Out In The Wild

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacedredd

Reaction score
Next week I will be out in the wild. I'm driveway mooching right now, visiting my adult kids in WY.   Also a bit stuck cuz I ran out of my disability check before running out of the month... :D

I get paid on Friday and I am heading up to the Nat'l Forrest for a week or longer. I love the 4th of July and everything it stands for... However, I do not like crowds...  I have a couple questions for the community...

1. Will meet ups ever be in real life or continue to be virtual?
2. Will there be a RTR later this year or early next year?
3.  I'm heading up to Cody WY after the 4th any good spots anyone would care to share or advice?
4. Looking forward to connecting w/any of you while on the road.

The plan for the rest of the season is to go to UT visit some friends, then off to Northern CA to visit my Mom. Of course waiting on CA to settle down. Then from there I don't know where to go.

Born and raised in Cody.

Too bad you are arriving after the 4th. The celebration is quite the to do for them. But large crowds of course. I don't really know too many places to put your rig for a bit. The Buffalo Bill reservoir may be an option. I lived about a 30 minute walk from the South end via the South Fork hgwy...You can also camp with access from the North Fork Hwy.. but that is the route to Yellowstone and is not very "local" much more touristy... Check out the South Fork....especially if you are seeking a slower pace.

https://wyoparks.wyo.gov/index.php/places-to-go/buffalo-bill

If you have never been, be sure to check out the Historical Center...its awesome...if you like Western History. Another little spot is Old Trail Town.. with old buildings and artifacts.

If you love Western history Cody is great... but it is pretty boring otherwise and as we are in tourist season.. a bit expensive. 

Have fun! I was hoping to go back and visit family during the 4th.. but I am very far behind with everything.

The rodeo is also  pretty fun...

https://www.codystampederodeo.com/

Of course you will want to double check if camping is allowed on the South Fork... it has been some time since I was there.. I looked on google earth and it looks much more developed with housing ....not sure

Spacedredd said:
I have a couple questions for the community...

1. Will meet ups ever be in real life or continue to be virtual?
2. Will there be a RTR later this year or early next year?
Isn't it ironic  that the BLM not allowing a big event on BLM land  for the last RTR established alternatives ways of holding an RTR that are more in keeping with the social distancing needs of Covid 19?  A silver lining inside a darker situation is not always immediately revealed.

Covid 19 and holding an RTR.
...no one knows what things in Arizona and elsewhere will be like in another 6 months.  No one yet knows when there will be an effective vaccine.  This is a year to live life "one day at a time".

Thank you for the info. I plan on going to the Cody museum.  It's the main reason for going to Cody. I will stop by Graybull to look the Fire Bombers they have there.

Specedredd, the caravans will resume whenever it's determined to be safe to do so. With coronavirus cases on the rise again it may be quite a while before there are any caravans.

If it's safe to gather in large groups the RTR will be in January or February next year.

As a way to help nomads find people to camp with Homes On Wheels Alliance,  HOWA, has started a facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/wecamptogether/ 

Each individual should practice safety precautions when joining a group gathering and leave the group if they feel other members are not keeping the precautions