Oil me! Said the Tinman. Info and data on motor oil

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Uptown - LOL, sure.
ANY unsupported filter material based filter will cause oil pressure problems.
I don't care what brand it is. I bring up Fram because what you buy in autozone is unsupported filter material.
If you don't want to believe that you can consult the countless internet threads on it.
Or you can just not believe it WITHOUT researching and go about your day.
Doesn't really matter to me. I don't have to rely on your rig or pay your repair bills.
As for me, and many others on here, I will not recommend to others garbage for their rig.

I started this thread to share info on oils with one of the best informative, tested, independent oil info I had found online. And to share this 3rd party info with all on here.
Reviving this.
Recently came across this YouTube channel where oils were tested and compared. Once again, posted to share with everyone in that it could be beneficial when making decisions on the myriad of choices, marketing and opinions.

Project Farm YouTube channel.

His top two oils were Amsoil and Pennzoil synthetics.

He also has many other tests on topics from glues to rust penetrating oils that many may find interesting.
Check him out.
Note: I am not affiliated and do not benefit in anyway
From this.

The Tin man said "oil can" not oil me ;)

I guess the type of oil and filters you use depends on which country you live in and time of year.

I owner operate 6 trucks, biggest being a class 8 semi. smallest a 4.5T flatbed.
In summer....
5 of them (4 stroke diesels) run 20W 60 Penrite full mineral oils and Baldwin filters
the other one is a 2 stroke Detroit diesel running 40 weight mineral oil and Baldwin filters year round. Currently being restored.
In winter...
 15W 40 Penrite for the 5, 4 strokes.

On older vehicles running a heavier weight oil in Summer adds a little further protection to internal moving parts particularly at highway speeds, loaded whether being a motorhome, van or 5th wheel tow tug.

I reckon Penrite wouldn't be a household name there.

Since I still live in a sticks and bricks doing my own oil changes frequently is easy and convenient.

There may be some data out there to support my theory, not sure...

If you do frequent oil changes the brand of oil isn't important as long as you're not using a generic low end sub standard oil.

I do not believe in doing long oil change intervals despite modern oil quality claims and testing.

I don't care if you are using Mobil 1, change it after 5000 miles and you can feel and hear your engine run smoother.
Regardless of oil break down results, if a smoother running engine doesn't mean less wear and tear for you, than disregard what I've said.

Any modern engine that receives basic maintenance should have a decent lifespan, but running "fresher" oil is going to increase that significantly.

no Synthetic for me just basic oil. have used 4 stroke motorcycle oil in car,truck engines also.
50 years as a mechanic and 38 years pro level racing dirt bikes.

My 2016 Ford V8 has just passed the 50000 mileage mark. I have purchased my own oil and filter and paid $20.00 for Walmart Auto Centers to change my oil and filter. This way I don't get dirty and they will dispose of the waste oil and filter. It's been a year and no problems.
I use Quaker State 5W-30 Full Synthetic and a MotorCraft filter. My choice of filter is because the engine was designed with a Ford filter so why not use a Ford filter.
My choice of oil is because I believe today's synthetic oils come with additives like detergents that help to keep my engine clean. I couple that with Top Tier gasoline like from Arco, Chevron and 76 which also have detergents to help keep my engine clean.
I do not want to debate oils and filters as oil is oil and manufacturers of engine design them with their filters. If they were to fail in their designs, it would put them out of business.
I'm familiar with Bob the oil guy and his tests and he provides an in depth analysis the average consumer doesn't care to read.
Many owners manuals list the pertinent information in regards to type of oil, duration in changes, ect. And that is good enough for me.

I don't think any auto manufacturer wants your engine to last 250,000+ miles. Bad for business if you sell new cars...

This is part of the reason I don't believe in pushing the oil change interval to the maximum. Sure I could be overdoing it, but oil changes area cheap insurance. I've never done the math, but I notice a slight change in fuel economy from a fresh oil change compared to used oil that is due for a change.

Just my simple opinion vs. the millions of experts on the web. Just remember the majority of oil breakdown studies are paid for by someone...

2000 ford f150 pu. changed oil every 3000 miles . I use castor oil and any good grade filter. 360,000 miles and no problems and still don't burn any oil.

Project farm YouTube channel has recently added some videos which will be of interest to the mechanically minded. 
Highly recommended as his testing is similar in depth and detail to what Consumer Reports would do. :thumbsup:

Costco Kirkland brand synthetic oil 2*5l $25 tests equal to Walmart super tech 2*5l $35. In his opinion, probably same oil.

Air filter brand comparisons

Check out his channel for useful comparisons and actual tests on grease, drill bits, glue and more.