Organ Grinder Video

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone seen my monkey?

th.jpeg

:p

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 4
Down the road from where I live now there was  retired Machinist who restored all kinds of these organs, nickelodeons, and orchestrians.  Some of the ones he had were huge and he had purchased them from
all over the world,  Knew their history since each of them were new.

He showed me photos of how he had traveled as far as Brazil and Argentina to look at working ones
and make drawings of their working parts (that he needed to make copies of for his own)  and had
many other things such as player pianos. 

This organ in the video uses what he would call "book" music with a manual feed.  If you notice
the opposing scores in the perforated card stock, that is to allow the material to fold on itself
and not be all over the floor.

I've always loved  these things.   He passed away a few years ago and I'm sure he had directions
in his will for how they would be disposed as no one else in his family cared much for them.  It was
his passion. 

Why was I there ?  Well the upstairs of his barn had been painted white and he was wanting to make
a Ball Room of it and was wanting me to paint the walls to look like the dance halls that these musical
pieces came from.   He had heard of me when I was working in outdoor advertising and painting
bill boards and  was sure I could do the pictorials he wanted.

I asked him about these musical pieces and he told me that in other countries in certain times of the year
that they would transport these from town to town where they didn't have musical groups and set up
so young people could court each other and find relationships that could lead to marriage.  These were
more like third world countries.   Some of them came from amusement parks, and the like.  What he was wanting to do was host events for others he knew who were enthusiast for these instruments.

I drive by there every now and then and the Barn has grown up in vines and who knows what has happened.

MusicBarn.jpg

Some of the machines had Circus like painting on them
which he liked.  Some was Ocean Side and some was
more City Life. 

images

images