Online movie and book download sites

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43oswegatchie

Reaction score
I don't see any recent info posted on the best free or economical online sources for downloading books and movies to watch at a later time, possibly with no cell signal. Any recommendations on what the nomadic community is utilizing presently that may be helpful? Thanks!!!

Since I have amazon prime I use that for audio books and movies.

APrime is not free but if you use all the services provided it comes pretty close to free in my mind as we use Amazon Prime Household and split the cost

Ways to get APrime for free or nearly free

1. The standard free trial.
  2. Students can get 6 months for free.
  3. Take advantage of Amazon Household.
  4. Use Sprint Unlimited and get a free Amazon Prime membership.
  5. Get three months for free with American Express.
  6. Discount for folks on government assistance.

1) Sign up for BookBub. They'll send you regular emails with all kinds of cheap/free ebooks.

2) Do you currently have a library card and/or can you get one? Many libraries these days offer access to ebooks, music, and/or movies via a "check-out" system that is free to you. You borrow the title for a set number of days, just as you would a physical book or movie.

3) I BELIEVE - but don't know for certain - that you can download movies / TV shows for later viewing from Netflix.

One of the very best resources for free online movies and books is your local library. Just contact the library in your state of residence. With your library card number you can log into a vast array of free online services that let you watch lots of big name movies from previous years including some of the really old classes. There are also instructional videos to watch on all kinds of subjects. Plus of course Ebooks and Audio books. You can get the Ebooks in several variations including Kindle.

For instance if your library offers a book as a Kindle edition you sign into the online library interface and then choose the Kindle version and it gets downloaded to your Amazon Kindle device for a free read. Of course like any library book it is checked out for a specific amount of days.

Through the Seattle library I can have up to 25 titles checked out at one time, each one for 21 days. Of course I am unlikely to read that many books that quickly! Sometimes for really popular authors you well need to place a hold and wait your turn to check it out.

Another nice thing is in some areas such as the one I am currently calling home base not only can I belong to the Seattle Public library but I can also get library cards from several nearby county library and city library systems. That allows me an even wider range of books and media to choose from.

That way you can travel and still enjoy the lots of free books, including recent bestsellers and magazines, newspapers, videos and more while on the road with no late fees or fines.

maki2 said:
One of the very best resources for free online movies and books is your local library. Just contact the library in your state of residence....
Are the libraries there open? Which is the preferred E Reader, and can you get large print? Thanks-
-crofter

I use the website savethevideo.com to download videos from youtube.

There is also a phone app called tubemate. This lets you download videos in batches. So if you have a good wifi connection and want to download a lot of stuff the app works better than the website where you have to enter the link to each video manually.

With e readers you can change the font size. You will just have to turn the pages more often. IIRC, my library loans in epub format but I could be wrong. The digital format will be the deciding factor in reader but most readers do multiple formats. I mostly check out books on tape stuff. Great for traveling and you don't have to hold anything.

crofter said:
Are the libraries there open? Which is the preferred E Reader, and can you get large print? Thanks-
-crofter

AFAIK, no public libraries in Washington are open. But if you already have a card, that won't matter. They neither know nor care where you are physically.

I use Kindle format exclusively, so I can't tell you what others they offer. The Kindle app is free for both my Mac laptop and my iPhone and works very well. I would be VERY surprised if Amazon has left out the Windows world.

I “borrowed” a 5 year old Kindle from my mother who stopped using it. I was a book snob. Love the feel/smell of books. Only I got tired of carrying 30 lbs of books back and forth three times a week to the library where I might not find anything and I have to read every day. Reading helps me escape my chronic pain. I fell in love with the Kindle. You can get the Kindle app for anything like a tablet or phone but I use an actual Kindle. I even part with $9.99 a month for unlimited books and I can borrow from public libraries which are open again for checkout. I go someplace with free WiFi and download the ten books allowed at a time and that’s it. In California if you are a state resident you can get a library card from any city in the state. I have several. The beauty of library books is they will simply disappear off the device in two weeks so you are never late and you will never lose a book.

I like audiobooks. If you want to know how I get them pm me. The forum software will not allow me to post certain web sites.

NBC is advertising that their new Peacock streaming service will be free. It looks like it will be ad supported old TV shows. I think it's supposed to start in a few days.

I love Tubi it’s a free movie app works wonderfull very little commercials

Audio books, free to download and keep, no registration, no personal details.

The only drama is in a story.

https://librivox.org/
"Acoustical liberation of books in the public domain"

A lot of local libraries offer a service which allows you to download books/audiobooks for a three week period.  I’ve been using it for audiobooks that I download to a smart phone.  Then when traveling a long distance, I can connect my smart phone to my vehicle’s audio system as an AUX device.