Lessons I learned on short trips

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuliaAnne2018

Reaction score
About seven years ago, I was driving up north to see my dad. He at the time lived about 4hrs from me. In my defense, it was the first time in 6yrs I had a halfway decent vehicle and was tired of not being able to see my sisters. (Things were not at all good for me fiancially then.)

I took a chance after doing so much as checking my oil -- and besides I took the car on a couple of 60-mile trips before. I figured I'd be fine.

I made it to about an hour to my destination before my battery light came on.

I wasn't sure if it was the alternator or battery, but I knew whatever I do, do not stop. :)

And oh...I almost made it to the nearest truck stop but died on the exit ramp. :(. It was too dangerous for me to try and push it off the ramp.

Too bad I didn't make it to the truck stop but I still thank my higher power for looking out for me. I could have stalled anywhere.

I hardly had any money left and had to do work on my computer and request money. I was stuck there for three days until I had the $80 I needed to earn to buy the battery/get back home and get someone to come and help me. Not sure why my dad wouldn't come but later found out he had bad eyesight.

(My mom would have, but I didn't want to tell her how far I went with the car because I was advised not to take it on long trips and embarrassed I stalled.)

The worst part is not wanting to sleep in my car because it was on the ramp but the grass was wet and uncomfortable to lay on. Even though it was August, it was only about 40 degrees at night.

I stayed up all night. And was desperate for sleep so I slept in my car for a while in the morning. Nothing bad happened, but it was scary because of where it stalled. Good thing they never towed it yet like the police said they might.

After I had the new battery, however, the car ran awesome. So then I drove it all the way home. And took another 4-hr trip which went better but I was also a little more prepared.

Thank goodness the second time I had AAA. We somehow ran out of gas or something happened while my dad and me were on the road at night.

It was an unually cold night for March this time. Only about 24 degrees.

I locked my keys in the trunk and my spare was damaged so had to call AA a 2nd time.

These are probably not as bad as other stories, and these are not the only ones.

Sent from my RS500 using Tapatalk

I have been a faithful AAA member since 2007 when I wised up and got the service.  I got the RV plus platinum.  They will tow me up to 200 miles and I get 4 service calls in a year.  I have used it every year, and one year I used all 4 service calls (starter problem).  When you drive older vehicles like I do, it's kind of a real nice thing.  Glad you found it!  It pays for itself if you use it only once.

You did really well for not being used to sleeping in the car.  I know what it feels like to dread what is wrong with the rig.  It is scary.  But you did great and you did indeed learn some lessons from the experience.

I have slept in my car and/or took naps in it before. It was just scary being on the highway. Especially stalled on an exit ramp. But by morning I was so tired I slept in it anyway for at least a couple of hours.

The 2nd night was in the parking lot of the truck stop, so that was nice. Actually, I can't remember but I think the mechanic let me sleep in the car even though I didn't have the money to fix it yet. I didn't have $ til the following day.

It was 7 years ago sorry. LOL Forgot details.

The funny thing is, I love WI but I HATE trying to sleep in my car when it's below 50 degrees. TOO D--- cold. Even worse when below 32 degrees.

That is an issue I need to resolve asap. Before temps drop below freezing at night here.

Ok, so I admit that maybe the times I slept in cold weather, I wasn't prepared.

Not enough blankets for one.

Yah know, if I ever get my hands on another vintage goose down coat, that thing kept me warm in 40-below temps.

But that was when I was on an outdoor job that required walking.

I don't have a clue how to sleep in weather that cold.
I'll probably have to fly south for the winter along with the birds.

I don't think I'd survive a WI winter in any vehicle. Or tent.

But fall and spring here are the best, and these are the best times of the year to get my feet wet with mobile living.

So I was going to do this til the end of October.

I hope by then I will know where to go.

I lived a sheltered life. In a city where as I said in another post a tornado has not touched down in decades, and no hurricanes, no floods more than maybe 2-3 inches...

No forest fire for like 100 years...

But the d--- cold...

I too drive old vehicles, have reconsidered my AAA membership over the years, always kept it.  Not needed it often but when I did the most positive thought was the tow truck outfit would at least have their seal of approval, whereas calling just any one when the stranded place might be anywhere might not only mean effectively filling out a blank check but being open to any level of competence (or lack of) and of any character (or lack of).  If any of the negative scenarios don't happen then of course I would have saved money over the years.  If I can afford it will keep AAA in the future.

I was pleasantly surprised at the excellent service by AAA. Even in the middle of the night, they showed up (not as fast as during the day but) faster than I expected.

AAA doesn't operate everywhere. I have called in my town, 30k people, and was told they only had one guy and he was on vacation.

I still kept it because it's better to have it than not to have it. Just trying to say ... don't assume you're anywhere even close to safe once you have AAA. You're just safe(r). Hopefully.

Wow, I didn't know that.  I expected if I get stuck somewhere, anywhere that they'll come out and get me.  I use it at least once a year, and so far no problems getting service.  It could be my location too.  I thought they MUST send someone, even if they have to go summon someone from another town.  Good to know.