Pahrump to Vegas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraceinMotion

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the road is like from Tonopah NV via Pahrump to Vegas? I'm taking my sister to the airport and want to make sure I allow enough time. Is it 2 or 4 lanes, with any significant changes in elevations? TYI

US-95 is two lanes most of the way but traffic is light and fast. The same with State Road 160. There's a pass between Pahrump and Las Vegas, but whether it's "significant" depends on one's perspective and previous experience. The elevation change is about 2,500 feet. That's nothing in my book.

MrNoodly said:
US-95 is two lanes most of the way but traffic is light and fast. The same with State Road 160. There's a pass between Pahrump and Las Vegas, but whether it's "significant" depends on one's perspective and previous experience. The elevation change is about 2,500 feet. That's nothing in my book.

I drove through that pass on 160 this past winter, and there was a lot road construction on it. Possible long delays.

Could be. Then maybe it's faster to skip Pahrump and take 95 all the way into LV, then deal with all the traffic from the north side of town to the airport.

Yeah, 95 to the 215 Beltway around the west side of the city, cross I-15 and take the Paradise Rd exit to the airport. It's farther than taking 95 all the way to I-15, but traffic on that stretch of the Interstate is awful.

From Tonopah stay on US-95 all the way to Vegas. No need to route through Pahrump.
Unless you need to drive into Pahrump and do not want to back track to US-95.

On NV-160 to Blue Diamond you can get stuck behind construction vehicles hauling materials up and over the pass at 10-15mph. I did that back in the Spring on my way to Parker and it was hard on my vehicle. Now in mid-July?

Or you can drive from Pahrump back out to US-95 at 70mph limit.

The elevation change is over a short distance, which makes it more significant grade.

Anyway you slice it, driving in and around Vegas is a pain.

Highway 260 from Pahrump to Vegas is under construction and down to one lane in places. It's smooth and easy when traffic is moving. However; they are blasting in the mountain areas some days and traffic is held up. Just google "blasting on 160" and the website will tell you the times for that day. Rush hour is bad coming out of Vegas but doesn't usually affect traffic going in unless there's a wreck. That can cause a long delay. You are more likely to have trouble from the city limits to the airport if here are any problems at all. A wreck on on freeway can back them all up. Good luck!