Oil me! Said the Tinman. Info and data on motor oil

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minivanmotoman

Reaction score
The oil argument, er debate, ummm discussion. Everyone has their preferences and biases because their cars supposedly run forever and it works for them. Their maintenance? or just simply great design, engineering, materials, machining and engine assembly? 
I like to make my decisions on realistic data. Oil to keep the engine running and lubricated is important. But where to get unbiased, fact based data and information on which is best? Not readily found.

Back in the 80s, Consumer Reports tested motor oils by running them in NYC taxi cabs, running them for like 50k miles and then tearing down the engines to inspect for wear. Or something like that. What I do recall for sure was that the top 4 were judged effective and similar- Castrol, Quaker Stats, Pennzoil and Valvoline. Couldn't go wrong with any and buy upon price. Great, did that. All is good in the world. But times and things change since then. 
So what is the reality today?
I was digging and reading online on this subject. Bobistheoilguy seemed to give good info but then discredited by others. Lots of snake oil, hype, bias and bs all over the Internet.
Then stumbled upon this long, detailed, researched info online from a drag racer and engine builder. He had done independent tests, had data results and seemed credible. Much better than anything I had seen online since CR in the 80s.

Check it out for yourself, but it is a long read.
Quick answer? Of the top 10 rated oils, most being Mobil 1 synthetic brand, the best and cheapest oil value, protection/cost wise, turned out to be Valvoline's synthetic blend. It  performed better than many higher priced synthetic brands. Might be the best choice for our mostly used vehicles of recent vintage.
Synthetic has really come down in price but there are different types now. 
Read the article and become advised. Good info on oil weight selection and importance.
If anyone has other, newer, better or more comprehensive info, would be great to hear about.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...sg=AFQjCNFYt4calgjDmBH0yklKxkOlqun8nw&ampcf=1

Should add specifically:
Valvoline Maxlife High Mileage 5w-20 Synthetic blend ( red bottle )rated better than many other full synthetics and cheaper. It is the same cost or not much more than conventional oils. Better oil, same cost, best performance. Win win win.  :D

there are differences in additives. Here's a good example of the mercedez F1 engine development.

you cant run car oil in a motorcycle because it has a wet clutch. Top fuel dragsters will blow up without special oils due to G-forces.

^^^ So true about the additives. Problem is petrochemical research is complex and varied, and beyond most of us. And only marketing hype generalizations is all that we have to go on.
So you're at Walmart with so many choices, which do you choose? This article helped.

There are also numerous youtube videos on the topic of oil filter quality where they cut them open to assess. Good to know. 

But for the average person not caring to do their own oil change, the mess and disposal, Walmart oil change special at $19.99 is hard to beat.

those el cheapo oil changes use the cheapest oil and filter available. do you also buy the cheapest pizza available? highdesertranger

^^^ lol (I'd give up coffee for a good oil change. lol)

Now let's talk filters -- not coffee filters. lmao (purolator is my choice)

^^^ OK, oil filters. No one jumped on that. Lol.
Would be great if you added what you knew CTTW.
All I know is that Fram base model is not great and not recommended from the YouTube cutup videos.
 The Purolator One have a great reputation as one of the best, but not easy to find and that reputation is maybe outdated? Read some info awhile ago, so have to see if I can find any links of data.

for me it's Wix only. FYI, Wix is the same as Napa Gold, as Wix makes them for Napa. highdesertranger

I do know many people who exceed manufacturers recommended oil change intervals with the most expensive oil they can find in a magazine article or forum posting.
They trade in their vehicles every two or four years.

I usually change my oil and filter before a summer of driving in the heat, to get rid of the moisture that may have built up in the crankcase over the winter. I try to change it before winter to a lighter grade for when its cold most the time.

I have never had an engine fail because of bearing or piston ring wear on my watch.

I'll qualify that... If I had an engine in a vehicle I wanted to run over 500k miles I would be more enthusiastic about oil changes.
wheels

Can't tell ya how many vehicles I've seen with crap oil pressure caused purely by crap oil filters.
Quick lube places and people thinking they are buying good with Fram are the big issues.
Wix and Napa Gold (rebranded Wix) are best. Barring that, Motorcraft is alright.

7 Definitions of a living thing: Cells, Organization, Energy Use, Response to Environment, Growth, Reproduce, Adapt.

Vehicles are composed of many subsystems with specific rolls (like cells)
Organizations of many simple machines
They consume Energy (fuel and air)
They respond to the environment (cold, hot, wet, dry makes a difference)

They just dont grow, reproduce, or inherently adapt ...

Think of a motor as living creature. It breaths, eats, and produces waste.
You don't want to breath polluted air and eat nothing but fast food.
Well, neither does your motor. Feed it well and it will reward you for it.

Just like taking vitamins, you can give your vehicle supplements.
Just like vitamins, some of those supplements are bull.
Do your research before selecting these or beware ...

(Note: Yes, I know there's many different definitions of living things.)

:)

33, Steam engines are living, breathing creatures... internal combustion engines, not so much...

:) wheels

Test Data and Walmart Cost Summary

1. 0W40 Mobil 1 “FS” European Car Formula, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, API SN, synthetic = 127,221 psi 
$22.88/5qts

2. 0W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, synthetic (gold bottle) = 124,393 psi
 $20.24/5qts

3. 5W30 Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved (silver bottle) = 123,470 psi
$24.97/5qts

4. 5W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved, synthetic (gold bottle) = 121,396 psi
$20.25/5qts

5. 5W30 Mobil 1, Advanced Full Synthetic, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved = 117,799 psi
$22.88/5qts

6. 10W30 Mobil 1, Advanced Full Synthetic, API SN = 115,635 psi
$22.88/5qts

7. 5W20 Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage, API SN, dexos 1 approved, synthetic blend (red bottle) = 114,125 psi
$16.97/5qts

Followed by other Mobil 1, Quaker State and Pennzoil synthetics, all other conventional oils. Valvoline synthetic blend is the best value/ performance at conventional oil price. For higher mileage cars, best oil for the money.

FYI, almost ALL major auto parts stores will price match to Walmart. Their prices can be significantly higher. There can also be coupons found in store and online to further reduce these prices.

Gideon33w said:
Can't tell ya how many vehicles I've seen with crap oil pressure caused purely by crap oil filters.
Quick lube places and people thinking they are buying good with Fram are the big issues.

You've seen zero. There's nothing wrong with Fram.
Modern oil and modern filters are more than sufficient for anything anyone on this forum is using them for.
That includes competition, beyond 8k RPM.

Maintenance that nominally follows your owner's manual works.
Someone's demand that it go beyond that is snake oil.

The 'Ol scare machine, started and running well.

Fram sells 4 filter quality/ types. The top two are comparative in quality to anything on the market as reported by others. The bottom two have been criticized and considered questionable. But if changed frequently, in normal driving conditions, acceptable yet debatable? Based upon ones preference?
 Is there any hard data to support pro or con?
 Ex., the Toyota engine sludge issue? 
Actual cause and effect? Multiple variables?

Comments supported with data and facts are appreciated. Negative comments and opinions, not so much and reflects upon the post-er.