Old lurker, new member

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37446

Reaction score
Hi to all,

I have Guest viewed off and on for well over a year, having read "Tips and Tricks" as well as hundreds of threads, watched Bobs old and now new videos, as well as Utube vids from other members and non-members about van dwelling or other pertinent topics. I'm currently up in the PNW and Canada (BC) but spend about 6 months down in Phoenix.

While not currently in a mobile dwelling, I am wanting to get back into one within a year.
I've had past experience living in a travel trailer for a year and have owned/used truck campers and class C's in the past, so am familiar with those ways of traveling and residing.  I have to city dwell for the foreseeable future so my preferred ex-UHaul or Penske 10-14' box truck vehicle will not be what I use.

Turning 62 this year I'm realizing that a lot of what was considered "the right thing to do" with life was just being a lemming, and I dont want to go over the proverbial cliff like the rest of them.  After another year of working I should have enough of a pension to scrimp by with (appx $1K a month before taxes, medical and other expenses).

I will search locally (within 200 miles), in the SW to find a rust-free mid-top (tv top) conversion van, preferably GM based Express or Savanah from 96 to 2003, or a pre modular engined Ford, (1992-1995) so that I can have the full frame vs. the Dodge and G20 unibody.  Sadly they all seem to be 1/2 ton so all the heavy conversion chairs and sofa bed will have to be jettisoned to save room and weight. As I'm no mechanic I will get it looked over, but I can see rust and the obvious flaws, as well as I know the reputation of most drivetrains that were used. I dont care for Dodge but that 318 is a workhorse engine!  Whatever it is will have a 5.7 liter sized engine, be it Ford or GM.

I hope to install 2-300 watts of flexible rooftop solar, a 36-45 cu ft compressor fridg, 2 Costco bought GC batteries, and either a CTEK 12v to 12v charger or a large cabled continuous duty solenoid battery charging system.  I am trying to determine if I can give up the microwave and coffeemaker habit from the S&B life, as that will probably require a 1200-1500 watt MSW or perhaps PSW inverter and possibly a second set of GC's, then requiring more solar to get the minimum 1:1 charging amp ratio.  All that extra expense for a rewarmed cup of coffee or quickly zapping some soup instead of taking the time to cook it on the already purchased 2 burner propane camp stove...  decisions. :huh:

I've read enough that I feel I dont need a Mr. Buddy 4000/9000 BTU heater as I plan to follow the 50-90 temperature zone when possible, and to use the admittedly fire hazard camp stove for heating when needed.  Cooling will be the much used FF roof mounted fan and some 12v portable units inside. No extra van insulation (not a cargo) so other than the windows, no fuss with that. Just making proper Reflectix based, fabric covered or foam core window covers for the bigger conversion (oddly cut) glass will be challenge enough.

A YMCA of Planet Fitness gym membership will have to suffice for showers, and a portable water system like Ive seen in a few videos will have to take care of the rest.  A cassette toilet or Luggable Loo bucket for the other necessity.

Anyway, I'm not a total newbie but am not quite ready to re-enter houselessness. For a variety of personal reasons Ive moved a lot so I know how to let go of possessions. No "mate" attachment so that's not an issue, neither are pets. Hope to keep it that way too.

Will try to follow others journeys, "to each their own" as long as you realize that your happiness isn't a license to do wrong to others or the land you temporarily occupy.

Bye for now.

Welcome to the forum. Seems you have it pretty well mapped out what you are going to do. Lots of good information on here and many good people.

Rob

Thanks Gunny. I'm a 22 yr Army Reserves and NG retiree (from 1973-1995, the source of the pension) so I appreciate your USMC service.

No, you don't have to give up your coffee! I was addicted to my Keurig coffee. But, I have found a wonderful replacement. The coffee is as good or better than the Keurig. I bought it on Amazon, I haven't figured how to post a link yet but it is:

Stanley Camp 32oz Press coffeemaker

So, instead of using my watts on coffee, I'll use it on other stuff, including my 310 watt Panasonic rice cooker. Did you know you can make bread, or even lasagna in a rice machine?

After I make the coffee, I just pour it into a small saucepan with the milk and give it a quick heat on the stove, then pour into my insulated cup.. I HATE cold coffee! That was my biggest concern. Making coffee without a coffee machine or microwave is easy, making coffee and keeping it hot afterwards was the challenge for my small brain.

Ted

Welcome to the CRVL forums. Twih! you seem to have a good handle on the mobile life. I hope you'll plan to attend the RTR. No better place to start and it may fit in with your time-line

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

WalkaboutTed said:
No, you don't have to give up your coffee!  I was addicted to my Keurig coffee. But, I have found a wonderful replacement. The coffee is as good or better than the Keurig.  I bought it on Amazon, I haven't figured how to post a link yet but it is:

Stanley Camp 32oz Press coffeemaker

So, instead of using my watts on coffee, I'll use it on other stuff, including my 310 watt Panasonic rice cooker. Did you know you can make bread, or even lasagna in a rice machine?

After I make the coffee, I just pour it into a small saucepan with the milk and give it a quick heat on the stove, then pour into my insulated cup.. I HATE cold coffee!  That was my biggest concern. Making coffee without a coffee machine or microwave is easy, making coffee and keeping it hot afterwards was the challenge for my small brain.

Ted

Thanks Ted for that information.  I've read a bit about using alternative methods for "cold press", "French press", using a percolator, the (I think) Mr. Coffee that sits on the camp stove, those kinds of things. So your option is one more to consider.  :)

It sounds like you may not use a microwave but you do use a (lower wattage) rice cooker.  I love rice and had not thought of a rice cooker, though I have owned one or two. I'm not much of a cook, so it has to be simple for me (like a rice cooker is).

What kind of inverter do you use?  I'd think a rice cooker could need a 500-700 watt MSW, that's a much less expensive option than what I thought I'd have to get.

As I've read a lot of forum information in the past, it never ceases to amaze me how willing to help out newbies to the vandwelling world most are.  Really appreciate your input!  :rolleyes:

cyndi said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums. Twih! you seem to have a good handle on the mobile life. I hope you'll plan to attend the RTR. No better place to start and it may fit in with your time-line

Thanks, I might just make one (RTR) sometime, when I get started. I dont want to wait a full year to start but right now I have to. I will have lots of planning done, my years in the military (Reserves) taught me about planning before you just "leap".

Hiya This World isn't Home. Like others have said, sounds like you got stuff pegged. Best of luck on your adventures, and if it seems to easy, handicap yourself and get a mate...kidding! :cool:

WabbitHiya This World isn't Home. Like others have said, sounds like you got stuff pegged. Best of luck on your adventures, and if it seems to easy, handicap yourself and get a mate...kidding! :cool:

Ha ha, I had 32 sorrowfull years of that.  No more.

I have had time to read a lot on here (your posts included) and learned a lot, mostly learned that I know way less than I thought about full timing in a van.

[quote pid='274622' dateline='1490378707']
All that extra expense for a rewarmed cup of coffee or quickly zapping some soup instead of taking the time to cook it on the already purchased 2 burner propane camp stove...  decisions. :huh:

[/quote]

A good way to keep from having to reheat coffee is to keep it warm.  I learned from my grandfather to use a thermos to keep coffee hot for a day or two.  I have a Stanley thermos that holds an entire pot of coffee and keeps it hot.  It's record so far is three days before it becomes iced coffee material.  I plan to use a coleman propane coffee maker.  I will chuck almost anything in order to have my coffee pot with me. 

regards and a warm welcome from a self confessed caffeine addict.

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

Welcome!

Regarding cooking rice, I did a quick search to find the info Brent had in his blog about a 12V mini rice cooker (2 cup size). He travels in his Prius and you'd want to scroll down to the questions and comments (he gives details on the wiring that is best, etc.).

The initial blog is at:

http://macaloney.blogspot.com/2016/11/12-volt-rice-cooker-for-prius-campervan.html

In later blogs he sometimes mentions how much he likes using the tiny cooker for rice and other things.

Welcome.
Thanks for serving in the USMC from a retired Army paratrooper .

Bravo on your statement, "Your happiness isn't a license to do wrong to others or the land you temporarily occupy."

For coffee, consider a drip filter from REI ($6.95). It works by pouring a cup of boiling water into a plastic cone/funnel which then drips through a small "coffee chamber" and then, directly into your cup. Makes ONE cup of decent drip coffee at a time. All ya gotta do is heat one cup of water (by the method of your choice) and your all set. Easy to clean and store, no filters to buy. Heck...I carried one in my Army rucksack!

Link:
https://www.rei.com/product/401153/one-cup-coffee-maker
45fee7c9-96c8-44fe-9bdf-cc9650ad7094

Get out there and have some fun!

Happy Trails!
Chuck

Welcome! Totally understand about the "age" thing being 62 myself! The year will go by quickly as you speed toward your goal!

My coffee making protocol is so convoluted because it's more like cafe con leche. If I just poured the hot coffee into the amount of milk I use, it is lukewarm at best. In S&B, I can nuke it to reheat it, but without the microwave, I have to reheat the mixture using another heat source that is not the coffee pot. Hence the need for the saucepan. I lived in Miami for too long.

And I HATE cold cafe con leche!

¡Odio el cafe con leche frio!

WriterMs said:
Welcome!  

Regarding cooking rice, I did a quick search to find the info Brent had in his blog about a 12V mini rice cooker (2 cup size). He travels in his Prius and you'd want to scroll down to the questions and comments (he gives details on the wiring that is best, etc.).

The initial blog is at:

http://macaloney.blogspot.com/2016/11/12-volt-rice-cooker-for-prius-campervan.html

In later blogs he sometimes mentions how much he likes using the tiny cooker for rice and other things.
Thanks so much for that, as a fellow Prius owner, I related to a lot of what he said. I sent him a comment and will try out the rice cooker when I find it. You certainly went above and beyond for me, thus the reputation plus up!  :D

Qdini said:
Welcome.
Thanks for serving in the USMC from a retired Army paratrooper .

Bravo on your statement, "Your happiness isn't a license to do wrong to others or the land you temporarily occupy."

For coffee, consider a drip filter from REI ($6.95). It works by pouring a cup of boiling water into a plastic cone/funnel which then drips through a small "coffee chamber" and then, directly into your cup. Makes ONE cup of decent drip coffee at a time. All ya gotta do is heat one cup of water (by the method of your choice) and your all set. Easy to clean and store, no filters to buy. Heck...I carried one in my Army rucksack!

Link:
https://www.rei.com/product/401153/one-cup-coffee-maker
45fee7c9-96c8-44fe-9bdf-cc9650ad7094

Get out there and have some fun!

Happy Trails!
Chuck

Appreciate the filter recommendation. I currently use a Malita brand, same style but its rigid (I haven't tried the collapsible silicone ones yet). I think the Malita or your REI drip work great, my biggest issue is even using near boiling water from a convenience store "red" spout, it gets cooler just going thru and dripping, but that's not a major drawback.

Correction on your post info, I am not ex-USMC, that's Gunny.

I also appreciate your usage of the "Thanks" button. I see that you have found it to be a useful way to let others know that the information they have given is worthwhile. I find it strange that fewer people do that. 

Another thing is the "reputation" button, though that is to be used a lot more carefully.

"Drive on" from a retired chairborne career reservist, but at least my son had 13 jumps as a 7 year AD soldier. Then he broke his back on a particularly bad landing...  :(