Our chevy high top build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCosmc

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
As I have shared, my wife and I have left/been laid off from work, sold our house and bought a van! We plan to hit the road this summer do some exploring to better understand the country and ourselves and then see what happens after our adventuring. We are trying to break away from the script, throw the chips in the air and see where they land.

Some folks have asked to follow our build and I will use this thread to document it as best I can. To start here are some pics of it in its original condition.

2001 Chevy express 1500, explorer conversion with 114k on it.

And here is our bed build and the start of our kitchen.

Bed is made of 3 sections. Each end is hinged and lifts for storage below.

Kitchen will be a hand pump sink set into an old desk and camp stove.

Here is the start of the kitchen

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 27
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 26
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 20
Let the adventures begin! Are you going to be putting solar panels on top? Also, what kind of mileage do you get on your 1500 if I may ask...

We want to do solar soon but are hitting the road for a big trip west very sooo an May not have time. We will probably do it wen we get back east and have mechanically inclined friends around!

We are getting about 16 mpg mixed hwy and city

Is the hinged bed working okay? I considered it but I imagined that getting the mattress and blankets off to lift them would be a bigger pain than just coming in from the side.

What do you think so far?
Bob

Bob,
We have 4" dense memory foam and it works great. We both like a firm bed but the padding is nice cushioning. It lifts very easy with the ply doors.
Have moved in and slept well the past 2 nights.

Very nice! Glad that you are enjoying it so far! Have fun on your travels and keep us posted!

Thanks for sharing. Best of luck for your starting out.

We are moved in and te van is just about done! We are building a new panel and storage space where the tv was and then securing the curtains.

We have parked at friends/family homes but last night was our first stealth night. Stopped in a 48 hour lot to get everything ready for bed and then pulled into a nearby residential area, turned off the lights and got a good sleep in.

I was a little nervous but it all worked out fine.

Don't be surprised if it feels odd for awhile, that's normal and for most of us it either goes away or at least gets better. It's worth the adjustment period!!
Bob

it's nice to see another 1/2 ton GM build out there. Many folks say it can't be done...but if done in a WESTY mentality it works out fine, and the mid teens for millage is a bonus.

Best wishes and enjoy the journey!
Thom

I have a 2000 Express High Top and would like to install insulation against the fiberglass composite top. What is generally done to attach the wooden rails to install the finish paneling after the insulation? Will Epoxy work. I do not want to screw through the roof of course.

WC, the  way I approach this is by first cleaning the FG, really cleaning it. I now mark my centerlines (normally 16" spacing) next get on the table saw and rip 1/2"   plywood into 3" strips (a whole sheet) I then cross cut them anywhere from 1 inch wide to 1 foot wide as I go.  On a flat run, glue the 3"x1' pieces straddling the centerlines using polyurethane glue from a glue gun (tubes). Apply enough so that the glue oozes out all sides as you press down, the viscosity and suction will keep it in place, the plywood must be fully covered, no air gaps. When you get to curves, use the 1" or 2" pieces depending on how sharp the radius is. (Apply glue to the butt joints also) The next day, apply your 1.25"x1.25" cleats  (ripped from white pine 2x4's) using liquid nails and 1&5/8" brads, of course you will have to cross cut short pieces to follow the curves. Overlap your joints a little where you can, a must!    This works, its very easy but time consuming, dont go back and forth for every cut, take a bucket of pre cut pieces, you will get the hang of what is needed, if your on a 1 foot flat straight run, do all of them on both sides, if your on a curve with 1 inch pieces, do all of them.  [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]This is one approach, you will get others that might be faster.[/font]

another option this is what I do,

first clean the top really well
glue the soft flexible closed cell foam to the top.
then glue hull liner to the foam.

as a side benefit this eliminates the condensation and the rain that follows in the winter.

link to show hull liner,

https://www.dltcorporation.com/category_s/343.htm

this link is just to show what hull liner is I am not endorsing this website. I have no idea how they are the might be good they might not.

highdesertranger

Latest posts