in, and even if my mother (who owns it) says, "Sure, go Boondocking in my RV!!" I really don't want to travel 700-1400 miles in this 1993 28' Bounder that has had scanty maintenance. It only gets 8 mpgs, and I'd have to tow my car around behind it in order to go anywhere, making the fuel efficiency even less. And I have no idea what insurance would cost on this thing. I just know that it's old, and things are starting to fall apart, which are expensive to repair. On the other hand, best case scenario, I get the full-time, 5 month camp host position at Sequoia, I get permission to take this old RV with me, it makes it down there in one piece, and I save enough to pay cash for a new rig.

I only know that I have exactly 1 month from today to have everything I need to hit the road, including hearing back about work camping, and I'm probably not going to be able to afford a Class B or C that's in decent condition, for less, that quickly.

And after only sleeping 3 hours last night before today's 12 hour work shift, I'm off to see if I can get at least 4 hours before tomorrow's 12 hour shift. :sleepy:

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and opinions. I may not be able to respond until I get home tomorrow night, but I'll see what I can do.

Tammi

Thank you, Cyndi! Looks like I should get something a little meatier...

PS: Drove over a few cattle guards in the Ochocos the other day, and thought of you, because of your tagline. Sounds like a story there. Where can I find it?

While I didn't do it from fear, I know the vacillating between choices all too well!

I hemmed and hawed and changed my mind for months and months. In the end I came right on back to my first instinct anyways.

Unfortunately you don't have the luxury of months of indecision from the sounds of it.

I'd say go with your gut instinct. In a year or two if you want to change things up, you can always do so. This is not a forever and ever decision.

cyndi said:
I know nothing. But, I am the queen of google!

I know nothing either. Around here I'm known as Mom Google though. LOL

All I have is:
Breathe.
Set your intention.
Have your list of what you would like and get something that meets as much of your needs as possible.

I know, easier said than done. I do better making choices when there are only 2 options that are similar but not equal. I'll probably be in a similar boat when it's my turn to pick my home.

I towed a utility trailer and a pontoon boat trailer (not at the same time :p ) for too many years, then had a couple year spell where I didn't tow and lost my awesome backing ability so I'm no help on trailers. I've lost too much head turning ability (and, no, not that kind either :p ) to be able to watch for backing up, so I'm going to be a turtle and drive my home.

I do wish you the best of luck that the perfect for you vehicle appears in your sights at the perfect time, quickly. :D

One thing I've learned in life, is that it's best just to go with your first choice.

I do vehicle graphics for a living. A person will drop their rig off for me to put some 'killer' graphics on it.
On more than one occasion, I've spent an entire day just coming up with alternative ideas as to what I kin paint on them...often (as your dilemma applies) having a hard time choosing what the 'right one' should be. (I'm working on someone else's vehicle here...I can't make the 'wrong' choice!) :s
So as the day draws to an end, and I've got nothing to show for all my brain crunching...I have to put something down, and I usually resort back to my original idea...and it's always turned out just fine!!

Case in point....

I had a semi tractor a customer brought in, (used), who wanted the old faded name & all the old pinstriping removed, and their name and a whole new set of graphics done. Perfect!!!...this is my favorite thing to do! :)

So I start by removing all the old work, and set about to lettering their name on the doors.
I take a step back to get an idea of what direction I'm going to go with the graphics. The mental flash I got was this big multi-coloured corkscrew looking thing on the hood and down the sides of the sleeper....WOW!!! This is WAY TOO LOUD for these very conservative customers who own this truck!!!!!! (repeat customers...nice folks)
oh...and NO, I usually don't do a drawing of what I'm gonna do beforehand for their approval. They trust me.....(the schmucks!!!!) :p

so anyways...I decide to keep working on the doors until I come up with something better.

After awhile, I take a step back again...only to get the same mental flash!! Oh no....I'm running out of time...and ideas!!!

Well...times up, and I have to put something down, and seeing that the only idea was to put that corkscrew down, that's what I did.

They FLIPPED over it!!!!! They absolutely LOVED IT!!!

Hmmmmmm.....lesson learned. Follow my gut instincts. The force will not lead you wrong. (this has now happened on many occasions too.) :cool:

So, my advice would be to simply go with your first choice...it's usually the best one.

Good Luck, and Be Well!

Change the fluids in the 1993 class A, leave the car behind, take a minimal amount of possessions and nothing that you can’t afford to lose, and bring the title to the RV if you have to junk it along the way.

And it the tires are questionable bring at least to spares and tools needed to change them on the road.

If you haven't found it already, you might be interested in this gal's blog.  She and her dogs full time in a Casita trailer.  Very economical.  RV Sue

We all go through that. Very normal. Some of us have purchased many different styles before finally settling down with what works best. Up at the top are a couple links called "van conversions" and "other conversions". Lots and lots of good info there.

Personally, I hate Class B's. You pay a ton of money for them and for things you don't want. Holding tanks are a pain. Using 5 gallon containers as your holding tanks works well; it's not a big deal to empty a 5 gallon bucket once or twice a week. 28 gallons worth of holding tank would last me over a month if it didn't freeze and break. Then you have fridges that may be too large and not as efficient as other rv style fridges. Furnaces take a lot of electricity and aren't as efficient or small as other options out there.

A cargo van is much better priced, but it will take some looking to find one that is in good shape at a good price.

A cargo trailer is a great compromise. Cheaper to buy, much lighter to tow while being better built. Easy to insulate and outfit the way you want. If your mom's RV dies, you could use some of the items from that like the sink, maybe the windows, etc. Pulling a trailer isn't as fun, but if you broke down, you would be able to stay in the trailer while the tow vehicle was in the shop. Can't do that with a class B or C. If you go with the Canyon, you will need a light trailer! Just because it's rated at 4000 pound towing capacity DOES NOT mean you should tow a 4000 pound trailer.

Travel trailers are expensive, heavy, and not built well. Using a Canyon would necessitate the lightest trailer possible and you won't get that with a travel trailer. A new 6X12 cargo trailer is less than $3000. Now take that $8000 you would have paid for the travel trailer and invest that into the interior. If you upcycle and look for deals, you will save thousands. Having less debt means having less fear. Debt allows people to have control over you and that greatly limits your options and ability to be flexible when unfavorable circumstances arise.

Nana

I once asked my mom for one word to describe me for a application, she instantly said considerate. I said thank you for the compliment but I think they are looking for something less personal. She said like no other you consider every possible angle, outcome, path, in whatever you do. The time you spend thinking is made up when you do because you know exactly what to do and expect. The more things to consider, the longer it takes as in the final install of my solar system. The portables fill our needs while I consider every possible combination of gear to meet our needs. 3 1/2 years so far and I'm selling off the second set of panels because of their performance while it's cloudy. A tweak most wouldn't do but it will mean not needing the generator in less than perfect weather. It will also allow us to do things others tell me I can't.

So you are not afraid, just rolling things through you head still. You will know when you hit on the right decisions, they will just feel right.

Things that help is keeping a list of pros and cons. Researching the various choices such as you are worried about getting a trailer into the back roads, where are you considering going? Just how bad are the roads in the areas you are thinking about. I can tell you that we take our 25 ft trailer though stuff that you never see in a 4x4 commercial. When I was considering replacing it with larger I wasn't worried about rock climbing, I was looking at how big the tanks were.

You can't have it all and in this case it's accepting the limitation of where you can go for comfort and space.

So start thinning things down and that will make the choices easier. Start by writing down what is important so that when you consider a choice, you have a basis to look at. It's easy with budget, I want this but can't afford it. The same is true with I want to go here and can't take a trailer. It's out.

Last thing is like you are doing here, talk to those that have been there. We may bring up things to consider that just sound like downers but sometimes reality sucks. Other times we may have the easy answer for something that could take a while to decide on.

I also was going to send you RVSues address and recommend what she's doing. I think it's just about idea--but Mockturtle beat me to it!l!!

The only problem is finding a used Cassita, Scamp or Burro is hard and still expensive. If you have the time, that would be my first choice. I'd also strongly consider a T@b if you have the money. Check out this post:
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/retired-living-teardrop-trailer/

I knew Sharon for a couple of years before she finally took the plunge, so it's pretty normal to be hesitant and concerned. Everyone I know who finally did it was very glad they did!
Bob

If you do decide that a lightweight trailer is what you want to do, head on over to:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/

for all things fiberglass. Great bunch of friendly informative people over there who are as madly in love with their fiberglass trailers as we are here of living however we want but as economically as possible.

Shoot I just loaded up my 4 kittys and a few basic items for them and myself and hit the road in my mini van before I had time to do any serious planning or thought about it! It was the best 3 1/2 weeks I'd had in a very long time.Scared ? I didn't give myself time to get scared and it was a great way to learn what I would need for my next trip.BTW I am a 57 yo woman with diabeties and some other disabilities all of which improved during my journey. You CAN do it!!!

nana4twins, all I can say is hang in there. you will make it. I take it you live in the bend redmond area. I have been to that rv dealer. I have spent a lot of time in the area. my sister and brother-in-law live in powell butte. highdesertranger

wagoneer said:
Think smaller and used. Think cash. Think fearless.

anewbiewannabe said:
I know nothing either. Around here I'm known as Mom Google though. LOL

All I have is:
Breathe.
Set your intention.
Have your list of what you would like and get something that meets as much of your needs as possible.

I know, easier said than done. I do better making choices when there are only 2 options that are similar but not equal.  I'll probably be in a similar boat when it's my turn to pick my home.

I towed a utility trailer and a pontoon boat trailer (not at the same time :p ) for too many years, then had a couple year spell where I didn't tow and lost my awesome backing ability so I'm no help on trailers.  I've lost too much head turning ability (and, no, not that kind either :p ) to be able to watch for backing up, so I'm going to be a turtle and drive my home.

I do wish you the best of luck that the perfect for you vehicle appears in your sights at the perfect time, quickly. :D

Thank you very much! It's so nice to know I'm not the only one who struggles with decisions!

wagoneer said:
Think smaller and used. Think cash. Think fearless.

Perfect.  This is my new life philosophy.  My daily mantra.  Absolutely perfect.

Thank you!

highdesertranger said:
nana4twins,  all I can say is hang in there.  you will make it.  I take it you live in the bend redmond area.  I have been to that rv dealer.  I have spent a lot of time in the area.  my sister and brother-in-law live in powell butte.  highdesertranger

Yes, I do! I have an appt at Big Country RV in Redmond, Tuesday at 9:30am. I set my sales guy looking for small, used but in good condition, super inexpensive travel trailers, and he thinks he has a couple that will work.

I only became aware of Powell Butte two weeks ago. They've got some nice property there!

Tammi

Almost There said:
If you do decide that a lightweight trailer is what you want to do, head on over to:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/

for all things fiberglass. Great bunch of friendly informative people over there who are as madly in love with their fiberglass trailers as we are here of living however we want but as economically as possible.

Tried a few times, but their server is down right now. I'll keep trying! Lightweight is wonderful. Thank you.