On-going mechanical issues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well.. here is the update.

Yesterday morning I was towed back to the mechanic. It didn't start. It cranks and cranks...but the spark just doesn't happen. Now, there is a spark at the coil. The control module tested good. The new distributor tested good. The new fuel pump tested good..holding pressure, etc. new battery, new battery cable.
The cat. Converter is new..tested good. After much scratching of heads...the mechanic decided to take it all out and start over. When he did that, he was moving some part of the wiring harness associated with the distributor, when the RV started! Wow. At first he thought that someone was playing a joke on him. He wiggled that bundle of wires and tried it again...no start. Ah ha! Found it.

When he unwrapped the elec. tape he found the wires had been wrapped very tightly, and the insulation had worn off the wires, sometimes causing them to short together. He replace that entire section of wires... reassembled everything. RV started right up. He knows better. Waited 30 minutes again...started up. Waited, again started. After 4 hours..started up.
Took it for a drive...after one block the entire electric system just completely cut out. The same problem I had last Tuesday when I drove it. It started right up...drove it a couple miles...then the electric system cut out again. Twice more before getting back to the shop.

So, he I thought maybe the ignition switch? Opened the steering column up...replaced the switch at no charge to me. (Oh..that new fuel pump was put it at no charge to me). Still the same problem. It starts right up..but cuts out randomly.

He thinks it needs a new master computer. I agree.
I saw this same problem with my Toyota...needs a new master computer. Fortunately, because it is so old...there is an after market for this..and only $135! Unfortunately, it will be a week before it will arrive...has to order from NY.

So.. I am going to drive this beast down to Delta where the paint job will be done. A whole week of doing nothing is just asking too much. I know it will be a slow trip. But..I am going to try it anyway. The master computer is right under the dash...it is an easy replace...so even if I get stranded and towed to Delta.....at least I get the paint done instead of twiddling my thumbs for another week.

I realize I got very lucky with this one. Electrical problems are a bear to solve. This was luck..good, for a change.
None of my many problems over the last 4 weeks could have been prevented, and nothing the mechanic did was anything other than the best anyone could have done. (How many mechanics make house calls?).
This shop has been very good to me. They have really knocked themselves out to fix all these issues. I would recommend them to anyone! SImpson Brothers, in Grand Junction, CO.

ok that's pretty silly. that is obviously a ground short or more general shorting. if it had gone bad in one section it's probably bad in other sections.

it does fine until you drive it...i.e. its being shuffled around and shorting out

As said, you're getting volts on ground. As in, something with a positive wire is shorting to ground.
I agree with Bardo. Finding that wire bundle means there's likely more wrong.
A mechanic who will keep poking for free/cheap is nice but throwing parts at a vehicle isn't how you fix one.

Well.. I know that this exact symptom was caused by the failure of the master computer in my car.

That is certainly the thing to deal with next.

Ok..I drove it to Delta this morning.

It shut off on me about 60 times...but never failed to start right up

The mechanic told me last night that he did spend the time to chase all the wires under the hood, and check them all out.   What a monster job!

He and I are agreeed this is the master computer.   Like I said..I had these exact symptoms with me car...

You know how this forum works. I can see your problem from my seat. Obviously, it has to be the left front tire. My van had the same thing until I got a new tire. Humor, to help your bad day improve.

Well...at this point I am going to make progress on that Van if I have to have it towed to each place!

Right now it is in Delta to get painted. Even if the blasted thing cannot make it back to Grand Junction...I will struggle with it if I have to (like this morning)... but I will continue to get work done on it, I lost almost an entire month of work.....time to get moving!

After this ,you will be well prepared for whatever may happen out on the road.
(Hopefully karma will smile upon you for many many miles ,,, you got it coming !)

Kat,

Delta?  Grand Junction?  Holy whatever.  I've been in Cedaredge all summer.  Leaving here Tuesday to head back to Texas.

Keeping my fingers crossed for your RV.

Best wishes.

So the big question that is begging to be asked of you RK, if you had to do it all over again, knowing what you know now, would or what would you do differently?
Alternatives for the same cost and less trouble?
The price we pay for love?

Having rebuilt some muscle cars, played around mechanically, you learn a few things. Like 60s - 70s and older are all mechanical and mostly easily repaired, rebuilt and thus their popularity. Old, 80s and up means electronics, cost and repair nightmares and a serious hurtin on your wallet, which could have been spent on your travels.