Ohio Law Forbidding Living In Vehicles In Trailer Parks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcurtin1962

Reaction score
I had to stop into a trailer park office to make a delivery. I asked them why I never see any RVs in trailer parks, was a law or their preference? I was told that in the state of Ohio it was illegal for anybody to live in any "readily movable vehicle"  and all trailers had to have the axles removed. The lady said she got calls about lots for tiny houses all the time but had to turn people away because of state law. So much for easing into full timing!

That's not unusual at all!

Municipalities have zoning by-laws and zoning regulations that govern what each piece of property (by area) can be used for.

Manufactured homes are taxed with property tax whereas trailers are either taxed or not by way of vehicle tags and the vehicle revenue goes to the state.

Very rarely shall either of the twain meet. I did know of one park in Florida that had a mix but it's highly unusual.

Tiny  homes are a separate issue altogether - some are built to be moved on a trailer frame, some are meant to be permanent. The biggest problem with siting a tiny home is that a lot of zoning regulations require that the home be of a square footage that drastically exceeds the normal size of a tiny home. Property taxes are based mostly on the value of a home and the municipalities are intent on maximizing tax revenue. They want you to build that 4,000 sq foot home on a lot not much bigger!!

I used to live in a rural area where a lot of people lived in trailers and RVs. It bothers me that an entire state made this illegal. What could be the reason? I'm about to give up my apartment to go live in a van. I am guessing I would be able to visit that state to camp or boondock at Walmart... but would not be able to legally reside there. Right?

Keep "just passing through" and TPTB don't care, worst case scenario move on across to the next jurisdiction.

If you haven't ever been told, "we don't want your kind 'round here", you've lived a life of incredible privilege, be grateful for that, and realize for some it never stops.

Yep, it's a "trailer park" as Almost There stated. Ohio isn't that out of line with other states of similar population and related operation expenses. I suppose you could stay there if you were willing to take the wheels off your RV... dunno :)

John61CT said:
If you haven't ever been told, "we don't want your kind 'round here"...

I've lived in parts of the country where renting instead of buying a house gets you automatically classified as low life scum and probably a criminal, even if you're, say, a young person working your way up in a white collar job. Hell, I've lived in places where painting your house a color just a fraction off from one of the five HOA-approved shades of beige will cause a riot. There are people who invent reasons to be offended, reasons to exclude and feel superior to others.

you stated....'I was told that in the state of Ohio it was illegal for anybody to live in any "readily movable vehicle" and all trailers had to have the axles removed. '

It isn't that dramatic that the entire state is illegal. It isn't at all. It applies to certain situations.
It is certain zoned areas. It is about home insurance also. It is about mortgages. In NC single/double wide manufactured homes can be on or off trailer and to receive a bank loan and/or home insurance it has to be off trailer or it can be moved and disappear etc. and no bank is going to finance a manufactured home to be on axles/wheels mostly.

it is about zoning and more. You can buy your own personal land, put on an rv and live. then again, be sure to check your zoning, ya never know tho :)

I bet it is more about that "park" and it's particular zoning and other permits. Down road a bit, you will find a differing classification and be permitted a "house on wheels".

Weight said:
I bet it is more about that "park"...

Sometimes "it's against the law" is just someone's BS excuse for not doing something.

travelaround said:
I used to live in a rural area where a lot of people lived in trailers and RVs. It bothers me that an entire state made this illegal. What could be the reason? I'm about to give up my apartment to go live in a van. I am guessing I would be able to visit that state to camp or boondock at Walmart... but would not be able to legally reside there. Right?
The state hasn't made it illegal to live in a travel trailer or an RV. They have made it illegal to allow that type of unit on that classification of property.

It all depends on the zoning of the property that you want to 'live on'.

If it's zoned as a mobile/manufactured home park then no, you probably would run in to a zoning/by-law officer that would tell you that your 'housing unit' ie. the van is not allowed in that area. If it's zoned as a campground, no problem.

That is, if you lived there long enough to attract the attention of a by-law officer or some other authority. If the property manager even allowed you to start living there in the first place.

The whole reason we have wheels is so that we're mobile as opposed to stationary.

Almost There said:
The state hasn't made it illegal to live in a travel trailer or an RV. They have made it illegal to allow that type of unit on that classification of property.

Thanks for clarifying that! It makes a lot more sense to me now. Good to know that Ohio isn't against all van/RV dwellers.

RoamerRV428 said:
it is about zoning and more.  You can buy your own personal land, put on an rv and live.  then again, be sure to check your zoning, ya never know tho :)

Oh, I see you and a few others made this distinction too. Didn't mean to pass up your posts.

Good thing... because Ohio is one state I've thought about moving to - or at least spending a lot more time in. I am intrigued by possible ancient history research in that state.

John61CT said:
Keep "just passing through" and TPTB don't care, worst case scenario move on across to the next jurisdiction.

You have been told about this use of unexplained or undefined letter usage by a moderator and yet continue to post this way. It's as if the moderator is as the mother who doesn't back up her idle threats of discipline and the children knowing this continue to misbehave. When speaking or texting a consideration for the listener or reader is appropriate and not at all difficult.

Alas, "living" in a tiny house or RV or whatever will often run afoul of zoning laws, building codes, and/or occupation permits.

Generally, there are good reasons for those codes.

RoamerRV428 said:
it is about zoning and more. You can buy your own personal land, put on an rv and live. then again, be sure to check your zoning, ya never know tho :)

In most of the areas I'm familiar with around SW Ontario, Canada, the rule is that you can have an RV or camper on your property ONLY if there is already a house there you're living in. Of course you see sometimes properties where it looks like they're breaking the rules, but eventually they crack down on such things.

I can see both sides, sort of. If anyone is allowed to do anything they want, it can affect others around them. It's the bad apples that spoil it for the rest of us.

rm.w/aview said:
You have been told about this use of unexplained or undefined letter usage by a moderator and yet continue to post this way. It's as if the moderator is as the mother who doesn't back up her idle threats of discipline and the children knowing this continue to misbehave. When speaking or texting a consideration for the listener or reader is appropriate and not at all difficult.

Treat it like a game. It came to me eventually: "The powers that be".

Funny thing, a trailer is considered a vehicle, so those laws must be specifically limited to manufactured housing. I can somewhat understand a local ordinance to distinguish a mobilehome park from a RV park/resort, which is more short-term in nature.

I agree WanderingCanuck, a lot of times it is even a no go with a home on land to set up true living in an rv.…..one has to be sure where the property is before buying if rv is allowed. The further away from bigger cities, town center etc. you have better zoning options for sure.

It is not impossible by any means to find land, set up rv and live your life. Just have to be very aware of where one is going to do just that :)

in general....laws, omg there are so many freaking laws. something I can't stand anymore about this world. but with so many humans doing whatever the heck they want, when they want, I guess we have no choice really, but geez.

travelaround said:
Thanks for clarifying that! It makes a lot more sense to me now. Good to know that Ohio isn't against all van/RV dwellers.

There's an additional wrinkle - in my state, the length of stay in a private RV resort is also limited, I believe to six months per year, even on a resort lot that you own. They really don't want anyone living full-time in an RV. Some people in these resorts buy two lots, each with its own RV, and just move from one to the other every six months. 

I'll bet Ohio has some RV resorts, call one to ask whether your length of stay is limited.