OREGON '23...............Postcards from the Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camphosting has its pros and cons.

to continue the thread hijack.... lol

I am hosting a Horse Only NF camp outside Flagstaff... I only question people's diets by their leavings... ahem... other than that I do not get the weekend warriors, and I suppose if someone strips of and jumps in the livestock water tank, well, I can't see that from here... ;)

My comment above was about the behavior modification comments. Forgot I wasn't yet at the end of the current posts.

Redwoods.jpg

Ahhhh...........we spent a couple days traveling and camping thru the Jedediah Smith Redwoods in NoCal

And let's try one more

Blackie.jpg

Blackie looking MAD in her tent ....w/door open.......while also on a leash..........."Let me loose Dad !"

We've been chasing Engine/Transmission glitches for some time............finally found that the EngineCoolantTempSensor is toast (always registering NORMAL) ...........AND the EngineThermostat was "stuck" (Overheating both engine and transmission)............Repairs continue On-the-Road...........112,000 miles ..........

Last edited:
Blackie's expression reminds me of the photo "Hog on Ice" by Kosti Ruohomaa (1960s Maine photographer).
old-ice-photos-maine-winter-harsh-10-600x621.jpeg
not best pleased with their humans

Great Hog Picture...........Blackie wasn't impressed with SNOW either

Blackie on ice.jpg

Lassen National Park Spring 2022

EDJ ..........sure I peruse the Fordforum but don't POST.....That's where I learned about needing to Flush the Transmission every 30,000 HARD miles...........Had that completed Six weeks ago............BUT we didn't KNOW the engine was overheating while they were flushing the system!

So it looks like the tempsensor is on the BACK of engine accessed thru the passenger front wheel/splash guard..............The Transmission shifted perfectly on a maiden test run after the new thermostat............It's a Sealed Transmission (No Dipstick up top)...............Sealed coolant/No radiator cap .....only an overflow bottle (Replaced in the Desert 'cause it was cracked).............Too many Plastic engine parts !?

We like Sisters..........and Bend.........Mid-AUGUST ?

I've also been wanting to check out a WanderLust WayPoint located near Christmas Valley....

That's an "RV/Schoolie/Van NOMAD Build/Rebuild location"......a 'campground' with amenities started by JOHNNY BLAZE..................There's now 18 locations across the USA

(Link removed)
Check their rates for coming by to visit before you go out of your way.

^ At least a $100 a week for boondocking...................Did you visit ?
I did not. There is one just down the road from me. Someone was talking about it in a local skoolie forum and the amount they were charged for a single night of boondocking was excessive.
That's why I said be sure and check before you go.

I hit send too quickly. I've seen this fella advertising everywhere. The way he words things it makes it seem like it is free or very inexpensive. After seeing what the folks I'm referring to were charged to park in an open field ....I feel I need to give a heads up

Safe Travels BEN......................

Our friend Ken from VanAid came to join us in his RV.......He followed those Google directions down an ATV trail !
At one point a Tree reached out and grabbed his sidedoor.....can't trust those Trees !?

ken.jpgken door.jpg

We removed the broken door and made a new bottom rail.................Gluing the thin outer skins to the foam and wood structure.............and finishing with the original trim...............ALL BETTER NOW !

The BUGS are special here in Oregon............We have two species of Mosquitos in the van at nite.......Big ones and Little ones.....

The Big ones are easy to kill.....First they bite Paulette and then they are easy to see and smash leaving a new decorating style on the ceiling.....Red and Black splashes.........much like a WWII flying ace's kills

The Little ones are impossible to find/kill.......they leave a trail of bites on any Paulette's exposed skin at night...

Well let's have one cool Bug.......a "camouflaged" Moth who looks like Tree Bark hanging on the shade cloth

moth.jpg

YMMV........Deposit required..........Don't eat the yellow snow............

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.