Off grid music, art and solitude

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a solo female of color who has been seriously daydreaming about rv living for well over a decade. I'm an introvert and over-thinker who often finds herself hiding away in my room when living with others. I'm like a cat who likes the safety of a cardboard box, but I don't want my box trapped in a house! The best time of my life was when I took a cross country trip alone when I was moving from NY to LA. Also have struggled to find the solitude I need to create my music, play my piano, sing as loud as I want, do some art and hangout with wildlife friends. I have my eye on an old 24' class C.... I hoping I'll get one in time to do a trial run this winter, and then go full-time by spring or summer. I've got a beautiful old 70s moped I might put on the back.
4aa1477110e4ac59bfeecd469b301764.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Welcome. There's lots of us introverts and overthinkers here, so you'll be among friends. The kind who will give you lots of space and appreciate your contributions.
Hope your dreams move into reality soon.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Copper there is an artsy nomad group that is an offshoot from the rtr. You might like camping with them.

I’m only confused by one thing... where ya going to put that piano?? [emoji16].

I want to see your old moped. Got photos?

What is the Class C? Have you already purchased?

Come on out to Arizona this winter. You’ll find your people everywhere.

I'd love to know more about this artsy rtr!

I'm looking at a 1993 Tioga Arro 24'. I have looked far and wide for an rv not from the 70s (though I really dig the 70s stuff, just don't want to deal with maintaining something so old) that has the three window panoramic lounge area in the back that is under 25' so I can rip out the benches and put my studio in there (my "piano" is a full-sized synth, a real one would go out of tune real fast and that's a lot of weight), and the only one I could find in decent shape is on the other side of the Rockies. Otherwise it doesn't seem to exist unless I'm lucky enough to come across a mid-bath Lazy Daze someday. Or I might leave that area as a lounge/bed and put the piano/studio where the dinette is. Either way I'm really attached to the panaramic view.

I haven't bought it yet, I'm still in the million questions phase, and I'm going to get it inspected especially since I can't see it in person.

I'm going to make a desk with this sort of hinge type of deal on top, but without all the fanciness and to maximize storage.

I thought of making a pull-out drawer, but that's more complicated and may take up for floor space while I'm using it.

Need to figure out how to power it all (keyboard, monitors, guitar amp, mic, computer, etc). But I'm really looking forward to playing Chopin and whatnot in the middle of nowhere.

And it is my goal to try and get to Quartzite this winter as a trial run before I go full time this spring/sumner. Would love to meet some of you folks.

Here's one of cheesiest photos of my moped (it was taken to sell the 60s polka dot skort). It's got side baskets and all! Sadly, does not go uphill very well.

402f9e96bd18fadd13a71e7f1d2bf22e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Would you mind moving out of the way so we can see more of the moped! Lol!!!

Very cool moped and photo. The skirt!! Polka dots!! Great stuff. I’m old and can remember.

Rubber Tramp Art Community is on Facebook.

There are lots of folks in Quartzsite already and it will be easy to find the groups. There are some groups that have youngsters your age but many more retirees.

A warning. Some groups are maintaining social distancing and masking and some groups somehow got stuck as teenagers in maturity and are invincible so are ignoring safety.

bullfrog: lol, sorry

Cammalu, thanks, I'll check out the FB group. And if I go I for sure will be keeping my distance. Also, I wouldn't call myself a youngster as this point (I'm way older than you think) but you made me feel good!

Cool Moped and skirt, love the polka dots. Welcome...from another newcomer. I'm an artist from California, but have been teaching at a college in Mississippi for 8 years. Back in California teaching remotely due to the pandemic. I'm in the process of converting a van into a mobile live/work studio space. I mostly paint, but sometimes get a vision and have to make something 3D, usually a Close Encounters of the Third Kind type of process. Really interested to see how you utilize the space if you get that mobile unit. Good luck, I hope it works out for you or you find something even better and make something interesting out of it.

Cammalu said:
...I’m only confused by one thing...  where ya going to put that piano?? ...
Welcome to the forum copper!

Electric piano will fit in the same space as the bed, so in the van I sleep with my piano. Pleasant dreams.
-crofter

Welcome, Copper!
Finding connectedness to Nature in undisturbed, mindful solitude has been my greatest gift of nomading...so far.

Going on a gold prospecting adventure with highdesertranger is second.

:D

Attachments

• download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    14.8 KB
crofter said:
Electric piano will fit in the same space as the bed, so in the van I sleep with my piano. Pleasant dreams.
-crofter

I love this. Thank you!

MaTaLa said:
Welcome, Copper!
Finding connectedness to Nature in undisturbed, mindful solitude has been my greatest gift of nomading...so far.

Going on a gold prospecting adventure with highdesertranger is second.

:D
Looking forward to the solitude, but I do sometimes have fantasies of gold prospecting as well.

copper said:
I love this. Thank you!
I was always worried that it would slide or fall off, but never happened even when slamming on the brakes. It usually rides loosly wrapped in an extra blanket.

At the rear of my 54 inch wide bed platform, I built a 12 inch box the length of the bed that I use as a bookcase/ nightstand, opening faces up. That leaves me with a 42 inch wide bed. The back side of this box also provides mounting space for sand ladders and hooks to land bungees in the rear garage area. 
-crofter