Notes from a "full-timer in training"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
For last couple of years i've been taking a series of 2-week and 3-week road trips in my Ford Expedition, partly for business purposes and partly to train myself for eventual full-time (urban) vandwelling. Here's what I've learned so far:

-Truck stops and travel/visitor centers are my favorite places to overnight.
-Sleeping in the car is no problem for me, as long as I use ear plugs.
-Earning my regular living works okay, thanks to the Internet.
-I do experience a kind of odd fatigue toward the end of the trips, but that may have something to do with the long distances I tend to travel. Or I may just need a roomier vehicle.
-I'm not interested in hanging out in my vehicle 24 hours a day, a fact which will help me survive hot temperatures at least.
-The Planet Fitness Black Card is my friend.
-I will want to beef up my wifi plan at some point.
-I tend to indulge in unhealthy foods on the road, and to overeat. In the long term, I would need to shop for balanced meals instead of scarfing down truck stop hot dogs. (But they're 2 for $3!)
-I will need to snowbird.
-I may rent a small storage unit to keep my S&B belongs in, just in case I change my mind and need to repopulate an apartment someday. Might also be useful for switching out seasonal clothing, etc.

I hope to learn more going forward. I still haven't figured out the whole "permanent address" thing to my satisfaction, re banking, IRS etc.

ganchan said:
-Earning my regular living works okay, thanks to the Internet.
This is probably the most important thing. Having a steady income on the road makes everything else a thousand times easier.

lenny flank said:
This is probably the most important thing. Having a steady income on the road makes everything else a thousand times easier.

With one caveat: I receive my fees via PayPal for the most part, and a few of my clients pay me via direct deposit to my checking account. I'll need to make sure neither of these institutions gives me trouble after i pull up stakes and give up my permanent physical address....

ganchan said:
With one caveat: I receive my fees via PayPal... I'll need to make sure neither of these institutions gives me trouble after i pull up stakes and give up my permanent physical address....

PayPal doesn't care. My account was set up three physical addresses ago and the email address I used as my ID hasn't existed for eight years. The account still works just fine.

lenny flank said:

This is why I will wait for a few years when I retire, and should be able to buy new, and travel in comfort, and style, but still boondocking, and seeking adventure.

Latest posts