OK considering a solar setup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, just noticed your other question. You need a circuit breaker between the contoller and the batteries, 30 amp should do it unless you go really big. Remember the mppt will have increased the amperage going into the batteries. So if you have 300 watts on the roof and an mppt controller, you divide by 12, which means you have 25 amps going into the battery. <br /><br />Nearly all TCs are set up to charge the house battery off of the starting battery. If that is true then the solar panels would be charging the starting battery when the key was on, but not when the key was off. Again, that is generally true but you should make sure it is true for your specific setup. Bob

akrvbob said:
<br />I would NOT mount a controller outside the TC. They aren't fragile, but that would be abusive. By far the best deal on a high amp controller is the BZ 500 mppt controller by BZ products. Solar Mike at the Slabs is using one to operate his office. I have another friend with one and 410 watts and has been very happy with it.&nbsp; Bob
<br /><br />Everyone on the wind-sun forum claims the BZ stuff is crap...I have no idea, I have never used them (or the Morningstar for that matter) but I would look around for opinions before making a final choice.

Thanks Bob. Home Depot has a kyOcera 250 watt for 399. More than the one you listed, but I'm hoping they'll send it to the lOcal store and not have to pay shipping. Probably not, but it's worth a shot.

I Aldo noticed the Bz500 controller, and wondered why it was a hundred dollars cheaper than the 250 ... Something different about the design I'm missing.

Appreciate the site recommendation. First step is to upgrade to a 200ah AGM battery. Then give myself more time to research and shop the other components

Bob

And thanks for the TC info. I had ass/u/med an isolator until yesterday. Could have caused me a problem one day... The camper was accessing the truck batteries and the ignition was not turned on.