The perfect length?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Donahue

Reaction score
With a 1991 24’ Lazy Daze RV, and a 2013 Ford Transit Connect, I think sometimes about splitting the length difference and getting a van. Definitely one that I could stand up in... let's say 6’2” floor to ceiling. And the shortest van possible, given that height. Other considerations: I don't need 4WD or AWD, but I go off-road a lot in the TC and need at least that much ground clearance. Also, just a simple no-side-window look for stealth camping if, God forbid, I have to go to Phoenix or Los Angeles. Gasoline engine instead of diesel. Any suggestions are very welcome! Will buy used, not new. Have no idea what makes are the most dependable after the new wears off, or which have the most widespread service and parts availability. And personally, at 77 I like simpler driver controls rather than elaborate... the fewer bells and whistles, the better. Any ideas?

With a 1991 24’ Lazy Daze RV, and a 2013 Ford Transit Connect, I think sometimes about splitting the length difference and getting a van. Definitely one that I could stand up in... let's say 6’2” floor to ceiling. And the shortest van possible, given that height. Other considerations: I don't need 4WD or AWD, but I go off-road a lot in the TC and need at least that much ground clearance. Also, just a simple no-side-window look for stealth camping if, God forbid, I have to go to Phoenix or Los Angeles. Gasoline engine instead of diesel. Any suggestions are very welcome! Will buy used, not new. Have no idea what makes are the most dependable after the new wears off, or which have the most widespread service and parts availability. And personally, at 77 I like simpler driver controls rather than elaborate... the fewer bells and whistles, the better. Any ideas?

Sounds like a Ford Transit High Top Cargo 250 or 350 would well suit your purposes. I believe its wider and might allow sleeping across instead of lengthways.

The height and ease of driving are great. Not expensive to fix vs Mercedes.

Humble Road (I believe) has a good comparison video on the Promaster vs Transit .

If you want an OEM high roof van, your choices are limited to the NV (I don't know anything about it so I'm going to ignore it), Sprinter, Transit, and Promaster.

Under various badges, high roof Sprinters have been available since 2003. Used ones sell for a premium compared to the other vans, but really old ones can be cheap. If you don't want diesel, that eliminates most (but not all) Sprinters. It has the fewest service centers of any other van and it has the highest operating cost. I bought a Sprinter last year.

The high roof Ford Transit has been available in the US since 2015. It has the highest sales volume of any van in America (and I think, the world). The high roof only comes in the 148" wheelbase with either the standard or the extended body. There are more places to get a Transit serviced than any other van. If I had had a choice, I would have bought a Transit.

The Promaster has been available in the US since MY 2014. It is the cheapest of the three, new or used. The high roof comes in a 136" wheelbase. At under 18' this is the shortest high roof van available. There is also a 159" wheelbase with either a standard or extended body. It is the only FWD van but it has the lowest clearance, so its stock off road capability is the poorest of the vans. But nothing trumps off road driving skills.

Here's a website with a chart of the dimensions of the vans:
https://sportsmobile.com/van-dimensions/
Happy Shopping!

From my research about vans (not first-hand experience):

(1): IIRC, On some forum, when debating used UHaul vans, someone claiming as former UHaul mechanic, VERY STRONGLY advised NOT to buy a used UHaul van. He said UHaul has very detailed statistics about what is going wrong with each vehicle, and sells it only and exactly when they feel it will break soon and is not worth maintaining. So I exclude UHauls from my search.

(2): Front-wheel drive, like ProMaster, might have hard time to climb up 0ver rough terrain (when weight is on the rear wheels and has little traction), so I exclude ProMaster too.

That leaves the Ford...

I let experts explain me where I am wrong with these suggestions :)

Hey Jon,

Don't rule out a Ford E250 (vans last made in 2015 but solid vans) or a Chevrolet Express Van and adding a high top. We started looking in 2021 and had the ability to purchase any of the different van makes (Sprinter, Transit, ProMaster...) and decided on a 10 month old 2020 Express Van. We wanted the extra length. I have driven cargo vans for work since the 80's and also had a fleet of 25+ vans under my team and decided on the Express Van 2500. I do admit it would be nice to have the high top already but we didn't mind working with Fiberine to add the 24" fiberglass top that gives us about 6' 4" headroom with windows to see out at the top. Just a thought! Our 2nd choice was the Transit medium roof but LWB.

I'm a hair over 6 foot and I make do in a Transit Med roof, SWB.
Thats 130" wheel base. 19 feet and some change bumper to bumper.
The Med Roof Transit is just tall enough for me to stand up in the middle. But then I lost 2 inches on the floor, and a bit on the cieling.
So now I can't stand all the way up, but you know what, the only time I need to stand up in my van is when I am putting on pants. Even then I'm not standing up all the way. Standing up is for being outside and walking. In my van I am moving from sitting one place to sitting in another, to laying down in a bed.

Ford Econolines are solid. They have been basically the same design for 30 years.
You can find high roof versions which were converted for handicap access. They are tall enough to stand up in no problem.
But you have to wrangle the wheelchair lift out of the back or the middle.
Helped a friend do it and it wasn't fun.
Plus side, they have big engines, some even have V10.
So they roar up hills, pull trailers no problem.
They sit pretty high, epsecially if you have a 300 or 350.
So you can go down rough rutted roads no problem.
Downside, abysmal gas mileage. Like half what I get in my Transit.
I've had trouble getting them to pass emissions before. But then I used to always buy 20-30 year old vehicles for a long time. Super broke!

I'm a hair over 6 foot and I make do in a Transit Med roof, SWB.
Thats 130" wheel base. 19 feet and some change bumper to bumper.
The Med Roof Transit is just tall enough for me to stand up in the middle. But then I lost 2 inches on the floor, and a bit on the cieling.
So now I can't stand all the way up, but you know what, the only time I need to stand up in my van is when I am putting on pants. Even then I'm not standing up all the way. Standing up is for being outside and walking. In my van I am moving from sitting one place to sitting in another, to laying down in a bed.
I don't know why but I did not think the med roof van had that much room. I will verify that height for my self. if it really is almost 6 ft that will solve my vehicle problem for space. I have been looking for a step van, bus or box truck. the only one with a low floor is the step van, but most have a diesel engine. I do not want to also have to use Def when getting fuel. and pre Def motors I think were before 2006. then the high roof van's cost is much higher then low or med roof vans. one of my requirements for a future home is, I must be able to stand up inside. but a small space I can live with. not very often I get leg cramps during my nights sleep. and I need to stand up to get the cramp worked out of my leg. which I can not do in my Subaru outback wagon. thanks for letting me know about the space.

More than one person has asked me about my van, since the Transit is relatively new to the US.
Many are shocked it only comes with a V6. So many guys are accustomed to the old style V8 vans with huge displacement engines.
It is 6 foot in the middle. I think it was 74"? I'd have to find my written notes.
It's also 6 feet wide in the middle of the back. The ceiling narrows in, and the floor is narrower of course due to the wheel humps and the side door step. But I was able to get a 6 foot bed in the back. Albeit with only about an inch of insulation on either side.

I drive by several new car dealers. they only have used vehicles on the lot. they say it's because of the computer chip shortage. so why is it then I can buy a new phone, tablet, or computer of any make and they do not have a chip shortage. all products that use computer chips are available except new vehicles. which drives up the cost for all used vehicles. I follow Kevin Hunter The Homework Guy. for my car news and how to buy a new or used vehicle. one show says expect about 1 more year until the prices drop. and any one buying an over priced vehicle will be stuck with one they can't sale without being underwater. my only choice is to buy one at auction if I want it now. but that still takes time to find. plus I loose the option of having it inspected for problems. if I wait for the year to pass the next years model will cost more even if the chip problem is solved. covid has really messed with my plans and I have now lost 3 years due to it. so i am looking for a transit to build out. it meets all of my needs. not wants but needs.

all products that use computer chips are available except new vehicles.
maybe because there is more than one chip? And the ones for cars are less profitable, so they are on back order? Maybe it is not a conspiracy to make your life miserable, just capitalism working as it is supposed to?

covid has really messed with my plans and I have now lost 3 years due to it.

Appreciate that you are alive to be able to complain about it. More than 800K people just in USA are not able to complain because they died.

maybe because there is more than one chip? And the ones for cars are less profitable, so they are on back order? Maybe it is not a conspiracy to make your life miserable, just capitalism working as it is supposed to?

Appreciate that you are alive to be able to complain about it. More than 800K people just in USA are not able to complain because they died.
yes i am glad to be alive. planning my next trip but needing to figure out where i will be going to. and still looking for a more comfortable rig.