Our build of an RV from scratch (with pics)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8x4 is easy to find. 10x4 a little more difficult. you can also buy in one continuous piece 8 feet wide but I don't think in the .040. more so in the lighter gauge like .020. highdesertranger

Mobilesport said:
Is the  [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]0.040"  aluminium sheet hard to find ? [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'm looking to buy one sheet 11 ft x 3 ft[/font]

After a very brief bit of research, it looks like it may be possible to find aluminum sheets in the size you're looking for. You would have to go through an industrial metal supplier and order a custom size sheet. Since this would be a custom order of a larger than standard size, you would end up paying a premium for your aluminum sheet. There are also multiple grades/types of aluminum. Which type you need will also be a factor in the cost and availability. I found a site that had a custom order screen and ran the a .040" sheet at 3' x 11' and came up with prices ranging from $143 to $570 for a custom sheet the size that you want depending on the type of aluminum.

All that said, they had a very helpful information page which may be helpful to you in determining what type of aluminum would be best suited to your aplication. Also, I found the product descriptions helpful and easy to understand.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/productguides/aluminumguide.cfm

I've never done business with this company, so I can't give them an endorsement or criticism. Use them as resource to find out what you need, then shop around.

highdesertranger said:
8x4 is easy to find.  10x4 a little more difficult.  you can also buy in one continuous piece 8 feet wide but I don't think in the .040.  more so in the lighter gauge like .020.  highdesertranger

Sorry, have been boondocking in a free spot in Idaho.   I sure hope you can buy 0.040 in a continuous 8 foot wide, because that is exactly what we did.  It actually was 100 inches wide IIRC.