Opinion on this 1986 Chevy G20?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
being that it's a unibody and has rust on the frame portion. without being able to see more it doesn't look good. I am surprised they posted pics of the rust underneath. at least they are not trying to hide stuff, I don't think. the rust is not going to get better only worse. I would pass. highdesertranger

Like ranger said, I'd pass, I picked up a 93 G2500 Vandura Conversion for $500 from an older couple in much better shape, just have to be patient and wait for the right deal.

I've owned literally dozens of G-Series Chevys over the years... If I could find an '86 up here in that condition I would love to have it. The "rust" your seeing underneath is MINIMAL. While considered "unibody", all of those frame components are far thicker than any typical unibody car. I think the underbody looks great for its age, and thats why he did take photos of it. Take it home, pressure wash the bottom, then soak the rascal up with Fluid-Film. It will soak into all the nooks and crannies and give that nice old van another 30 years on the road.

Parts are easily found, dead cheap and reliable. The only G-series van I've ever hated was the one straight six powered one and the V-6 powered one. Way too little of an engine, and the mileage wasn't a stitch better. They have all been 16mpg max vans except in the mountains.

This particular one may or not be fuel injected..... for my use, I'd hope NOT because first of all, these vans did not get ANY better mileage injected (more power yes, but not mpg's), and second, any fuel injection system related failures always cost an arm and a leg these days whereas a good Quadrajet rebuild and a mechanical pump replacement will be under $150. Easy to work on too !

The frame rust puts me off, the body rust not so much. Check the rain gutters all the way around - these are highly prone to rust. He says "Captain's Chairs" but there are none, just standard (for the time) truck/van seats.
Worth looking at, but check it over very closely! Expect to put at least a grand into repairs and restoration.

Also those speedos if I'm not mistaken didn't have the 6th digit for the odometer so assume it's really 158 or even 258k..

I agree with Grummy, the rust is not all that bad, 58k? I would guess 158k. offer 1000 cash in hand.

You guys call that rust? Hes really looking for 1500 so you can most likely get it for 12 or 13.

Another thing about the early overdrive transmissions in the Chevy's is that they are more prone to trouble. They got it right about 89 or 90 I think but the earlier ones were prone to go out.

I bought my 91 Dodge for $500. Pay no more than $1,000. You will more than likely have to spend twice that rebuilding the almost 30 year old suspension and steering, not to mention the transmission. Rubber rots especially if neglected.

Then you will have to insulate and build the interior how you like it.

Personally I would look a little longer for the right van to come along.

DTFuqua said:
Another thing about the early overdrive transmissions in the Chevy's is that they are more prone to trouble. They got it right about 89 or 90 I think but the earlier ones were prone to go out.

Steering column shows to be a 3 speed. So it’s most likely a turbohydromatic 350 “C”.

“C” is last models of a long production run with a lockup converter.

Mr.LooRead said:
Steering column shows to be a 3 speed. So it’s most likely a turbohydromatic 350 “C”.
I agree, it's probably a "Turbo 350." Also i believe those years had throttle body injection that looked like a carburetor.
Throttle body injection along with Turbo 350 transmissions were both fairly durable and easy to maintain.
The rust looks to be only surface rust.
I would take a closer look at the Van. Those older Chevy vans can be nice, and I for one like them.