Oh My! I did it! Bought 2003 Chevy Express 2500 Access. Now what?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keightley

Reaction score
Buying this vehicle was an adventure from start to finish to say the least.  I will spare you all the dramatic details but in a nutshell...  I flew into LAX and picked up the vehicle in Orange County.  I had the shelving removed as well as the nasty rubber mat in the cargo area by a person I found off of craigslist.  So it took me a while to get out of LA.  As I drove it out of LA on my way home to Salt Lake City, I found that the A/C was intermittent.  That didn't help when the vehicle started to overheat in 110 degree weather about 80 miles from Las Vegas.  Got it to Las Vegas by turning on the defroster at high heat.  The next day I had the vehicle detailed and repaired.  He replaced the temperature controller and recharged the A/C.  Unfortunately he over-pressurized (?) the A/C so as I drove out of Los Vegas the A/C was blowing hot air.  About 2am I decided I was too tired to drive and if I kept at it I would end up killing someone. So I stopped at the first hotel I saw and got room for some much needed sleep.   A few hours later I was back on the road.  Thank god my A/C was ice, ice cold.  I made it into Salt Lake City around 12 noon.  Yes... this is the short of it.  And yes... I am financially very, very broke. LOL  That said, I do get paid on Friday so I want to know what to do next.

I need new tires.  The tread on the current tires are relatively good yet I live in a very changeable and extreme climate.   Is there such thing as a tire that will be good in both summer and winter conditions as well as on highways and dirt roads?  I don't intend to do any extreme off road trips but I do intend to explore some unpaved roads.  

The engine is in pretty good shape but the mechanic in Vegas said there are things that could be done to make it better.  He has two Chevy Express for his business and he keeps them immaculate condition.  He laughed and say he was OCD about the engine and maintenance.  So I am thinking that I need to take it to a mechanic here and get a list of things that need to be done to make it better.  I do know that it needs a good oil change.  But other than that I have no clue.

It needs a new drivers seat.  There is a huge tear in the seat right underneath where my left butt cheek sits.  Some of the foam is gone exposing a metal rod.  It makes for a very uncomfortable ride at the moment.

The headliner needs to be replaced.

There is a fist size dent in the front passenger side door.  I am trying to determine if it would be cheaper to replace the door all together or have the dent repaired.  

It needs a paint job as there are some areas that are peeling.  I am thinking of painting the entire exterior and interior with u-pol raptor or LineX. 

This entire journey to having a comfortable livable van home will be a project done in stages as I have money to do so.  That said, what is the very first thing I need to do?  I am thinking the oil change and diagnostic by the mechanic.  Then tires.  Repair anything the mechanic says I need to have done as well as any engine modifications he suggest.  New seat. New headliner. New door.  New paint job.  And then begin converting the interior cargo area into a livable space.

What do you all think?

Keightley

Let's see if I can put the answers in some kind of order for you!

Tires - no help on what to replace them with but first of all check the dates on the tires

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

If the tread is still okay and they are not out of date (more than 5 years old), IIWM I'd move the tire replacement down the list. Replacing tires that still have good tread on them needn't be a priority.

Mechanical is definitely first on the list. You'll be much happier working on the interior/body exterior knowing that the mechanical is up to par.

Drivers' seat - you might be able to swap out the drivers seat for the passenger seat to at least give you a decent seat. If that's not possible then pick up the cheapest one you can from a scrap yard. I say cheapest because you're probably going to want to put in a swivel base for the passenger side and a pair of matching seats, either stock or captains chairs but that can be done later, right now you need not to have metal against your butt... :D 

The Passenger side door - if you're going to be painting with bed liner or other textured paint anyways then it would be cheaper to just have the dent pulled. Most dents can be pulled out satisfactorily for that type of paint job because little marks aren't going to show after the paint in on.

Headliner - you can either find one at the scrap yard that will match your intended interior or you  might possibly be able to cover the existing one with fabric of your choice.

Hope this helps and congratulations on the new van!

Living in extreme temperatures you will probably be insulating the roof and taking out the headliner any way. You may be able to pull the inner door panel and push the dent out from the inside if the door is still sealing and closing well I wouldn't worry about it, you won't feel so bad when it gets scraped up boondocking. Tires can wait till they wear out and new ones are on sale if you'll be mainly parked while building. Mechanical now, compression check, oil, fluids and filter change and spend some time underneath just looking at things to see if there is anything that just don't look right. When in cools off this fall come down to Lake Powell for a test run I'll take you fishing.

Congrats on the new van and crazy trip to get it!
If it was my van:

Mechanical Issues (Most important in my opinion)
Tires (Safety first yo)
Drivers seat (or both) maybe junkyard seat(s) for now?
Headliner
Paint/Bodywork
Insulation
Water system
Solar
Bed/Interior cabinetry

Something like that.... Hope this is helpful to you, we look forward to your progress.

The absolute first dang thing is pictures!

Or it didnt happen....

;)

Not sure what is meant or intended by 'engine modifications'....get it in good shape and verify it for awhile before you let anyone talk you into a 'modification'....

Anyway congrats on the new van...crazy journey to go get it tho...

Congrats! What a memorable trip!

Yes, anything safety related first - e.g. tires. When I buy tires, I want them to be good in the rain. I once had absolutely terrible tires (new) and they were a real safety hazard on wet streets. The few extra bucks are really worth it.

Almost There said:
Drivers' seat - you might be able to swap out the drivers seat for the passenger seat...
No, the short end of the seatbelt is built into the seat. If you swap seats the belt would be on the wrong side. However, someone could get a butt cushion and a cheap seat cover. Or they could spend some bucks on eBay for a factory replacement seat cover.

^^^ You're right - I was thinking in terms of the maybe as in the arm rest might interfere with the fit but the seat belt attachment would also screw things up.

All good advice. 

Walmart will have either a foam seat cushion that could be used or cut down to fit.
A fabric shop could find you a chunk of foam you could (ugly) tape in. 
The work vans often have split drivers seats from all the usage, a wrecking yard seat could be just as bad. Maybe get a quote on a redo of the seat from an upholstery shop.

Is it a 1/2 ton van? You could use "all-season" P rated car tires, most 1/2 tons use them. There's also PXL (extra load) that many new 1/2 ton pickups come from the factory with. They (P rated) aren't the best for sidewall squirm but they are less expensive than an LT tire. If you have a 3/4 or 1 ton then it's LT only. Anything with a well siped side tread will be better for wet and snow traction, the trade-off is highway noise. You likely don't need a true "snowflake" stamped mud and snow tire unless you drive a lot in those conditions.

Always update the mechanicals first, safety related too. Cosmetics come later.

This world isn said:
All good advice. 

Walmart will have either a foam seat cushion that could be used or cut down to fit.
A fabric shop could find you a chunk of foam you could (ugly) tape in. 
The work vans often have split drivers seats from all the usage, a wrecking yard seat could be just as bad. Maybe get a quote on a redo of the seat from an upholstery shop.

Is it a 1/2 ton van? You could use "all-season" P rated car tires, most 1/2 tons use them. There's also PXL (extra load) that many new 1/2 ton pickups come from the factory with. They (P rated) aren't the best for sidewall squirm but they are less expensive than an LT tire. If you have a 3/4 or 1 ton then it's LT only. Anything with a well siped side tread will be better for wet and snow traction, the trade-off is highway noise. You likely don't need a true "snowflake" stamped mud and snow tire unless you drive a lot in those conditions.

Always update the mechanicals first, safety related too. Cosmetics come later.

I really don't want to fugly anything just to do it. Besides, I have already put a cover over it and it doesn't look bad.  The hole is just a bit uncomfortable.   I have been without a vehicle for five years.  I can go a bit more until I can afford a brand new seat.  So with that in mind, can someone tell me this.  Do I have to replace the drivers seat with a standard chevy express cargo driver's seat or can I install from a different brand of vehicle into the chevy?  Maybe an RV seat like this? 

5694279-wildax-pulsar-3.jpg

5694281-wildax-pulsar-4.jpg

In fact, I like the grey and the white leather. The table between them is pretty awesome too.  Another space saving table idea placement I think!   :)

Keightley

Attachments

• 5694279-wildax-pulsar-3.jpg
    5694279-wildax-pulsar-3.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 5694281-wildax-pulsar-4.jpg
    5694281-wildax-pulsar-4.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 18
Just type in "van seat" or Chevy Express seat" into your search engine, lots of things will come up from specialty rv shops, JcCWhitney, eBay resellers, that sort of thing. You can find a "conversion van" style seat if wanted, the most economical would be a wrecking yard replacement. Not all are trashed. I'm not sure of fit between years it it's likely they never changed the seat frame/pedestal from say, 2003 and up, maybe all the way from the 1996 redesign... Junkyard can tell you, or a Chevy dealer parts department.

Oh, I just typed in "Chevy Express replacement seat" and it appears that 1997-2011 were the same... Dicks Auto Parts has this:

97-11,12-16 Chevy Express/GMC Savanna Van Pair LH & RH Gray Cloth Bucket Seats

SKU: C-V16PF -
This is for a pair LH & RH OEM Takeout 2016, Chevy Van Gray Cloth Bucket Seats w/Arms w/Drivers and Passenger's Power Hole! These are new factory takeouts and you are getting a LH & RH Seat with the Long Lever. These do recline!

The seats are like new. You may find a couple small indents and a few scuffs on the bottom of the seat, due to handling and moving around in concrete ground, but will not affect the seat or appearance. Please see all pics for further details.
These seats had an airbag in the side of them, that has been removed. These seats have 2 zippers in the back that allow you to access the airbags and remove them. On the side of the seat there was a black Airbag tag that has been cut off since the airbags are no longer in the seat.
These came off power seat bases but Manual seat peds will still bolt up and work fine with these seats. The only difference is the power unit in the front. I do not have chrome or switches to put in the front. I don't have the rest of the power wires and bases to make yours a driver with power.
These also have a black check in the material where some older vans had a multi colored check.

Application: 2010-2016 Chevy Express/GMC Savanna Full Size G-Van Bucket Seat, with fit in 97-09 Chevy Express/GMC Savanna Vans! Just taller by about 2 1/2"!

That's one example of a near new replacement. Don't know about legalities with missing airbags...

just a FYI any seat can be repaired to better than new by a competent upholstery shop and the color combinations are endless. be very wary of engine mods to a computer controlled engine. oh yeah we need pics. highdesertranger

Sounds like you had an adventure getting the van.... but now the real fun begins. I think I might like building out my van just as much as I like taking trips in it. Not sure what I'm going to do when the build is done.

You can get a replacement seat bottom pretty cheap and easy to diy.
Tires: I would recommend an all terrain tire. My two favorites are BF Goodrich a/t ko2's and Goodyear wrangler Duratracs.  
Congrats on the van, hope you enjoy it!

Might be able to get a seat at the junkyard. Or even seat covers depending on how bad they are.

What mechanical things we're recommended?