Opinions on this rig (C Class)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO according to NADA it's $10,000 high not counting the high milage. It's almost 20 years old. Using the specs in the ad as close as can tell $16,475 is average retail, $13,660 is Low retail. This explain how it's rated.

Low Retail Value — A low retail unit may have extensive wear and tear. Body parts may have dents and blemishes. The buyer can expect to invest in cosmetic and/or mechanical work. This vehicle should be in safe running order. Low retail vehicles usually are not found on dealer lots. Low retail is not a trade-in value.

Average Retail Value — An average retail vehicle should be clean and without glaring defects. Tires and glass should be in good condition. The paint should match and have a good finish. The interior should have wear in relation to the age of the vehicle. Carpet and seat upholstery should be clean, and all power options should work. The mileage should be within the acceptable range for the model year.

An Average Retail vehicle on a dealer lot may include a limited warranty or guarantee, and possibly a current safety and/or emission inspection (where applicable). Here's NADAs site https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/ Good Luck!

My initial thoughts from looking at other class Cs of that era, is that they are asking twice what it is actually worth. I realize to some, that the "Lazy Daze" brand is held in high regard for it's build quality, but will have to ask yourself if you are willing to pay Airstream prices for it.

My personal thoughts are to find something else that has neutral styling, and colors, that isn't so much money for being so old, with 119,000 miles.

You can always offer Bluebook price. Looks very well cared for.

it does look like it's in good shape, but I agree with the others, way over priced.

also for me the color scheme sucks, but I like my stuff to look like dirt, LOL. but I am not the one who is going to live in it, so that doesn't matter.

highdesertranger

definitely over priced.

better deals out there on younger rigs at a better price :) keep on looking, the right deal will come your way

Thanks all, that's what I figured...I heard they were good rigs so was searching for just that type to see what came up. The rig looks nice but the price does seem outrageous.

BTW, I do like the colors so that is not a problem but I wouldn't spend $10,000 too much just for the color.

If I get one I'd like a good brand, built well and reliable, but also want a good deal  :cool: :D :p Me and everyone else, right? I don't even know what other brands are good at this point!

It certainly looks to be in above average condition given the number of miles. I suspect that those mile were accumulated on long highway trips rather than a whole lot of local weekend trips. Certainly no one has been living in it full time, it is too pristine of an interior for that scenario.

One would expect to be paying above average prices for something that looks to be in as good of condition as this one. But without an inspection by a mechanic you won't know its true condition or if they just hired a super duper auto detailing firm before they took the photos.

I also think it is a lot of money to pay for something like this. I like the condition, the mileage is ok if well serviced and the colour is fine with me. I wouldn’t buy this kind of motorhome because the overhang is way too far past the rear wheels, I would  ideally choose 21 footer. I bet if they say fuel mielage is 9 and once got 10 you would be looking at 8 at best, most people choose to advertise the better days, he never said it once got 7 in a headwind. Good luck with your search.

I have not seen anyone mention a couple of issues with the engine/trans at that mileage.
Look up the V10 plug popping issues, combined with the trans in that unit...which is not the greatest.
Timing chains also have a load of repairs on them...and most times they try fixing them, they end up putting a reman engine in them. It just is not worth fooling with in the long run.
This unit is right around the breakage-zone of like-spec'd box vans in both engine and transmission.
If it had super low miles, maybe it would be something worthwhile.
The 120K mileage makes it a HELL no scenario.
The long overhang comments have merit also, but it's built right into most in this size.

Adventuregurl you couldn't find this thread because I moved it. I PMed you 2 days ago explaining. are you not receiving my PM's I just PMed you again. please PM me back so I know you are getting them. highdesertranger

What I'm hoping to find is a rig that will be an easy sell if it turns out I don't like RVing...that is my main goal...does anyone have any suggestions on what direction to go or where to look?

To be honest I don’t know for sure as I have never driven one with that big overhang but they never look right to me, and that would be my guess. One thing that would surely happen is driving in and out of steep drives could be an issue, potentially scrapping the back or highcentering. I think or have heard that if you can find a 21 footer they are in bigger demand so I would think a lot easier to handle and to resell but someone with more knowledge of this kind of motorhome might be a better source then myself, I own smaller vans so when I see some of these long versions, with odd ball large engines, I often think it would be like buying a mid seventies Cadillac in 1980, just before they started making cars smaller. Overnight they lost a lot of value even if it was a lot of car for the money no one wanted them. However maybe you need the space for a lot of people so to each their own.

Never worry about missing a deal which this was NOT as there's always another deal another day. No one will pay them this asking price. If you like it offer him 1/2 price in a nice way based on having an inspection done & approved by you.

I run a 32' class A with HUGE rear overhang.

The biggest issue is trailer towing weight.
The further the ball is away from the rear tires, the more force the trailer puts on the tow vehicle.
I tow a 22' car trailer with a station wagon and toolbox/welder on it...and it is no lightweight.
(There is an entire subframe built underneath that did NOT come with the RV, however. This would be a 800-1200 price if you required it done.)

To flat tow a small car or truck, you would not need this. I wanted to be able to support 1200 pounds of tongue weight in stride...and I come from the "mosquitoes are best killed with an AR-15 or a bulldozer" school of thought. Strong is better. Big *&^%'s small. (Peace be on Alfie Solomons...:) )

Most larger RV's have the overhang. While I agree with FK's general assessment, you are not going to find them with the axles right at the rear. (They would need a parking lot to turn around in.)
You don't see them wrecked because of the overhang, either.

A truck is a TRUCK. Not a Mustang GT.
You drive as its brakes, suspension and handling dictate and know your limits.
The biggest issue people not familiar with trucks have is entering a corner too fast and braking on the mountains.

Did someone say braking on mountains??

The braking part is SOO easy to remedy.

This easy: basically, you set two speeds for yourself.
Lets say 45 on the low end, 60 on the top end. Let others pass you and don't get "pushed" by an a$$holic driver.
At the very top of the hill, you should be doing the 45MPH speed.

Foot OFF the throttle, allow it to roll up to set brake speed (60 in this case) and HIT the brakes down to 45.
(I don't mean to throw all your dishes and pets into the windshield...but HIT them. Don't "tinkerbell" them. This should take as close to 1.5 seconds as you can comfortably deal with. The more time on the brakes, the hotter they get.)

Let off. (The brakes are now cooling themselves, getting ready for the cycle to repeat.)
Roll back up to set brake speed and HIT the brakes again down to 45. (Conan The Barbarian, not Tinkerbell)

Let off again.

If it takes the speed back up to the 60 mark too quick, you need to be starting the hill slower and lowering your downhill speed.
Once or twice doing this will communicate your specific vehicles comfort zone.
In old stuff with 3 speeds, you leave it in D, or even slow down enough to use "2" on the downhill. (KNOW your RPMS if doing this. Many are unable to deal with more than 35-40MPH in "2."
In the OD equipped vehicles, pulling it into "3" or "D" helps. The engine can rev a little and hold you some.
If your engine, pulled out of OD holds you @ that 45 or even 55 speed all the way down...GREAT! You never had to touch the brakes. They are stone cold and capable of 100% of their stopping power at the bottom.
As you leave the "converted van" realm, this has to be on your mind more and more.
Knowing how to deal with it will keep you safer.

If you ever find yourself without brakes, TAKE THE STONE RAMP.
People get "buck fever" at that moment of truth.
Those stone runaway ramps are there to save your life.
RV's use them. Legally. Some people pass them and wreck, thinking they are only for big trucks.
Screw the vehicle damage, save your skin. If that pedal went to the floor, that stone ramp is your BEST friend.
Having this mindset BEFORE you have a problem can help avoid that moment of unsure-pause-in-action.
Identify the run away ramps ahead of time...make damned sure you are in that right lane on downgrades.

Next time you are on a big hill, watch the brake lights.
You will see loaded trucks braking much like what I described.
You will smell the burning pads/shoes of those who do not use this method.
Those are the idiots who kill people.