Not all Cops are bad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Every Road Leads Home

Reaction score
Not all Police.jpgI copy and pasted this from the Massachusetts State Police Facebook page.  Nice to know this happens.  

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A Selfless Meal, and Conversation, for Two[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We were shown this picture from a third-party who had not taken the photo, nor knew anything about it, other than they thought it was taken in Fall River. After a little digging, we were able to locate the citizen who had taken the photo. The citizen said the well-dressed Trooper in a suit appeared to be having lunch with a panhandler on Davol Street in Fall River. The citizen was struck by what he saw, snapped the photo, and posted it to a Facebook group in Fall River, captioned “And they say chivalry is dead…….Much respect.” We are grateful to that person, who thought to take the photo and share it.[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]After a little more digging, we found out the trooper is Luke Bonin, who is assigned to the State Police Dartmouth Barracks. After reaching out to Trooper Bonin, he was a bit surprised that someone had taken his photo, stating that he wasn’t seeking or expecting any publicity for it. But we pressed him, and he very reluctantly told us how he ended up sitting on his cruiser’s bumper that day sharing lunch with a stranger.
Trooper Bonin had just left court when he drove by the woman, who appeared down on her luck. She was holding a sign and asking for help from anyone who would pay attention. Trooper Bonin continued to drive on – directly to a local establishment, where he ordered two meals. He returned to the woman, pulled up, and exited his cruiser. Thinking he was there to remove her from the side of the road, she immediately stated to him that she would leave, that she knew she shouldn’t be there with her sign. But Trooper Bonin told her, “I’m not here to kick you out.” He then extended the two meals and told her to pick one.
They then sat, shared a meal, and a conversation.
Yes, Trooper Bonin, we know you do not want or expect publicity. We know you didn’t want to be noticed, but you were, and the job is proud of you. We commend you for your selfless act, and for “doing the right thing” for someone less fortunate than most people.
We have extraordinary troopers on the Massachusetts State Police who conduct themselves honorably, and perform selfless acts, every day. Most times, it goes unnoticed. But not this day.[/font]

Attachments

• Not all Police.jpg
    Not all Police.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 30
Of course not all cops are bad. Very few are bad but they are the ones that get the media attention.

Evryone who walks out their door every morning, knowing he may die that day doing good for another human being is a good guy in my book. The few bads ones are just that, a few bad ones.

Thanks for sharing this!
Bob

When I was stuck outside Austin one night with a flat on the back of my motorcycle, and couldn't get a wrecker because it was 'bar thirty' I flagged down a Travis county deputy Sheriff, asking if maybe she could help
After finding I was up the creek re a tow truck, and reluctant to leave my bike by the side of the road there between Austin and Bastrop, she had the notion that the Austin Bergstrom Airport had a lot of car rental agencies that were 24 / 7
she took me to the Port, maybe 10 miles down the road, and waited there with me to be sure I wouldn't be stranded there
She didn't have to do all that for me
These are the officers who are a credit to their department

I had neighbors that were in LE. Great people. On the good cop bad cop, the issue I see is the good cops never seem to turn in or stop the bad ones. It is always someone else with a video camera captures the bad cop in action, and the others just stand there and watch. So the big problem seems to be their code of silence. If they turn the bad cop in they are considered to have betrayed their fellow officer.
Like every other occupation there are people in the field that have no business being there. But because of their "brotherhood", it is not likely they will ever be removed.
So I just hope I never piss off a bad Cop, because I am pretty sure none of the others will come to my defense. They will stand there and watch, and in their reports they will swear that I was combative, and force was necessary. Tell me it isn't so. Tell me the good Cops have no idea who the bad Cops really are.

Nice story, but I'm sorry - the statement "not all cops are bad" implies that most are, but you'll find a exception here and there. The fact is that the percentage of good and bad among any group of people is probably the same . Make the statement "not all (name the group of your choice) are bad, and it would be considered very bigoted, but people make those statements about the police all the time.
In my 59 years, apart from a couple of speeding tickets, I've never had an interaction with an on duty copy (not counting saying "hi, nice day, at a convenience store ). I tend to wonder what people are doing that draws so much attention from the police, and why they don't do some self examination.