Over my head.. Solar, batteries etc

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this was under the hood. Not sure how its tied to the rest of the wiring yet. 

That is the external voltage regulator to control the alternator, and it appears to be adjustable. If so, and it works properly, you should be very happy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281962490076?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I have an adjustable regulator ( transpo540HD) modified with voltage adjustment potentiometer on dashboard. But it is not a Leece neevile HeavyDuty unit like that, which is really pretty freaking awesome.

I choose 13.6 when I know batteries are full, and 14.4 to 14.7v when I know they are not.

You could choose 14.1v or so as a middling medium, or adjust it up or down as desired Or perhaps even move it to the interior to adjust as you drive.

When the batteries are fully charged, and hot, 14.4v will overcharge them and reduce their life, especially if you are not on top of watering them often

That's nice to hear. I was told the alternator was a 200a unit as well. 
I have not looked that close to confirm it but it is an ambulance. We just bought it. 

Could certainly be rated for a maximum of 200 amps. Looks like a pretty big pulley, usually over 120 amps V pulleys require 2 belts on the alternator. It might have an intentionally larger pulley to keep it from slipping at max output.

If so, this would reduce output at Idle, which would slow recharging of depleted batteries.

Keep in mind that rating is at about 9000 rotor rpm, when cold, when asked to make everything it can, over cabling capable of delivering that much juice to loads requiring it.

If it only requires 20 amps to maintain system voltage at 14.x, it only makes 20 amps. That voltage regulator controls the field current to alternator, and varies this current in order to control the output of the alternator to maintain the voltage.

VintageVan said:
I built 2 boxes out of plywood to mock up the tray for under the hood but the batteries are too tall to even get one in. I'm going to have to move them under the van on a rail or sink them into the floor. I really dont want them inside. To big, to bulky so im going to need to figure that out.

Just remember that unless you use sealed batteries like AGM, you are going to need routine access to the batteries to check the electrolyte level, add distilled water, use a hydrometer, etc.

I will most likely build a metal box and sink them into the floor. You made my mind up on that. I really dont want to be on my back dropping batteries off the rails to check on them.

That is what I did.  Vent holes, and clean the dust off the tops of the batteries when you do your periodical inspection.   I found a place between the frame rails that would work, and drilled the corners from the bottom.  Try to center the box as much as possible.  My van has a 4 battery lean to the left.  :blush:

Latest posts