Overlooks in Oregon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonFarr

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I was traveling down hwy 101 along the Oregon coast and saw some nice overlooks with lots of room. Some of them were posted "NO overnight parking" but there was a lot that did not have any signs. Does anyone know if it is ok to park overnight if there are not any signs? Thanks. Ron (I have a Ram Promaster van)

Hello,
I am at one of those right now!!
There is a sign that says "no camping" but I, along with a few others have been here for 3 days/nights without issue.
I am told that due to covid the parking restrictions are lax 
I can PM you the location if you like? lots of people during the day but thins out towards evenig. Flush toilets, trash, tables, ocean views.

Yes please that would be great if you could send me the location. Trying to plan my escape when the fires and smoke hit Northern california!

Depends where along OR 101. There are many places allowable for overnight (not all day/night) from Newport to Brookings, but the northern areas tend to be less if at all in some counties/cities.
Frankly, I'm a bit concerned what will happen over the next few months with all the evictions coming up. Spaces might become crowded, abused even. And some counties are very anti-overnighter, like Lane County.

Last time I was on the West Coast I overlooked all of Oregon. :) :) :)

It doesn't really say anything about the overlooks but this is from the Oregon Coast Visitors Association:

"Is overnight camping allowed on Oregon Coast beaches?

Overnight camping is allowed on sections of the Oregon Coast, not adjacent to Oregon State Parks, not within the city limits of Cannon Beach, Lincoln City, Seaside, Newport, Bandon, Gold Beach, Rockaway Beach and Manzanita. This includes overnight sleeping in tents, driftwood shelters, sleeping bags, recreational vehicles, trailers, or automobiles, nor where there are signs posted prohibiting camping. The places where one can camp on the beach tend to be remote , far from the road and not accessible by automobile. If you choose to make camp on the beach, be prepared to break camp on request and always practice beach safety."

Your best bet for the towns in Oregon is to have Oregon plates on your vehicle and then ypu might get away with sleeping in a neighborhood where there are some apartment buildings.

If there is a sign can be used to justify a ticket with a hefty fine.
-crofter

I checked with the Oregon State police and they said that as long as there is no sign prohibiting it you can stay overnight in a pull off on highway 101.

We were recently booted at an UNmarked overlook north of Brookings....apparently the domain of the Parks service....a Ranger booted us...