Organization

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
How do you organize (specifically) the items in your van? What size tote, holds what specific items.  A check list and pics would be ideal.  I am amazed at how organized and how much some people are able to carry without being cluttered. But I can't figure out how they do it. I went camping with someone who had a tote that magically had everything they needed neatly organized in it. I attempted to duplicate and ended up with six big totes that were always in the way and couldn't find what I needed and didn't use half of what I brought. Then my vehicle broke down and I had didnt know what to do with all the totes while the mechanic worked. So, I paired down and eliminated things I did not use on the trip, like a propane lantern, and propane grill. Any details appreciated, but not generalities (label the tote, organize by like items, color code, etc.) Looking for detailed (two totes: one size x by y by z, contains a, b, c, 1, 2, 3)

i like the half height rubbermaid totes. My kitchen pots are in a milk crate and a half height crate with a few shoe box sized totes completes my kitchen. I also keep my first aid kit in a shoebox, at the same location. I also use a few reuseable grocery bags and a bucket.

I almost said I have no totes and then I realized that I have a couple of them in my rear overhead storage space. One has dress clothes, another my severe weather parka/wool mitts/hat etc., a third and fourth have all my backpacking gear stored in them. I'm carrying them because I had no other place to store them and they weren't in my way. When I get back north those 2 will be traded out for sewing supplies instead. I use the shallow under bed style totes for those because they fit nicely in the space available and are big enough to hold what is in them and not an ounce more... :D

All of my stuff is in cupboards and storage spots.

The big goal is to have enough stuff that you need, nothing that you don't and have everything in it's place so you don't have to move one thing to get to another.

Both ends of the bed lift up, laundry hamper in one end over the wheel well, the other end is the 'deep' storage for all those things I don't need regularly but still have to have on board. Clothes go in the clothing cabinet, dishes and cookware go in the front overhead storage cabinet. Food is in the pantry if it doesn't need refrigeration or freezing. Cooking utensils and cutlery are in the drawer under the kitchen counter. The Buddy heater is stored behind the drivers' seat against the outer wall of the pantry.

Under the bed and accessible from the rear doors is the  burner propane stove for cooking outdoors. The single burner butane gets stored in it's plastic case in the gap between the fridge and the dividing wall. The rear storage area holds lawn chairs, table, portable solar, RV mat, etc. etc.

Organization is like a puzzle.  I really think it is a trait that is determined by your brain and that some people's brains just don't work that way.  An artist can look at something and draw/paint it and it's a treat to behold yet when I try, it's a stick person or a smiley face.  Same thing with organizing for some people.

I am really good at organizing and have tried to help others who have asked for help to get that way.  I have concluded that some people just don't see it.  In the midst of it all, their eyes glaze over, they get this confused look on their faces and almost just freeze in place.  When it's all finished, they're thrilled with the results but two weeks later, it's all back to what it was before.

My personal rules:

1.  If you haven't used an item in a year, ditch it.  I say a year because some things are seasonal.  

2.  Create designated zones.  All kitchen items are in the same area, all clothes have a place, all tools together, you get the idea.  And the zones should be where you would use the items.  For instance, I dress in the rear of the van so that's where the clothes go.

3.  Containers are acquired to fit certain items and/or spaces.  Nothing else goes in it but what it was acquired for.  I think the biggest mistake people make is to grab an item, look around and think, "Where will this fit?" And then just stash it.  You'll never find it again.  One must, instead, think, "This is a kitchen item. It goes IN the kitchen area.  Period."  There may be a very few exceptions (something too large to fit there), but mostly you must stick to your guns!

4.  Whatever you do, it must be easy to use!  If I have to "fight" with something to use it, it's gone or rearranged or changed.

It's my observation that people who just can't stay organized also tend to be very attached to their things.  One lady had numerous kitchen gadgets that required lots of space to store.  I asked her when was the last time she used that item.  She said, "I haven't used it yet."  Me:  "When did you get it?"  Her:  "Oh, about a year ago."  If the word "someday" is in your vocabulary (as in "someday I may need/want this"), you may want to consider getting rid of it.

Best of luck!

Added:

You wanted specifics but every space is different and what I specifically used probably wouldn't work for you.

I built my bed on top of three identical "night stands", installed in a row, each had two deep drawers. The drawers in the rear held clothes. The two middle drawers held tools, batteries, stuff like that. The two front drawers were kitchen. The kitchen counter was built across the aisle from those drawers with a shelf under the counter top that exactly fit the stove and a collapsible basin. And under that was where water jugs were stashed, again built to fit those jugs. I also had hanging storage and hooks (a hook near the door for my jacket). Flashlight was kept in the pocket on the door I used to get in and out, along with dog leash and poop bags. Right there where it was very handy.

It'll take experimentation and time on your part to figure out what works for you. And maybe you will never be as "organized" as some, and that may be ok, too.

All I can say is everybody carries a different amount of things differently. If you like to cook, your kitchen will be larger, etc. I would suggest to organize needed things on your floor grouped by function and then use cardboard boxes built to the size of a standard tote that is similar in size to your pile. Arrange/stack the totes on the floor to fit in the space you laid out on the floor with tape that is the size of the space you will have. Then you can build around the totes. Under a bed is a great place to store stuff and depending on the size of the containers you need will determine how high the bed will be. If bed height is paramount, get totes that will fit under it. This is all space management and will be different for everybody.

My Roadtrek came prebuilt and I fit what I needed in the space provided for those things. My closet is too small, so I had to add an RV closet rod under a shelf above a rear seat to hang jackets and such from. I had to adapt to the space I have.

You will learn to adapt to the space you have.

I don't think anybody here is going to say exactly what YOU need. Everyone's needs are different.

Checklists/list only please. I want to learn from other's trial and error as a start. I have seen people laminate a copy of a list of what is in each tote and attach to the top. I am looking for the lists that have been created already. Not a conceptual description of the process. I apologize if that wasn't clear in the original post that requested specific lists.

Jamesp303,

I know you wanted great detail, I'm sorry I didn't provide that.  What Brian said is true since everybody's space and needs are different.

For instance, my bed was 68"L x 30"W.  I am 5'3" tall and weigh 132#.  And I sleep alone.  Will that size bed work for you?

And I rarely cook so I carried one small skillet and one small pot. All kitchen stuff fit in one 18"x16"x6" drawer. Others use much more than that.  How about you?

Also, I hate totes and boxes.  There were none in my van.

It sounds like you want a complete inventory of everything I carry, along with measurements of every item and how it's stored.  It took eight months to get it right.  It would take hours to provide what you want and, frankly, too much info for me to put out there.

Good luck and best wishes. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Wow.  Just wow.  This reminds me of a commerical where one neighbor asks another for a recommendation on a roofer and then proceeds to give a list of requirements and actions that he expects the neighbor to do FOR FREE.  Here is a you tube video of it... for anyone who wants a laugh.  

For the OP, you might just need to adjust your expectations.   You've been gently told that your request wasn't reasonable.  No one of here has the same needs or wants as you do so there is NO standardized packing list for vandwelling, rv ing,  etc.  You've been given some VERY good information on how to make the list YOURSELF. 

Now that said, I  totally get that you don't want to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily,  however you've been told more than once that what you want is a personal thing.  Please accept that.  And please appreciate the gift of good advice and recommendations rather than spurn it because it didn't meet your requirements.

James,
The human mind is subjective. As we read your post and our understanding may be quite different from what you intended.

A simple thank you, for your time and effort, would have been more appropriate.

I prolly shouldn't post this but hey...

Somebody mentioned shoe boxes. I have small feet so not much would fit in one of my shoe boxes.

I did, however, have to use half of one large drawer for my bras...

?

Hahaha. Nothing like lightening up the conversation

Organize yourself based on chores that need to be done. Those chores often determine what goes into a box.
so the first list to make what is basically the list of chores involved in your lifestyle

For instance 6 areas of things to organize
cooking including both food and gear
general cleaning materials for the space, vehicle, and gear including laundry supplies and garbage bags, paper towels, rags
First aid and personal hygiene activities. Bug spray, sun screen, foot powders, combs, etc are part of hygiene chores
getting your body clothed and also linens for bedding and towels too
tools and supplies such as lubricants and adhesives for repairs and improvements including a sewing kit
communication and electronic devices and their batteries and cables

Non food related supplies that could be messy if spilled can be sorted into the same bin such as the lubricants, adhesives, cleaning fluids.

You will want to have a bin or bag that holds the laundry as well as the laundry supplies

your shower kit with hygiene items might go into a bin with your clean clothes, towels,bed linens and your sewing kit

first aid kit could be wall mounted next to your fire extinguisher and flashlights can be wall mounted

tools in a tool box, the tool box can also hold cords, cables and small batteries as well as adhesive tapes

Here goes, look at your space and delineate the "rooms". Bedroom, kitchen, living room and bathroom, have I forgotten any? What you own and use in your bedroom goes in or near that space. Kit, Lvng, Bthrm same plan. Use clear totes, so you can see whats in them without pulling them down, with lids to keep out dust and critters. I think you will find that after awhile your organization will take shape in a way that works for you. That's one of the fun things about this life, it is so individual. I'd be interested in what you come up with and how you got there.