offroading a van or minivan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsfish said:
Beware the headline reading "4 Ton" capacity. If you read all of the description you will find.

"With a maximum rated capacity of 8,000 pounds (4,000 pounds used as a single line) and a safe working load of 4,000 pounds (2,000 pounds used as a single line)"

Looks like it is really a 2 ton. Also to get the maximum pull by using the block the pull is reduced to just over 7'.

Guy

so use its as dual line. a fully loaded Astro is probably about 5-6000lbs so maybe need to find a stronger one, or get two. but its not like i'm trying to lift the van off the ground, just pull it out of a ditch, and we have two people so one on the winch, one on the gas.

for me, i think this is the way to go since i hope never to have to use it. its, cheap, stores away well, requires no hookups, can use front, back, side, whatever floats my van.

Do you read these posts? I recommended that back in post #27.

I have that Tektonic and recommend it. A buddy and I got his 4x4 van unstuck with his 2 ton come-along no problem so I bought this one to have on hand but got the 4 ton for a safety margin.
Bob

steveh2112 said:
lots to think about, i wonder if something like this is better
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5547-4...ie=UTF8&qid=1426385099&sr=8-11&keywords=winch
or a beefier version of it
certainly a lot cheaper and easy to store

12' pull isn't very far but i guess you get some chain or tow ropes as well to extend the range a bit

I used one of those once when I was much younger, to pull my father's tractor out after he got it buried to the axles in our bottom pasture.

Personally, I would work a minimum wage job for however long I had to to raise the money for a REAL winch before I would head off-road with just one of THOSE as my recovery gear.