painting a plastic RV sink,,,

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchie

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone ever paint an old plastic rv sink with long lasting result ??? I know it must be possible, but would it last ?

Go to the hardware store and get some Krylon plastic paint. Prep work is important otherwise the paint might not adhere properly and it will start peeling. Paint needs to cure to reach its final strength and that does not happen in just a few hours or even in 2 days. So once you paint it don't use it for 7 to 10 days.

When you need to clean the sink do not use an abrasive cleaning product or an abrasive cleaning sponge or pad.

Keep the extra in the can of paint on hand for touching up the surface when it gets scratched or dull. All kitchen sinks will get scratched over time.

If your paint job fails get a new sink, preferably stainless steel.

I would be concerned that the paint would begin to peel or flake as a result of dishwater, food particles, and soap etc, especially soapy water standing in the sink basin. Metal knives and forks being cleaned would probably chip the paint.

Maybe an epoxy coating that is rated for submersion might last awhile, but I'm guessing that you can buy a sink in the color you want, or stainless steel, for less than the can of epoxy paint and the other items needed such as sand paper, brushes, and paint cleanup such as mineral spirits or paint thinner. 

My recommendation is to just buy a new (or newer) sink and save your DIY efforts for other projects.

Sofisintown said:
I found a stainless steel   bar  sink  for $5.00 at the local ReStore.  15"x15" on the outside.
I cleaned it and it looks brand new.
See if there is a a ReStore in your area. You may find a sink that fits for cheaper than paint.
ReStore is closed right now in many areas due to Covid 19, but Ebay is open. 
You can also find used RV sinks and sinks for boats on craigslist. So don't forget to check the boat parts section as well as the RV section.

Thanks you all for your posts. I should have specified, the sink is in the bathroom, so it will only be for brushing teeth or washing hands, shaving... light services... no primer is required I guess ???

can you paint a plastic sink? yes
will it last? no

but it might last long enough. follow the instructions to the tee.

highdesertranger

Frenchie I have used stainless steel salad bowls from Walmart for a small sink in 2 teardrops I built. Use a knockout puller to make your drain hole.

Also use a salad bowl myself on my previous van... But I just want to go with he easiest option, I'll think it over.

Hi all,

Just to let you know I've finally painted my sink yesterday. I have use rustoleum bathtub-sink paint... althought my sink is plastic made ! We'll see if it's gonna last. right now it look just great !

Just an update on my attemp to paint my RV's sink, well after one summer have gone by I can confirm my painting job are still shining ! no chips, scratch etc... I even tried painting botom of shower, and also a success ! I thought I give member an update on this, in case someone would like to try painting a sink .

Good job, Frenchie!
And thanks for the update, a lot of us can use a lasting paint!
1 user says thank you.jpg

Attachments

• 1 user says thank you.jpg
    1 user says thank you.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts