Our build of an RV from scratch (with pics)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all did an absolutely awesome job!!! I can only hope mine turns out half as nice! Hope y'all have a great time in it.

cool and congrats. where are you headed first? you better keep us updated. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
cool and congrats.  where are you headed first?  you better keep us updated.  highdesertranger

Thanks!

Our house closes next Wed. so we need a place to collect our thoughts (been hectic getting things sold/hauled off).  Because it is right before Memorial Day weekend, I wanted just a short trip then park.   I am thinking Moses Lake sand dunes in Washington, which will have about 13 million people there but has a lot of room for parking (might not have a lot of room for parking toward Friday).   Past Memorial Day we are heading into Montana for the month of June.  July hopefully Wyoming or who knows?

Wow, amazing job!!!! I am blown away.......and slightly jealous. hahaha Now time to enjoy the fruits of your labors. :) Keep us posted.

I am so incredibly impressed by your rig. Man, that thing is just so damn impressive. I love the modular setup. The traveling garage/workshop is so cool. Those bikes look like they'd be a ton of fun to have along.

I'm in almost the exact same situation as you are in regards to house sale and launch timing. My close date is 5/31. I'm planning to send my boss a resignation letter that day and work until June 10, then head west.

I'd love to meet you, check out your rig, and visit with you. Your setup tells me you're the kind of guy I'd like spending some time with. hopefully our paths will cross.

I was looking for pictures of the front half, which I assume is living quarters. Have you shared any yet?

Oh! I see now there are some in the first post of this thread.

IGBT said:
Thanks!

Our house closes next Wed. so we need a place to collect our thoughts (been hectic getting things sold/hauled off).  Because it is right before Memorial Day weekend, I wanted just a short trip then park.   I am thinking Moses Lake sand dunes in Washington, which will have about 13 million people there but has a lot of room for parking (might not have a lot of room for parking toward Friday).   Past Memorial Day we are heading into Montana for the month of June.  July hopefully Wyoming or who knows?

If the Dunes gets too crowded take road M down to hwy 282.  Turn left on 282 for about 1/2 to 3/4  mile and turn right at the public fishing sign.  The Heart lake area has pit toilet and camping area.  There is a number of other lakes and camping areas close by.  It does require the WA state Pioneer pass.  Road is gravel and sometimes washboard but solid.

Social Security Point on the Pot Holes reservoir is also a free camping spot.  These were some of my quick get out of town spots when I lived in Moses Lake.

lGBT
Is that wood under the aluminium roof , what's that for?
This thread is going to come in handy ,  thanks for taking the time to post

lGBT
I would love for you to explain how you built these corners
I see no place that you made cuts , the final corner looks like one piece , how did you pull that off?
I'm talking about the picture where the corner is completely finished and painted white., there seems to be no seems ?????

How'd you get the cuts spaced out just right , the cuts around that corner seemed to be spaced out perfectly liked you used some fancy cutting tool?

Mobilesport said:
How'd you get the cuts spaced out just right , the cuts around that corner seemed to be spaced out perfectly liked you used some fancy cutting tool?

Jigsaw with metal cutting blade and math.   :)

Mobilesport said:
lGBT
Is that wood under the aluminium roof , what's that for?
This thread is going to come in handy ,  thanks for taking the time to post

Yes, the aluminum roof has 1/2" marine ply under it (two layers of 1/4" marine ply bent to a curve under the front curved section).  This was so we can walk on the roof.

Howiet said:
If the Dunes gets too crowded take road M down to hwy 282.  Turn left on 282 for about 1/2 to 3/4  mile and turn right at the public fishing sign.  The Heart lake area has pit toilet and camping area.  There is a number of other lakes and camping areas close by.  It does require the WA state Pioneer pass.  Road is gravel and sometimes washboard but solid.

Social Security Point on the Pot Holes reservoir is also a free camping spot.  These were some of my quick get out of town spots when I lived in Moses Lake.

Thank you!   (I love the name, Social Security Point, LOL)

Moses Lake was WAY TOO CROWDED and dusty as well.   People had marked out large areas for their friends who were coming in later and pretty much everything was taken even though there were not that many campers there yet.

We stayed that first night at a rest stop off I-90 and then we found the Fishtrap BLM area.  Awesome place, with no crowds at all.

Good cell reception and we are getting about 55 TV channels.  Finally relaxing a bit after the hectic weeks leading up to selling our house and hitting the road permanently.

fishtrap.jpg

Attachments

• fishtrap.jpg
    fishtrap.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 20
Welcome to the open road !
Cool to see that rig in full travel/expedition mode , looks like you're ready for anything ........

That is such an incredible rig you've designed and built! I LOVE IT!!!

OK, what's it got for an engine/trans, and what kind of fuel mileage are you squeezing out of it??

Thanx so much!

Patrick46 said:
That is such an incredible rig you've designed and built! I LOVE IT!!!

OK, what's it got for an engine/trans, and what kind of fuel mileage are you squeezing out of it??

Thanx so much!

The engine is a 4cyl Isuzu diesel and the transmission is a 4 speed with overdrive.   I was surprised to find we were still getting 9.5mpg pulling the 3200 pound sailboat and loaded with near 19,000 pounds on the truck.   I guess that is the beauty of diesel.

It is a slow pull up grades more than about 4%.   On a 7% uphill, we can only do about 35mph and stay in 3rd gear.   But on flat or slight grades it can do 60mph+ (I keep it at 55mph for the best mpg).   A bigger truck would be nice as far as engine HP goes but we probably will just keep this one and poke along...not in any hurry anyway.

LGBT
Is the  [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]0.040"  aluminium sheet hard to find ? [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'm looking to buy one sheet 11 ft x 3 ft[/font]