Oyster Beds near Ocotillo and Coyote Wells, California

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertRose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever go out there? Here are the Acme Mapper coordinates:

4.4 mi NW of Coyote Wells CA
N 32.78400 W 116.02062

One of my fondest memories is of digging for Oyster shells in the mountains just north of Ocotillo, CA back in the late 50's early 60's. I had a great aunt who was the original desert rat, a woman in a trailer selling her goods at fairs before there were fees attached to it. She made a good living for herself while living in Ocotillo and striking out a few times a year in her car pulling a little trailer to sell her wares.

Anyway, we used to visit her a few times a year. We would always go digging for oysters, the best find was a pair that fit perfectly together with no damage. I used to have some but they've been lost over the years. I plan to go out there this year and reminisce and shed a tear or two for the good ole days.

When I was a little kid I sent away to all 50 states for their state rock. Of course, these were all looked up in the hardbound encyclopedia! They all answered me, and I used to get these little boxes in the mail and paste the rocks on a big white cardboard. My mother threw it out at some point. Anyway, good times...

When I was at the RTR recently I camped on the outskirts next to a prospector guy and his dog. He was mainly there to hike in the mountains looking for stuff.

I might check it out. I'll be in that general area in a couple of weeks.

I do wonder if the beds are all mined already. It's worth a look while the weather is still good out there! You might wanna do a search for some online posts about diggings in the area and see what's up first ;)

little hint, nothing is ever mined out. even large mining companies leave something behind, nothing is 100% effective. those fossil beds were never commercially mined, so even more is left. maybe a lot of the easy stuff is gone but with a little hard work you will find some. highdesertranger

My step father used to bring me out there in the late 70's. Awesome spot. We would camp out in the area now covered with wind generators and go to Agua Caliente park to soak in the hot spring pools there.

That's neat Itripper. I hope your memories are as good as mine. Maybe yours are even better - my parents didn't ever take us to Agua Caliente. We would pass there on our way to Julian and Cuyamaca. I might head over that way before I head back to AZ. It's going to be soon! I guess a lot of people have already left south and central AZ. 85 degrees ain't nuthin' ! :p