Overnight Sleeping in Los Angeles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resucami

Reaction score
Hi Forum,

I know that in general "van dwelling" is almost everywhere prohibited in Los Angeles - for sure anywhere on residential streets, mainly thanks to "Section 85.02 to the Los Angeles Municipal Code" (http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2014/14-1057-S8_ord_draft_07-22-2019.pdf). This regulation has been created first in 2016 and since then regularly been extended.

However, the regulation is always only valid for a couple of months, and the last extension from July 2019 has expired as of January 1, 2020. A new extension has not happened yet. This basically means that right now overnight sleeping in a vehicle is legal almost everywhere in Los Angeles, and in the past the police never harassed anybody in such in-between periods (I guess the extension will come latest in February).

My question goes mainly to people who have experience with overnight sleeping in their vehicle in Los Angeles:

Which areas - if possible close to Hermosa Beach, but I'd rather drive a little further for a "nicer" spot - in Los Angeles can right now be recommended for overnight sleeping in a small RV? Are there any other things that I should know and do or not do?

I want to visit someone in Hermosa Beach for a couple of meetings and need an overnight spot for my RV during that time. I'm talking about a maximum of four nights. I do not have to park the RV at the overnight spot during the day - I just show up at night and leave again in the morning (and park during the day wherever I find something bearable).

Would be great if I could get some tips here. Thanks.

Greetings - resucami

Attachments

• 14-1057-S8_ord_draft_07-22-2019.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
I grew up in and have always lived in the South Bay ( PV). The beach cities have gotten so bad I just saw a sign yesterday in PV on a small residential street banning “oversized RVs” whatever that means, from being parked in driveways. Wow.
There are lots of RVs parked inland (Torrance) but you can’t park overnight at the beach and you’ll never find street parking in Redondo or Hermosa at night. And you can’t park overnight in”nicer” areas in a non-stealth vehicle. You’ll be reported. I think people just don’t get how divided Los Angeles County is. Pretty much wealthy areas and bad ones. Nothing in the middle unless you’re willing to park on a big street or industrial area.
I’d say just park at the Walmart on Hawthorne Blvd in Torrance and drive to Hermosa.
Edit: Your attachment pertains to Los Angeles and doesn’t apply to Hermosa. Hermosa Beach is not the city of Los Angeles. It’s very confusing. Los Angeles is shaped like a T. Most of what is included as Los Angeles ( Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Pasadena, Beach cities etc) is Los Angeles County with their own city governments and rules/laws/regulations.

Thanks, Lerca.

Walmart in Torrance would be perfect. However, when I called them to inquire about it I got told that they don't allow overnight parking.

I actually thought that overnight parking is - by city orders - not permitted in any of the beach towns close to Los Angeles. I know this for sure for Hermosa Beach and saw now on the Torrance website that it's the same there. That's why I asked for acceptable spots in Los Angeles itself.

Are you sure that there are currently RV's parking overnight in Torrance? Would you know otherwise accaptable spots in Los Angeles that are not too far away from Hermosa Beach?

Greetings - resucami

PS: I know about Los Angeles and all the beach towns being separate cities.

I wonder if you called the store on 190th instead of Hawthorne since there are two. There are always a couple of RVs parked at the Hawthorne location overnight so I don’t know why you were told that.

Overnight parking is not allowed in most places ( just like tents on the sidewalk aren’t allowed and yet blocks and blocks of them can be found near Beacon in San Pedro) Some cities enforce and others don’t. Mostly only in quiet residential areas because the people get nervous.For example there are huge RVs permanently parked on PV Drive just before Western and on Hawthorne by Skypark.
Where I’m from you can’t park on the street from 3-5 am but they only give tickets once a year.

If you ask to park somewhere you’re usually told no but frankly there are just so many people in the area usually the police can’t be bothered if you’re not there for days.

Torrance doesn’t bother people too much.

There is a 24 Hour Fitness in Manhattan Beach. 1500 Rosecrans and another one in the city of Hawthorne. Also a 24 hour CVS Pharmacy on 190th St in Torrance. Norms Restaurant and Denny’s Restaurant in Torrance and Lomita are open 24 hours. Those are good places. Commercial areas of nicer cities are good. They’re safer and yet not many people park overnight so you won’t be bothered. I have a car and this is precisely why I’d get a small class B since I want to stay here.

I’d also consider the back of the City Hall complex in Torrance because it’s next to the police station ( but hidden) so they will pass you by.

For future reference the county owns a beachfront RV park called Dockweiler and ranges from $65-75 a night. It’s currently closed for repairs though.
Edit: Right next to the Walmart on Hawthorne (to your right if you were standing on the street facing Walmart) is a large office building that has a sort of hidden corner to it. I’ve parked there before. It’s a quiet place and if there are police they are watching commercial businesses and Del Amo Mall not that building.

Thanks again, Lerca.

I'm quite optimistic and relaxed now to find good spots when I want to go to Hermosa Beach next time.

I had called the Walmart store on 22015 Hawthorne Blvd, and the person who answered the phone told me that overnight parking was not allowed there. Possibly that was just what they have to say.

I know about Dockweiler RV Park. Aside from being directly at the beach (and next to the airport) I think it's not a nice place. It's also most of the time - in spite of being expensive - pretty much booked out.

resucami