Opinions wanted on a '95 Chinook w/extras.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigT

Reaction score
OK, keep in mind I'm looking in California...  A state with insane prices on everything.  

I recently found a 1995 Chinook on a Ford E350 chassis with 79,000 miles for $17,000.  

Here's an abbreviated list of the extras it comes with.  

Clean title, no accidents.
79k original miles

Ac, Cruise control, Power keyless entry, Electric fold in mirrors, Alarm system 

500 Watts of solar, 60amp mppt charge controller, 1500 watt inverte

Viper, Remote start security system, 2 way remote start alarm with sensors in all doors. 

3 roof vent fans, (rain sensing, auto temperature control, remote, rain sensing). 

Upgraded sound system, 7.0 Touch screen Bluetooth, aux, mp3 player, New Kenwood 6x8 door speakers. 

Automatic Back up camera 

Valterra Automatic dump valve 

Vinyl flooring 

Upgraded porcelain toilet 

Motion detecting solar light 

Rgb interior mood light strips 

12v led, low power consumption TV, 16" monitor. Led ballasts throughout. 

Brand new main door, with screen and 2 locks 

Brand new folding back steps Custom floral front partition curtain Custom beachwoos plank vynil wallpaper, Designs: kitchen backsplash, bathroom door mounted wallpaper, beach wood vynil veneer Day/night blackout shades on all windows New exterior shower
_________________________________________________________________________________________

So what are your thoughts?  

Attachments

• 01616_ijm344TgK86_1200x900.jpg
    01616_ijm344TgK86_1200x900.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 00w0w_23uiAAT7CiX_1200x900.jpg
    00w0w_23uiAAT7CiX_1200x900.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 34
With all the upgrades that's a good deal but I wonder how well the engine runs. 79k miles is kind of low for a vehicle that's 24 years old. If you haven't seen it in person I would check it out to make sure it isn't too good to be true. I have heard horror stories of people buying RVs online only to arrive where they were suppose to pick up the RV and realize they had been tricked.

I'm sorta courious about a new door, why was it replaced? Did someone live in it full time and wear it out? Did the fiberglass delaminate and it was falling out? How do you get an original door for this model? Age of the solar system? Size and age of the batteries? Date the tires were manufactured? Looks awful good for something that sat. Hoses and drive belts ever replaced? Maintenance records? Oil analysis and compression test? Was the wallpaper replaced due to water damage? Is the toilet mounted solidly, did the floor have any rot or water damage since the vinyl had to be replaced. Are the window seals soft or dry rotted? If you don't check and get good answers from professionals which might cost up to $500 you may very well end up spending thousands more. Very few 20 some year old vehicles carrying close to their maximum load don't wear out any mechanical parts or have windows that haven't leaked and gotten floors that didn't rot. Have professionals look closely before paying that much more than a vehicle is worth. There is bound to be more than one in California if not there is a good reason!

x2 on the why so much new stuff on such a low mileage vehicle. a lot of those extras I don't consider pluses but negatives. highdesertranger

Looks reasonable to me. California is not hard in RVs as there is no freezing.

Personally I like a permanently made up bed and diesel power, nevertheless that looks like a really nice camper that most everyone would appreciate. It’s easy to get in and out of. It possible to pull over and not have to get out to get in, like my truck camper which is a PITA.

I’d get it checked out by a mechanic. The low mikes are not uncommon on campers. Some people let them sit. Mine sat fit 18 years and only made two trips from winconsin to Florida. Due to the death of the owner. It was very clean and only had a few age related issues.