Know Your Motor Oil

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't bore you with my oil opinion, but filters are a different story.  When I worked for a Dodge dealer in the 90"s I had a customer with a newish Dodge diesel who bought an oil sending unit because his oil pressure was lower than he thought it should be.  A couple months later he came back wanting me to warranty the first one I had sold him.  Without asking him what filter he used I looked him in the eye and said if he bought a Dodge approved filter and throw away that piece of junk fram filter his problems would be over.  I sold him a filter and when I saw him later he said it had taken care of the problem.  FILTERS MATTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TONS of people have gotten oil pressure issues from Fram filters.
The only one worth buying is the Ultra (even then, I don't personally use them).
They are the only offering from Fram with synthetic and wire backed media.
Rest is just unsupported paper garbage.

I've liked and used K&N oil and air filters for a number of years. I also use BG MOA oil additive as part of every oil change. What do some of you think about the high mileage oils? I've began using the Castrol high mileage (> 75,000 miles) oil in my vehicle.

introverting said:
I've liked and used K&N oil and air filters for a number of years.  I also use BG MOA oil additive as part of every oil change.  What do some of you think about the high mileage oils?  I've began using the Castrol high mileage (> 75,000 miles) oil in my vehicle.

My first thought here is that  75,000 miles is not what I would consider high. I think if you use a good quality oil and filter while changing them every 3,000 miles, you should be in good shape.

There is a mental bookmark in my head from years ago that Pennzoil oil had some problems and should be avoided.  Today I was told that has been fixed and it is an acceptable oil now.  Anyone know for sure?

Any opinions on O'Reilly Auto Parts oil filters?  I think the brand is MicroGard.

Tom

highdesertranger said:
Wix or Napa Gold is the only filters I use.  for all my filters.  highdesertranger

THIS. Mind you, Napa Gold is just a relabelled Wix filter but it is Wix or Motorcraft for me (Wix preferably) and Mobile1 with some MMO.

Latest posts