Oh Happy Day!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargazer

Reaction score
Last April, I lost my little furry Kirby.  She was my best buddy for 14 years, from van to TT to fifth wheel to Class B to mini van, from Texas to Maine to Alaska (where she barked at the bears) to California and everywhere in between.  I wasn't going to get another but it has been so lonely without her.  She was the last of the five I've had for the past 30+ years.

So...today, I committed to a new best friend.  She is not born yet, due any day now, a Havanese.  It has been a long search for the right breed for me and the right breeder. I gave up on the shelters, mostly bigger dogs, breeds that I know would require more than I could or would want to handle.  I won't get her for at least two months but I am excited.  A puppy!  A travel companion.  I now have to live another 15 years.  And finish tricking out my mini van for more adventures!  I'm happy.

congrats, I can tell you are very happy. I have just started looking after losing my buddy over a year ago, just keeping my eye open at the moment. highdesertranger

I’d really like to have a dog too. It’s been a long time since I lost my best bud Sam. I’m thinking maybe a mini Australian shepherd

The national dog of Cuba.  Those are cute, small, long lived and prob smart due to part poodle. I approve.   ~crofter

Congrats on your new fur baby, Havanese are a fabulous breed! Please post pics once you have him/her!

Santa brought me a third mini Aussie to keep Soren and Frazz young(their pic is my avatar)...because 3 makes us a circus, and who doesn’t love a circus?

Side note to Cammalu: get a mini Aussie NOW!

Thanks all!

I considered Aussie, Border Collie as working breeds are smart and fun, and the shelters here are full of them along with pits, but at my age and with a really small yard, it wouldn't be fair to the dog.  My mom, now 95, has a border collie who is aging and can no longer get into a vehicle and weighs 75#!  I decided that in 10 years, can I still take care of a big dog? And even now, how would I exercise it?  The last year with my little Kirby made me realize how glad I was she was small since I had to carry her down steps and assist her a lot.  A lot of thought and research was put into this choice.

My dwelling/long road trip days are probably over and I am ok with that for now.  I now live in beautiful country within 15 minutes of national forest camping and have all the gear etc so summer weekends of camping and fishing are on the menu.  Any long distance (500+ miles) trips will most likely be by air and my companion must fit under the seat in a plane, or I will buy a second ticket.  (S)he WILL go with me!  Love me, love my dog.  "That's all I have to say about that."

So my Amazon shopping cart is filling up.  I will do things a little differently this time around.  This time, I am retired and will be home all days with time to really train and play!  Not just fetch, maybe dancing, maybe set up a little dog agility course in my little yard. Won't that be fun!

If I can figure out how to post pics, when I get her in a couple of months, I will surely do so.

To all who are considering a pet, best wishes!  Love is in the air.

HDR,

I did not know you lost your pal. My heartfelt sympathy. I swore no more, Mom is laughing at me now, "You said no more but I knew you would cave!" Yep.

Havanese...dang that's a cute breed! Looks like something Disney created, LOL.

Situational Awareness.

You handled it perfectly and didn’t get sucked in.

Speedhighway46,

Thank you. Getting better at this as I grow older and hopefully wiser.

It's a GIRL!  Born Jan 18, black with white booties and a white blaze on her chest.  We will meet in about two weeks.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Congrats!!!! It's hard to imagine solo travel life without a furry side kick.