On the road horror stories!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timoat

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm hitting the road in March, and I'd like to hear some of your worst experiences, from breakins, violence, robbery, scary stuff at night, etc, and how you dealt with the situation. We are very vulnerable in out little shells. Here in europe we have a big problem with break-ins at night, even with people sleeping in the vans. Especially in Spain and France.

Nah, things are peachy ! Nearly perfect.
Rainbows and unicorns all over the place !

I may drive over to the hills and pick up Forrest Fenn's treasure next !
wheels

I've never personally never had a problem and rarely hear of anything bad happening (only Slab City), I have mainly heard of generators being stolen, and tweakers stealing solar panels in the cities. Actual boondocking or camping, it is almost unheard of.

I've been up and down the East Coast for years (from Bangor, Maine to Miami) in my car so many times I was intimate with each and every pothole

Never had an issue. Even the weeks when I was sleeping in my car in the same spot every night....no problems.

20+ years in RV or van, female, solo, only issues I had were twice my unoccupied van was broken into in Baltimore and a Coleman lantern was swiped from my campsite - just outside Baltimore. That was in my first year and knock on wood I've had no issues of that nature since. Scariest thing out here for me is bad mechanics.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Once had a guy approach our camp about 11pm at night saying he needed a flashlight because of an emergency. We were in the tent going to sleep so I went out with a flashlight. Long story short, he was making some meth in a milk container(I didn't realize this at first, although I did see him stirring something furiously in the cut up milk jug) and had lost\forgot where he put a backpack. Could a been dangerous I guess, but everything turned out alright(for us, prob not him).

Other than that, no real dangerous people that I know of.

EDIT: corrected autocorrect

It always amuses me when newbies are scared shitless by "serial killers!!!" and "robbers!!!". It reminds me of newbie backpackers, who always pee their pants over "bears!!!" and "snakes!!!"

Living in a van is no more dangerous or unsafe than living in an apartment or motel room. The vast majority of people in the US go their entire lives without once ever needing to "defend themselves" from any sort of attack. Statistically, THE single most dangerous part of living in vehicle is---driving it. You are far more likely to be killed by a simple traffic accident than you are from a serial killer or robber.

In 2.5 years of dwelling, the only incident I've had was when a couple of dumbass teens bought a BB gun in a Walmart and decided to test it out in the parking lot using my van. They got the shock of their life when I poked my head out the door.

If you are wondering what to carry in your van to "protect yourself", I recommend two pistols, a shotgun, an AR-15, a machete, a baseball bat, and a roll of barbed wire. And as a last resort, a W-80 warhead with a 200KT yield--it's the only way to be sure.

Lenny: Got all the items except couldn't find the W-80 so I replaced it with a B2-B Stealth Bomber; is this okay?

Was hammock camping 2 summers ago in Yellowstone. Sometime after midnight a rain storm rolled through. Temps dropped to the 40's and we about froze to death. While the storm was going on we heard what we think was a bear wander by us. He didn't eat us so I figure that's good. Rode our motorcycles over 6000 miles on that trip and never had any issues with serial killers, psychos (except ourselves), etc. Met lots of nice people across the country though.

speedhighway46 said:
Lenny: Got all the items except couldn't find the W-80 so I replaced it with a B2-B Stealth Bomber; is this okay?

We all have to make compromises from time to time.

Every time these questions are asked I think over all of our years of fulltiming and can't come up with any bad incidents so I'd like to tell you not to worry about it but if you're aware of problems in the countries where you'll be traveling you'll have to take some precautions. Maybe better locks on your doors and windows? Scare lights? An airhorn?

I'm not particularly worried about it at all, I just want to hear some good scary and hairy stories.

I had my expensive Honda knock off generator stolen last winter. It was just outside my TT door and the thieves came into my camp and grabbed it in the dark. I was boondocking in Anza Borrego for the super bloom. The park ranger told me that all the publicity for the super bloom seemed to be attracting thieves from the big city. It caused me to have a medical emergency as that generator was the only way I had to run my nebulizer, and sometimes I can't breathe without it. So I returned to society and used shore power until I saved up enough money for a 12 volt nebulizer.

At the 2016 RTR I had some crazy gal and her methed out naked boyfriend with a machete knock on my TT door around midnight. From that I learned to not open my door. Someone else called the authorities and they were taken away.

Apparently I have all the fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok one scary story.  Was camping above Estes Park in CO with family including 3 young kids about 30 years ago,  About midnight hear a vehicle continually revving there engine.  Then footsteps and someone yelling, hey in the tent, we need to talk to you.  This continued for a few minutes and I decided I would be better out with them than in my tent with family.  There were 3 of them and obviously intoxicated.  It seems they went out to get more booze and when returning missed their campsite and tried to turn around in the road and got stuck.  The engine revving was one of them getting in the vehicle and the other 2 throwing a sleeping back under the tire that was spinning.  I asked which one was the most sober and had him get behind the wheel and put the vehicle in drive and keep his foot off the gas.  I then grabbed the bumper and lifter and pushed and the car just inched back on the road.  I watched them go to their spot and park the vehicle.  Once I was sure they were not coming in the tent the only thing scary was drunks behind the wheel.  40 years of camping and no other incident other than someone out of water.

I did have a moose chase me round and round my truck on the Kasiloff River when my son and I startled her walking back to the truck around 2 am when it was dusk.  Darn I found out my son was faster than I was.  That was interesting.

It is a lot safer out there and as mentioned taking prudent cautions and knowing where you are and what is around you is a good idea.

speedhighway46 said:

I suppose it'll do in a pinch.

;)

... adorable, fluffy, ferrel baby kittens can shred your had. ask me how I know ;)