On the Road Cookbooks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbuelaLoca

Reaction score
In my efforts to "downsize" or basically get rid of everything that won't fit in the van, I sorted through my cookbooks (which were not stored with my library) and found these three that seemed interesting:

RoadCookbooks.jpg

The "Truck Stop Cookbook" is actually recipes used by truck stops all over the country... there are lots of trucking stories and facts and such in this book as well, so I will be keeping it even though I probably won't be able to adapt many of the recipes (some are for 50 servings!)

TSCRecipe.jpg

The "Easy Foil Recipes" book is a variety of oven and grill recipes. I'm not really a "grill" kind of cook, so I may have to give this one to my son-in-law who is!

EFRRecipe.jpg

But this book, "Cooking on the Go" may be just the ticket!! Janet Groene 'brings years of stove-top, iceless enlightenment to breakfast, lunch and dinner tables, not only for cruising and racing boats, but for RVs and tent encampments as well.'

COTGRecipe.jpg

I think I need to go through some of my old cookbooks about cooking from scratch before I give them all away. Do you all have any favorite cookbooks for cooking in your vehicles??

Attachments

• RoadCookbooks.jpg
    RoadCookbooks.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 15
  • COTGRecipe.jpg
    COTGRecipe.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 13
  • EFRRecipe.jpg
    EFRRecipe.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 13
  • TSCRecipe.jpg
    TSCRecipe.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 13
I took all my recipes (stored in photo albums) and either scanned them in or typed them out.

They are sorted in to file folders and stored on a stick.

Well except for the ones that didn't make it over to the stick and got lost when my last laptop suffered a sudden and total death... :rolleyes:

Were they mostly handed down recipes, recipes from a particular book you liked, that sort of thing? I love Rachael Ray recipes, but I gave the two cookbooks of hers away to a young lady wanting to impress her partner! I can always find those online anyway... the old "family favorites" from those community cookbooks are harder to find, but I will definitely take pics and put them online somewhere!!

I collected recipes for decades!

I started organizing all the cut outs from newspapers, hand me downs, loose recipes in to file folders first and then started putting them in to the older style photo albums - each page had a sticky mylar type plastic. When I sold my house in '85 and moved stateside I handed the whole thing over to the youngest son. He moved west and they ended up stored at my parents cottage so I reclaimed them a decade ago when I moved back to Ontario.

I finally weeded them down to only the ones that I used regularly and discarded the rest. I probably only have a couple of hundred on the stick but I know if I ever need something else I can now use google.... :D

Those cookbooks sound like keepers.   One set I used to look to were the "Cooking USA" on the Nashville channel on Cable.   They traveled the USA gathering Civic League, Church, 4H, FFA, etc cookbooks and selecting the best of the best for the TV show and would compile them in their own cookbooks.  Stove Top Stuffing was the sponsor then and Merle Ellis was the host of the show.  Most of those recipes were handed down through families.

They originally sold for $10 bucks each and there were many volumes of them.

45b78e84cd05de0152328eeb11ca101c.jpg

Optimistic Paranoid said:
You want an On The Road Cookbook?  How about cooking on your hot engine while you drive?

I'm gonna buy it! My favorite part of the page on amazon was the "Customers who bought this item also bought" section. However, the peek inside did not reveal any actual recipes so I googled "sample recipes from manifold destiny" and this site came up:

http://www.wisebread.com/cooking-great-meals-with-your-car-engine-the-heat-is-on

I'm not sure I'd make any of those except the eggs at the end, but I'm definitely intrigued!!! Thanks for the suggestion!

AbuelaLoca said:
I'm gonna buy it! My favorite part of the page on amazon was the "Customers who bought this item also bought" section. However, the peek inside did not reveal any actual recipes so I googled "sample recipes from manifold destiny" and this site came up:

http://www.wisebread.com/cooking-great-meals-with-your-car-engine-the-heat-is-on

I'm not sure I'd make any of those except the eggs at the end, but I'm definitely intrigued!!! Thanks for the suggestion!

If you get good at it, you can declare yourself to be an EXPERT and give a talk/demonstration at the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous every year . . .

I wouldn't want to cook on my engine, but I'm curious enough to ask this: HOW do you hold it in place?

Verrrrrrrry Carefully!

My only worry is what if the food catches fire????
OH , deep frying not on the list ,,,,got it !

TrainChaser said:
I wouldn't want to cook on my engine, but I'm curious enough to ask this:  HOW do you hold it in place?

I haven't read the cookbook, and I'm not sure how you would do it on modern engines, but in the old days the straight six engines were preferred for this.  The food was carefully wrapped in heavy aluminum foil, it would be set on top of the exhaust manifold, and bailing wire would secure it in place.  At least that's what I've read.

This is according to wikihow:

"Secure the food package on the engine. Assuming the package is not too high to fit in the cooking area, place it on the engine. If it was lower than the test ball, crumple up a little foil to lay on top of the package. You don't want the food moving from side to side, either, so make sure it's a snug fit all around. You can do this either by surrounding it with additional crumpled foil pieces or by tying it down. Some people will ease the food package under conveniently located rubber hoses, for example, or you can use wire to tie the food down. Use common sense when securing the food. Avoid placing it near moving parts, and don't strain hoses by trying to force the package under them. If you're going to use wire, use baling wire rather than trying to use the wires that are already in your engine compartment."

Not sure about the cookbook yet... this sounds kind of dangerous AND... do I have to get in the doghouse? Cuz that's probably not going to happen!

we used to this all the time on the ranch. wrap it up real good with aluminum foil place on the manifold and in a little while hot food. now if you have a Model A, http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/manifold-cooker . or a more universal cooker, http://www.firstplaceparts.com/hot-pot-snowmobile-food-warmer.html . that last one is marketed for snowmobiles but works on bikes and any vehicle that you can clamp it to the exhaust. it's true none of the options is very good for a van because of access. highdesertranger

Oh my goodness, I love those!! Especially the manifold cooker... Good thing I'm downsizing... I'd own ALL of it.

Haha, I can't even see the engine on the GMC let alone get something down there to cook!

The older engines are great for manifold cooking, heck I could cook a turkey on some of them I've owned in the past. Today's newer engines are crammed in to the engine compartment and then they add all the auxiliary equipment like A/C.

Yes , it's all changing in regards to space in an engine compartment for sure !

You could cook Thanksgiving dinner on an old Buick straight-8.