Outdoor Storage Boxes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Storage be added as a new forum

• YES, a great idea

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • NO, this newbie over reaches

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schwoebs

Reaction score
With a passenger van, I don't have a tow hitch to mount an outdoor swing away storage box (little things one notices after purchase excitement...).  I've seen some videos where people have directly mounted boxes to van doors for outdoor storage.  Thinking outdoor kitchen and extra gasoline.  This seems like a less expensive option than adding a tow hitch.  Is there a thread on the forum I haven't been able to find?  All DIY or purchased products?  Google hasn't been friendly today.

Also, perhaps a new forum on Storage for people's innovative ideas for indoor and outdoor storage?  It is one of the key ingredients to a successful nomadic lifestyle.  I'm adding a poll on a new Storage forum (hopefully correctly).

Thanks!  Schwoebs

Future full-timer
Still need to create a signature
2013 E350 and places to go

Schwoebs said:
With a passenger van, I don't have a tow hitch to mount an outdoor swing away storage box (little things one notices after purchase excitement...).  I've seen some videos where people have directly mounted boxes to van doors for outdoor storage.  Thinking outdoor kitchen and extra gasoline. 
Thanks!  Schwoebs
You can buy a 5K LB bolt on receiver for your E350 for $150. or less. Might be a lot better than adding the extra weight to your door hinges and drilling holes in the door. Add in a Harbor Freight hitch mount carrier and you're still under $200. total. You can often find this stuff at garage sales far cheaper.

I see 2 problems with mounting to the doors,

1. boxes are flat, doors are not.

2. bolting heavy things through sheet metal is not ideal. backing is a must and even then the sheet metal is going to bend and crack.

highdesertranger

Agreed with just adding the aftermarket hitch. It will add more function down the road besides current storage needs now. Plus anything and on the back can be easily expanding on vs hanging stuff off your doors. An app i found useful on my phone is something called Let it go https://us.letgo.com/en
You maybe able to find a decent deal for stuff as you move around, currently looking at a rooftop hard shell cargo carrier around me for $30. Don't have the cross bars to mount them to, but I'm looking for those as well.

You don't need a hitch with any kind of real weight rating so it would be cheap to add.

Schwoebs said:
With a passenger van, I don't have a tow hitch to mount an outdoor swing away storage box (little things one notices after purchase excitement...).  I've seen some videos where people have directly mounted boxes to van doors for outdoor storage.  Thinking outdoor kitchen and extra gasoline. 
2013 E350 and places to go
Schwoebs - One other thought on this - it's generally not a good idea to hang a lot of weight out behind the rear axle on extended vans. It seems to do something to the vehicle's center of gravity (or something), increasing the vehicle's inherent instability.

I wouldn't mount anything to the doors.
I would do anything to avoid making additional holes in metal as a general rule.

A hitch is cheap, even more so second-hand, plus a lot stronger and allows adding standard accessories like bumper racks and bike racks.
Heck, you may even want to tow something one day. ;)
They also make bullet-proof recovery points in the event you get stuck boondocking.

I'm not disputing nor giving any advice on the specific OP question here, just taking issue in general with:

> bolting heavy things through sheet metal is not ideal. backing is a must and even then the sheet metal is going to bend and crack.

And:

> avoid making additional holes in metal as a general rule

Obviously there are limits, and not all sheet metals are equal, but properly distributing the loading across genuine stainless PlusNuts correctly installed in galv'd holes properly bedded with marine grade butyl will do the job to military aviation specs.

Amazingly heavy loads and extremely thin skin sheeting, you'd really be surprised.

I realize lots of variables behind those "properly" and "correctly", and uncommon common sense is required, but, just sayin'

As long as you mount those boxes securely, with, as John says, a lot of common sense, it can work, but I would only put lightweight items in there.

Doors are not designed to carry much weight, and the hinges and latches will be damaged sooner or later if the weight is too much. Aluminum or plastic boxes and lightweight, bulky cargo (not fuel or tools) will likely be OK.

Factory spare tire carriers on van doors are always attached in the door frame and hinge area, (sometimes with the bumper involved) and the door itself does not support the weight of the tire and wheel.

Typical van doors are not structural or rated for a load.

It's been my experience that van doors eventually become nightmares. I'd do anything I could to put that off as long as I could. I wouldn't hang anything on them.

Thanks everyone. Sound advice. Yeah, the hitch sounds the better way to go long-term. I did not realize they could be found that inexpensively. The advantage to the Chevy would have been the longer wheelbase to hang weight off the back. Sadly the ideal one I found (3500 passenger extended) sold the hour before I arrived.

I recommend you add the 2-inch receiver hitch and a hitch carrier platform. Attaching to the doors will cause hinge and closing issues in the future. Also having the hitch is a plus because someday you may want to tow a boat or get a deal on a cargo trailer. So now you're all set.

There's one of Bob's videos online where two boxes were added right onto the rear doors, they are small ones and could be ok for the lighter things. The person towed a trailer so couldn't use the rear hitch, and the person also had a full roof of solar, so couldn't store above. So in some cases, mounting storage boxes to the back doors is kinda ok. 

For most vanners I'd think you could be far better served mounting on the rear hitch (once added), up on a cargo carrier over the roof, or even on a front hitch receiver. You'd have to watch the radiator cooling however a longer, lower box could work in the front. Might pose issues with opening the hood...